Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed with 2015 P90DL insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

i've just purchased the above (my first Tesla), and i'm finding it impossible to get insurance on it.

The only company that wants to insure it seems to be InsurMyTelsa.

All other companies say that there 2015 P90D does not exist, and it is either a personal import (which i know it isn't), or it was a low volume import, and hence falls out of their guidelines.

Doesn anyone else out there have one? Or know anyone with one, and who the car is insured with?

InsureMyTelsa quoted me $5500. Whereas the 2015 P85DL was quoted by RACV for $2300. As you can see its a huge difference, and starting to do my head in!

Please help!!!!

Dilin

Hey guys,

i've just purchased the above (my first Tesla), and i'm finding it impossible to get insurance on it.

The only company that wants to insure it seems to be InsurMyTelsa.

All other companies say that there 2015 P90D does not exist, and it is either a personal import (which i know it isn't), or it was a low volume import, and hence falls out of their guidelines.

Doesn anyone else out there have one? Or know anyone with one, and who the car is insured with?

InsureMyTelsa quoted me $5500. Whereas the 2015 P85DL was quoted by RACV for $2300. As you can see its a huge difference, and starting to do my head in!

Please help!!!!

Dilin

If you are the same person that Nick at Chadstone called me about, then the answer I gave him was that for some reason the P90D does not come up for most insurers and indeed at some states Motor Registration branches.
The L at the end of the model type is not necessary to quote.
A work around that the insurance companies seem to accept, is putting it down as an 85 and getting them to manually note on the policy that it is a 90 - which is effectively an upgrade of an 85 in batteries. RACV and NRMA list them as 85's but will manually note it as a 90. CGU initially had it as an 85 and noted as 90, but now just say it is a Model S P.
You should also take out agreed value and not market value. That way the payout, if written off, is fixed and there is no arguement about what they may want to replace it with.

Hi,

Yes I am the one that Nick from Chaddy called about.

He did tell me what you said, and I appreciate the advice. The only concern I have is that (knowing insurance companies) if I insure it as a P85D, and then have a total loss or worst case write off an even more expensive car, that they say that my car is not the correct car (listed on the insurance policy), and therefore will not be covered.

May i ask if you have had any accidents with your car since you bought it? and if so, have they ever brought the model difference up?

Thanks for you help.

Dilin

You need to get them to manually note it on their records as a 90 and have them email their acceptance of it as being a 90. That should cover you legally.
I have never had a claim, but if I did, I always felt comfortable I could prove the conversation when claiming via their oral agreement and my diary notes (and that's if they wanted to deny the claim, which I thought would be remote). Yes, insurance companies like to receive payment for cover and hate paying out, however if they are told it is a 90 and they understand and agree to take the risk (insure) then providing you can show that they were fully informed, there should not be a problem.

Hi Diiz,
I recently picked up a 2015 P90D with Ludicrous and I am in the same boat as you. However, I went with NRMA, one of the consultants in the online chat told me to select the 90D as it is "close enough", I even asked them if they were sure to which they replied "yes". Anyhow, I saved the transcript in case anything pops up.

For your situation, wouldn't selecting the P85D be a better choice? Anyway, i do appreciate your input, and I am in the process of trying to get the details i've supplied added to the policy. Hopefully i'll be able to get it done... Will keep you guys in the loop.

Also, for those guys who have already got their cars, i've just read that there are a few issues with our cars in particular. The battery degredation? Along with the actual power figures not being correct. Any ideas if that is correct?

Dilin

For your situation, wouldn't selecting the P85D be a better choice? Anyway, i do appreciate your input, and I am in the process of trying to get the details i've supplied added to the policy. Hopefully i'll be able to get it done... Will keep you guys in the loop.

Also, for those guys who have already got their cars, i've just read that there are a few issues with our cars in particular. The battery degredation? Along with the actual power figures not being correct. Any ideas if that is correct?

Dilin

Dilin
The actual power for all of them is 'sufficient' and the battery degradation with mine at 90,000 km and 3.5 years is 5%; so not really a problem as it's supposed to level out from now.

Find yourself a very good insurance broker, as they have no problem getting competative rates on a tesla. Half the price of the tesla option for the same cover (other than the wall connector) and its covered by one of the big insurers. My broker is in SA, but I dont think that matters. Had several claims over multiple cars, and he’s always managed that effectively for me.
If you would like his details feel free to PM me

Find yourself a very good insurance broker, as they have no problem getting competative rates on a tesla. Half the price of the tesla option for the same cover (other than the wall connector) and its covered by one of the big insurers. My broker is in SA, but I dont think that matters. Had several claims over multiple cars, and he’s always managed that effectively for me.
If you would like his details feel free to PM me
YOUI know about the P90D but may not unsure it.

Try Shannons they seem to be more helpful and do agreed value
Shannons we're downright rude to me when I tried to insure with them. They refused to give me a quote because I refused to tell them how I came to afford the vehicle. They had a huge problem with my jump from a $15,000 vehicle to a $120,000 vehicle and treated me like I was a criminal or something. I eventually spoke to a manager who quoted me $8,900 a year, obviously just trying to get rid of me. Never again.

@rohan3au it's pretty standard practice to ask if you have financing etc. when it comes to insurance....
That wasn't their question, their response was something along the lines of "you've gone from a $15k vehicle to a $120k vehicle and you need to see it from our side that it's pretty unusual, so we need to know where you got the money". It's none of their business, and none of the 10 insurance companies i've called to compare services seemed to care?

Reactions: Tension
Shannons didn't have the 2015 P90D either.... but i've got it covered with RACV now, and i've had it noted down on the policy.

Fingers crossed that this covers me.

Also, just picked up the car today..... OMG.... why didn't i do this earlier???? simply breathtaking.