Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! New Model 3 SR+ LFP Won't Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the car just under 3 weeks and been charging it just about daily with a JuiceBoxPro (that I used with my Bolt for just under 3 years) and the J1772 adapter that came with the car. A couple times it's given me a warning that the charger wasn't properly connected, but it immediately worked again. Today was a different story...
  • Connected as usual, JuiceBox gave warning beeps that indicated "Car not obeying J1772. (Or plugged into something that’s not an EV)."
  • Turned breaker off/on, tried again, same result.
  • Called JuiceBox Tech Support, he said he's heard of adapters going bad lately, turn breaker off for 30 minutes, try again. Did that, didn't help.
  • Tried NEMA 5-15 Connector that came with the vehicle. Connector lit up green, so it had power. But the car did not charge.
  • Drove to Tesla dealership. Service closed, salesman tried to help. Supercharger initially didn't work. Soft rebooted the car, it worked.
  • Drove home. Tried JuiceBox w/ J-1772 Adapter. Same problems as earlier. Soft rebooted again. Tried NEMA 5-15 Connector. Nothing. Tried JuiceBox again. Nothing.
I can't get through to a human on the phone and when I try to schedule a service appointment in the app, the first available appointment is in 2 weeks.

Any advice????

Guessing the innards of the onboard charger have gone bad. Supercharging works because it bypasses most of those innards, since its high voltage DC, rather than the ~low voltage AC coming from your wall.

Schedule the appointment, then call on Monday when service is open. They might be able to fit you in. Until you get it fixed.... supercharge.

• Helpful
Reactions: driver7 and Rocky_H
Guessing the innards of the onboard charger have gone bad. Supercharging works because it bypasses most of those innards, since its high voltage DC, rather than the ~low voltage AC coming from your wall.

Schedule the appointment, then call on Monday when service is open. They might be able to fit you in. Until you get it fixed.... supercharge.
Very, very helpful. Wouldn't have thought of that. Just scheduled an appointment and at least got a little luckier with 10/6 than what I was seeing before. I'll try calling too. Thank you.

Very, very helpful. Wouldn't have thought of that. Just scheduled an appointment and at least got a little luckier with 10/6 than what I was seeing before. I'll try calling too. Thank you.
Now that you have an appointment, I would go down to the location you have your appointment at on monday in person. They may be able to get you in sooner. "Does not charge using any L2 charging, is something they may be able to squeeze you in on, since its pretty impactful.

The appointment confirmation said they estimated 2-3 hours for the work. I followed the instructions they provided for what to do upon arrival. A couple hours later I asked if they had any idea how much longer it would be. They hadn't even seen I had arrived (even though I did exactly what they asked). He said it may take a couple days to do the work so he wanted to just put me in a loaner instead while they diagnose and fix the problem. I'm still satisfied so far.