Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed with damaged model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anybody can help with a grey 20 plate model 3 long range that had a bit of left front wing headlight damage. I’m repairing it and it won’t recognise the only keycard that came with it.
I’m guessing it’s a trip to Tesla but if anybody knows the previous owner the other keycard might do the trick? it would be appreciated.
Partial registration is BT20- -Y
Long shot but thanks in advance.

Thanks, I’ve tried it everywhere. It’s asking me to tap on the center console but nothing happening.
It’s saying software is up to date but I have asked Tesla if there could be a miss match. Not sure how helpful they will be in this instance.

Thanks, I’ve tried it everywhere. It’s asking me to tap on the center console but nothing happening.
It’s saying software is up to date but I have asked Tesla if there could be a miss match. Not sure how helpful they will be in this instance.
Are you placing it almost below the front of the armrest in the square provided?

If the card opens the car, then it will start the car. You need to put it on the centre console, not just “tap”. It basically needs to sit just in front of the arm rest.

Unlocked to start with. It doesn’t seem to lock it though. I have left the card on the console and it’s made no difference unfortunately.
I won’t come out of park or go into gear.
I’m getting a pulse from the foot brake when I press it.

Unlocked to start with. It doesn’t seem to lock it though. I have left the card on the console and it’s made no difference unfortunately.
I won’t come out of park or go into gear.
I’m getting a pulse from the foot brake when I press it.
If it won’t lock the car, it sounds like the wrong card. If the card did unlock it at first, it may be a low 12v battery issue If the main battery is low also.
If the card hasn’t worked at all for locking/unlocking. Check with Tesla or the source the car came from.

It’s never unlocked the car and I’ve fitted a brand new 12v battery.
Car came from the copart. Unfortunately they aren’t great at customer service in my experience. I have no way of finding or contacting the previous owner. Infact Copart expressly forbid it.
That’s the chance we take when we buy this way.
I appreciate everyone’s help with this. It’s frustrating but I’ll get to the bottom of it 🤞

It’s never unlocked the car and I’ve fitted a brand new 12v battery.
Car came from the copart. Unfortunately they aren’t great at customer service in my experience. I have no way of finding or contacting the previous owner. Infact Copart expressly forbid it.
That’s the chance we take when we buy this way.
I appreciate everyone’s help with this. It’s frustrating but I’ll get to the bottom of it 🤞
You could try a re-boot.
not knowing the software version try foot on brake press both scroll wheels and hold everything until the screen comes back on. On Earlier versions thé T logo comes on first. Should take between 30 and 60 seconds.
it could just be the wrong key card

Just checking my understanding here.

So just the one key card? The car is currently unlocked? This one key card doesn't work with the car at all.

This is an awkward one, as you also don't known the Tesla account the car is or was associated with - maybe it's been removed from the previous owners account already.

It's effectively a car where all the keys have been lost, but left unlocked.

It's amazing it got to you before anyone noticed, I presume it was lifted to you as it couldn't even be put into tow mode, let alone driven. How did it get to you?

This needs Tesla to help resolve and they'll want to see the paper trail of proof of ownership etc.

For all we know, it may also have pin to drive enabled as well. Hence it needs a service centre.

Last edited:
Just checking my understanding here.

So just the one key card? The car is currently unlocked? This one key card doesn't work with the car at all.

This is an awkward one, as you also don't known the Tesla account the car is or was associated with - maybe it's been removed from the previous owners account already.

It's effectively a car where all the keys have been lost, but left unlocked.

It's amazing it got to you before anyone noticed, I presume it was lifted to you as it couldn't even be put into tow mode, let alone driven. How did it get to you?

This needs Tesla to help resolve and they'll want to see the paper trail of proof of ownership etc.

For all we know, it may also have pin to drive enabled as well. Hence it needs a service centre.

It arrived on a transporter. Copart load with a fork lift so just lift them on.
One keycard with it that doesn’t appear to do anything.
It’s a pain to move as the back wheels are are locked and it’s heavy.
It has been in a Tesla workshop as the pyro fuse was removed. I’m not familiar with what Tesla will have done but I’m sure they could have disabled the car or card?
I’ve bought parts from Tesla with no problems. I just wanted to get it moving before I took it there. Makes the job easier!

It arrived on a transporter. Copart load with a fork lift so just lift them on.
One keycard with it that doesn’t appear to do anything.
It’s a pain to move as the back wheels are are locked and it’s heavy.
It has been in a Tesla workshop as the pyro fuse was removed. I’m not familiar with what Tesla will have done but I’m sure they could have disabled the car or card?
I’ve bought parts from Tesla with no problems. I just wanted to get it moving before I took it there. Makes the job easier!

Yep, it won't willfully release the electric handbrake, but importantly the permanent magnet motor really needs tow mode enabled. For that, it needs the key obviously.

Ah I see, they basically dropped the car with you and cleared off.

I don't think there is a magic solution to this.

You could call Tesla roadside service, but that's usually when someone has forgotten their key or left it in the car. After answering security questions, which are usually account related, they can unlock and start the car. But you don't know the account details.

I honestly don't think there is an easy solution, it needs a service centre. The car won't have forgotten the car key from the work you've done already.

Interesting you needed to change the 12v, had the car been sitting for a long time and gone totally flat. I suspect there is a bit of extra history that may explain the key situation.

I’m not even sure who to speak to at Tesla but it makes sense that I need to transfer ownership to myself and set up an account.
Yes Alistairuk it is showing two keycards on the screen.
They load everything usually that way. They have been careful with this one thankfully.

I would contact Copart again and tell them the problem - its possible they have sold another Tesla and they too have the same issue because you have each others cards. If Copart don't help then despite them forbidding contacting the previous owner I would write to DVLA to apply for the previous owners details - you have a just cause. Only if all this fails, register the V5 in your name and once you have the document so you can prove ownership then contact Tesla to get new key cards. Tesla will be able to access the car.