Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed with damaged model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I’ll need to send off for the v5 and go down that route.
I’m sure Tesla could sort it out quite easily as a friend who is a recovery driver was recovering a crashed Tesla recently.
He phoned Tesla who were able to tell him the car had gone end of end and this and that airbag had deployed. He then said that the car was locked, it’s not now Tesla replied 🤣

Reactions: Dilly
Tesla can sort this.

It could even be something Tesla mobile service can do.

I don't know what documents are accepted, you may not need to be the registered keeper as you already have proof you are the owner.

I'd call Tesla first to find out the process and what's needed.

Just get the car transfered over to you on the Tesla system. they can do anything remotely after you answer a series of security questions. My brother's App somehow disconnected and he was out without his key card. one call later and they remotely unlocked and started the car so he could drive home. I guess the only complication may be how they deal with written off cars, but if it was only a Cat N then I don't see why they would have an issue.

They record them as salvaged no matter what category. It’s just a matter of getting someone helpful at Tesla.
I’ll keep trying. Thanks everyone.

So this is an insurance write-off, and you mention the pyro fuse had been taken out?

I hope you are aware of Tesla's position on salvaged/written-off cars, essentially Tesla will not support them without a 'full inspection' by Tesla which from memory is a five figure sum? Last year salvaged cars were allowed to supercharge, but it appears that was a 'bug' in the software and now its back to the status quo.

Good luck with getting any kind of official help from Tesla, but from forums posts on here from US owners in a similar situation as you, essentially on your own. There are people around who have essentially 'rooted' the cars software, Jason Hughes (@wk057) is probably by far the best known but Tesla may not have an official PR department but their legal department is very active..........

I presume you got the car for a very cheap price? Breaking it down for parts may be easier than trying to get the car 'fixed'.

Last edited:
So this is an insurance write-off, and you mention the pyro fuse had been taken out?

I hope you are aware of Tesla's position on salvaged/written-off cars, essentially Tesla will not support them without a 'full inspection' by Tesla which from memory is a five figure sum? Last year salvaged cars were allowed to supercharge, but it appears that was a 'bug' in the software and now its back to the status quo.

Good luck with getting any kind of official help from Tesla, but from forums posts on here from US owners in a similar situation as you, essentially on your own. There are people around who have essentially 'rooted' the cars software, Jason Hughes (@wk057) is probably by far the best known but Tesla may not have an official PR department but their legal department is very active..........

I presume you got the car for a very cheap price? Breaking it down for parts may be easier than trying to get the car 'fixed'.

Yes. I have a new pyro fuse fitted.
I am aware of Tesla’s stance. They are happy to sell certain parts and as helpful as any dealer really. They charge around £700 for a high voltage safety inspection before they will work on the car. Which is fair enough it’s business and safety.
What irks me a bit about it is it’s been to a Tesla workshop for an estimate after being damaged and they removed the fuse which they would have to refit to carry out the high voltage check.
I’ve resigned myself to having to pay this really. It would just be easier to load the car if there was a way of moving it !
And no it wasn’t cheap. Nothing is these days. Copart can certainly maximise a vehicles potential shall we say.

Reactions: gangzoom
^You managed to get Tesla to fit a new pyro fuse! That's some achievement from what I understand.

I persume the car is not 'delisted' for Supercharging?

I hope you get some where with getting Tesla to reset keys etc, but I don't think anyone in the US has ever managed to get Tesla authorised repairs done on a written off car. There was a chap who was trying to put a written off X back on the road in the UK but am not sure how far they got with it.

Let us know how you get on.

Am i right in thinking the on screen card list changes to show which card present when you place card between cup holders and arm rest. Could it be in a service mode?
I can only see the listed cards but it doesn’t pick up the one I have.
^You managed to get Tesla to fit a new pyro fuse! That's some achievement from what I understand.

I persume the car is not 'delisted' for Supercharging?

I hope you get some where with getting Tesla to reset keys etc, but I don't think anyone in the US has ever managed to get Tesla authorised repairs done on a written off car. There was a chap who was trying to put a written off X back on the road in the UK but am not sure how far they got with it.

Let us know how you get on
I managed to get a fuse and get it fitted.
Tesla wouldn’t sell me one of course.
It will not supercharge but that’s not an issue for me.
I’d say I see about 4or 5 damaged Tesla’s going through auction sites every week so they must be going somewhere.

You clearly have the wrong key as the current one should be highlighted in the key menu. Contact Copart and good luck with Tesla….you’ll need it

Service mode can be activated by pressing the car icon and then go to the software menu. Long press on ‘model 3’ and a dialog box will pop up, type ‘service’. May help or may not.

I think I would be more concerned with what the forklift did to the battery than not having the correct keycard. It’s probably just running off the 12v for now. I wonder what will happen when the HV one is powered up.
Thanks but there’s no damage and the HV is powered up.
I don’t usually ask for help like this as threads tend to go awol with peoples concerns about me repairing an “insurance write off”
It’s something I’ve always done and I’m comfortable with it.
I do appreciate your concern and help.