Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help!! New member and I don't know if this is a good idea!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the end, you are trying to spend a little to get a lot, and you are going to give up something in the process.

I would recommend reading through the Model S subforum(s) to better familiarize yourself with what you need to look at on these, what to expect, etc, and thennnnnnnnnnn come back here and asking continued follow up questions. This is the best way to get yourself over the EV learning curve, read, read, read, then ask.

Also go through the classified section and see what these are listing for (selling for) and make notes so that when you look at another one you know if the pricing is fair.

• Love
Reactions: Olle and Ciaopec
Like I said, you would see 450 kW with a healthy battery. Should ideally be as high as 500 kW after the update, once the battery is pre-conditioned.

Here is a screenshot of your video. As you can see it looks like around 380 kW:
View attachment 913426
You can also see that is takes 3 sec from 24-60 mph in the vid. Should take around 2 sec in a healthy P90DL on a dry road...
Thank you sooo much! I hadn't had time to really look at the video as I'm between flights, but I think I'm going to let this car go... stinks... but thank you too much for pointing that out.

In the end, you are trying to spend a little to get a lot, and you are going to give up something in the process.

I would recommend reading through the Model S subforum(s) to better familiarize yourself with what you need to look at on these, what to expect, etc, and thennnnnnnnnnn come back here and asking continued follow up questions. This is the best way to get yourself over the EV learning curve, read, read, read, then ask.

Also go through the classified section and see what these are listing for (selling for) and make notes so that when you look at another one you know if the pricing is fair.
I completely understand what you're saying; but I will say this, just like aviation (and I see this a lot) people do read and then they go out and look at cars, or airplanes, and what you've read doesn't match up with what you're thinking. So it can seem like I'm just twisting in the wind, but I can assure you I read plenty and when I finally got to test drive a car (today! 19 model 3, 21 model 3 performance and a 15 P85D!!!) it didn't match up with what I had in my head and intended use. And you're 100000% right; I am trying to get a lot for a little. With Tesla prices softening I figured I'd try to jump on the most car for the least amount of cash. And unfortunately, the risk reward doesn't pen out for an older P90DL. Too bad, the P85D in launch mode was... ungodly. The closest I can compare it too is an EMPTY A319 at TOGA (take-off/Go Around) with bump (an added 3%) with the brakes held and releasing them. I was lucky enough to reposition a few and good lord that will THROW you back pretty violently. The P85D was very close to that same feeling. It's addicting for sure.

And you're 100000% right; I am trying to get a lot for a little. With Tesla prices softening I figured I'd try to jump on the most car for the least amount of cash. And unfortunately, the risk reward doesn't pen out for an older P90DL.

Which is why I think you'd be best investing your cash money into a 100kWh car instead of something 90kWh or less, but I get it, I get it, I get it ;) Safe flights :)

Which is why I think you'd be best investing your cash money into a 100kWh car instead of something 90kWh or less, but I get it, I get it, I get it ;) Safe flights :)
Actually- you’re gonna hate this- but this is 100% a commuter car and I was SHOCKED at the model 3 rear motor- that thing is super healthy. And I found one on Autotrader for 21k! So now my head is even spinning more!

Actually- you’re gonna hate this- but this is 100% a commuter car and I was SHOCKED at the model 3 rear motor- that thing is super healthy. And I found one on Autotrader for 21k! So now my head is even spinning more!
Jeez. My commuter car was an '87 VW diesel Rabbit. You want to drive a commuter car better than what I'm driving now? Poor excuse for a commuting pilot you are!;)

Last edited:
P90D ludicrous 0-60 in 2.8 sec.

I think these are very well made, but like any luxury car though there are tons of little things that can go wrong and add up to $$$.
Test drive it and quickly find out most errors before you buy it:
  • Are the 21" wheels round or is there shimmy? One pothole is enough to bend one, $$$ to replace.
  • Is the air suspension level and not making noise? Several $k to repair.
  • How about brake rotor shimmy?
  • Is the car straight and stable on the highway, or are we looking at a lot of control arm replacements due to worn bushings and joints?
  • Listen for grinding in the rear drive unit. If yes, it's ready for $10k replacement. They can also fail quietly from water damage but there is no telling ahead of time.
  • Do all the door handles come out? Do trunk actuator and lock operate reliably?
  • How strong is the AC?
  • Are the displays stable or do they freeze and black out?
  • Evidence of sunroof leaking? If yes, you may be looking at curtain airbag replacements.
  • Set for Ludicrous and Max Power and power display on dash and see how much power it shows under full acceleration @ >=90% charge. Should be at least 450kW bet 30 and 90 mph. If not, the battery is shot.
View attachment 913306
I was seriously considering buying a 2016 X P90D to replace by totaled 2021 MSLR but after reading this list, maybe not.