Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help needed w totaled MS 100D - poll

What would you do ? if faced w total car loss of MS 100D w 88k miles/ life time free SC/data ?

• Buy used Tesla Model S 100D for ~$70k (~ 40k miles) [w full autopilot]

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Keep the totaled car->repair w private repair shop under $20k

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for your opinion on next steps -- either to replace w another used car or repair the totaled car ?
Facts:
Current Car: Model S 100D / 88k with life time free SC and life time data + Enhanced Auto Pilot (EAP)

At Fault Accident : Declared Total loss by insurance - As Tesla Collusion repair center estimated $55k+ (see damage picture/video)

Outstanding Loan Amount : 25k = Take home : $48k

Insurance is Offering : $75k (w $2k deduction) = Take home $ 73k -$25k = $48k take home

if buy back totaled car - I pay back $25k to insurance -->Take home = $48k - 25k for buy back= $23k take home

Cost to replace the car : $70-$75k but will not get Life Time Super Charging or premium connectivity.

Private Tesla Repair shop can fix the repair for $20k ( will charge $2k to re-enable SuperCharging as Tesla will disable SuperCharging on Totaled Car)

Options/Choices for the next steps :
1. Buy used car - likely spend similar amount $70k-$75k--> will need to finance $30k --> looking at 4% interest rate for 36 months.
2. Repair the car - $23k (Take home) -$20 k for repair - 2k (enable super charging) = $1k saving

Down side of Repair:
- For Tesla recorded this car as totaled - super charging will be disabled, may not support future repair until I get through High Voltage REpair Safety inspection ($2k)
- If this repaired car again goes into bad accident, it will have much lower value than clean title car
- repair may take longer, need to spend rental charges $1k per month (insurance won't cover)

Good side of repair (benefit of all down side) :)

Down side of Buying another used car:
- Need to finance $25-$30k - monthly installment for $900k for 36 months 4% interest rate
- loose life time super charging for
- loose life time data connectivity

Benefit of buying used car:
- mental peace w clean car
- quick access to replacement car
- newer model 2019- slightly higher range 50m
- can claim full amount in the event of total loss again.

$20K may be a great estimate but in my two repair scenarios there has always been hidden extras once teardown/examination is complete with supplemental claims submitted to insurance carrier.
I know if my 2016 S FUSC/lifetime data car were totaled I would agonize but realized awhile back that FUSC isn't as important as I once thought. The streaming, etc on my 2021 just expired and I can live without that as well.
My 2cents: move on with a newer car. As post two says: too much hassle,uncertainty, and a forever hobbled car.

You will not have free supercharging on a salvage title car either, because Tesla will disable it. Shady hacks to re-enable may not work forever, and you’ll be unable to do software updates moving forward.

Ditch the car. Nobody should own a rebuilt Tesla given how hostile the company is towards them. Supercharging is gone. Repairs and parts will be a problem forever moving forward.

You will not have free supercharging on a salvage title car either, because Tesla will disable it. Shady hacks to re-enable may not work forever, and you’ll be unable to do software updates moving forward.

This.

Your car while certainly repairable will no longer have access to any supercharging (free or otherwise). Best bet is to take the insurance settlement and replace with another.

I just took a quick look at EV-CPO and saw a 100D selling w/FSD for under $70k and several others between $70k and $75k so you can find replacements. The $10/month for premium connectivity shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

Reactions: KJD
This.

Your car while certainly repairable will no longer have access to any supercharging (free or otherwise). Best bet is to take the insurance settlement and replace with another.

I just took a quick look at EV-CPO and saw a 100D selling w/FSD for under $70k and several others between $70k and $75k so you can find replacements. The $10/month for premium connectivity shouldn't be a factor in your decision.
What are good sources of buying used Tesla ? Isn’t Tesla’s used inventory a good /reliable place ? Haven’t shopped for a Used car in ages

Like other posters said, there's high possibility you'll loose SC even if you re-enable it but there's nothing wrong with having a rebuilt car as long as you trust the shop. Plenty of used parts everywhere for these cars now, nothing to worry about.
If you wanna stick it to Tesla, then don't buy new car lol

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Here's another option: I wonder what @wk057 pays for these salvaged cars? Maybe he would be interested in buying it from you if you decide to move on to a different car, and give you $1000 for claiming it on his behalf? Or maybe he has a different 100D to sell you on some trade in deal?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am looking for your opinion on next steps -- either to replace w another used car or repair the totaled car ?
Facts:
Current Car: Model S 100D / 88k with life time free SC and life time data + Enhanced Auto Pilot (EAP)
At Fault Accident : Declared Total loss by insurance - As Tesla Collusion repair center estimated $55k+ (see damage picture/video)
Outstanding Loan Amount : 25k = Take home : $48k
Insurance is Offering : $75k (w $2k deduction) = Take home $ 73k -$25k = $48k take home
Take the 48k and buy a base model 3. Enjoy driving a Tesla WITHOUT a monthly car payment. :)