Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! nema 14-50 extension cord through wall to avoid rats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I'm charging my car outside my garage (car won't fit) using a nema 14-50 extension cord. This has worked great, but I live in California where rats are a problem and the gap the cord leaves under the garage (to keep from crushing it) is large enough for rats to squeeze through. I rent the house, so I don't want to invest the 2k to put in a permanent plug (need permits here)

My ideal solution is to install an outlet in the wall with a male connector inside the garage that I can plug the extension cord into and female outside that I can plug the car into. This would probably cost $20 it i could find the right receptacle. Anyone know where I could find something like this or have other ideas?

Do your garages up there have vents? Down here in SoCal, garages have vents along the floor of at least one wall to vent gases or whatever from the water heater. You could modify the screen that covers that to let your extension cord through and keep rats out.

Another option might be to get one of those plastic safety covers for cord going across a walkway (used in offices, etc to prevent trip hazards). Run the cord through that and let the garage door close on it. The cord won't be crushed and odds are the gasket at the bottom and the tapered edges of the safety cover will allow the door to close more fully than it is now.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tazman and dhrivnak
I've been closing the garage on my UMC cable at several of my destination charging stops while vacationing (including the one I'm
on now). The soft piece at the bottom of the door molds nicely around the cable without and risk of crushing it and no gap for rodents to pass through.

If you do end up witha hole in the wall, be sure to pack it with steel wool to prevent rodents from entering.

Reactions: Tazman
If your putting the connector outside and it's exposed, you would want something that is water proof. Big Box Home stores have RV outlets that could be mounted outside. Then wired to a plug inside with the appropriate wire. Not sure about code hooking up something like this.

GE 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U054P - The Home Depot

Another option would be something like this door threshold weatherstrip that is glued to the garage floor under the door. It comes in 10 and 20 ft. Trim it 1/2 in short on the side your cord goes through. As someone else mentioned, may have to adjust the garage door opener travel slightly but that's pretty easy.

https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building...46&sr=8-11&keywords=garage+door+weather+strip

Do your garages up there have vents? Down here in SoCal, garages have vents along the floor of at least one wall to vent gases or whatever from the water heater. You could modify the screen that covers that to let your extension cord through and keep rats out.

Another option might be to get one of those plastic safety covers for cord going across a walkway (used in offices, etc to prevent trip hazards). Run the cord through that and let the garage door close on it. The cord won't be crushed and odds are the gasket at the bottom and the tapered edges of the safety cover will allow the door to close more fully than it is now.

View attachment 190824
Thx. I'll check for vents. I actually have a cover like this, but it keeps the garage door too far off the ground