Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Needs Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! Any help is appreciated, I have a 2018 LR M3 RWD, currently have the stock aero rims and typically what I do every season change is go to Costco to remove the existing tires and put on the new seasonal tires on the same rims. Apparently they have changed their policy and will only change tires that are already on a rim so as summer fast approaches, I will be shopping for summer tires from Costco but I needed recommendations on where to find rims (and what to know when shopping). I have seen some talk online about the TPMS sensors etc. All I (think) I need are new rims and needed to know what specifications and stores you all would recommend. Thanks in advance.

I've used PMC Tire multiple times and found them great. Likewise Costco. My PMC order back in 2018 for winter wheels on the same car was:

1616179043170.png

Reactions: Vawlkus
Thanks, looks like they are based out of Quebec. I’m in Toronto but will check them out. Any other recommendations are welcome.

I'm in Ottawa - they're quick and use FedEx. I've taken PMC wheels + TPMS all in boxes to Costco and they fitted new tires onto them no problem.

PMC also sell tires and I'm pretty sure they will fit it all and together and ship if you prefer - you just need to mount. I got a deal at Costco so wanted tires from there at the time.

Reactions: Vawlkus
That’s very useful information, thanks guys. I do have to purchase tires but I’ll be doing that from Costco since they agreed to prorate the cost of new ones based on the worn ones I have on right now so will be getting a deal on those. One last question (and seriously thanks it’s my first time buying wheels and sensors), do I NEED to get the sensors? Can I not get them to use the existing sensors on my stock aero wheels?

That’s very useful information, thanks guys. I do have to purchase tires but I’ll be doing that from Costco since they agreed to prorate the cost of new ones based on the worn ones I have on right now so will be getting a deal on those. One last question (and seriously thanks it’s my first time buying wheels and sensors), do I NEED to get the sensors? Can I not get them to use the existing sensors on my stock aero wheels?
You should get them for safety's sake, but I don't know whether it's an absolute necessity. You can't really move it from one set of wheels to another without dismounting the tire itself. I had to order it directly from Tesla - Lawrence. They should have them in stock since there's not a seasonal rush now.

I purchased a set of Replika R241 rims from WheelWiz last summer (WheelWiz | Canada's Leading Online Source for Wheels, Tires & Parts). They are also in Quebec but the transaction was smooth, customer service was fantastic and they arrived at my home quickly and undamaged. Will do business with them again when/if I buy another set of rims.

I then took said rims to my local Kal Tire, had my summer tires removed from the stock Tesla 18" aeros and put on the Replikas and then had new winter tires installed on the Tesla rims. Worked out well.

One last question (and seriously thanks it’s my first time buying wheels and sensors), do I NEED to get the sensors? Can I not get them to use the existing sensors on my stock aero wheels?
You really should install a set of TPMS sensors on the second set of wheels. You can't move them from one set to the other without unmounting the tires. You can drive without them but your M3 is going to display an error icon the entire time.

You can get compatible TPMS sensors from WheelWiz (just be sure to let them know you need ones that are compatible with a 2018 Tesla M3) or you can get them from Kal Tire. For that matter, I suspect that Costco will have them as welll.

Yes, don’t skimp on the sensors. 2017-2020 Model 3s can use aftermarket sensors which are way cheaper than buying from Tesla. I use ITM sensors that I bought from eBay for my first set of summer wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine