Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: new owner -- cannot clean windshield?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just leased a new 75D inventory car (105 miles), and when I drive it at night, I notice a 'crazing' in the windshield glass, especially on the passenger side. This is difficult to photograph, but please see attached. At first, I thought it was just dirty, but I have tried to clean it multiple times inside and out with no success. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks!

IMG_3866.jpg

If clearcoat you will need acetone, aka nail polish remover, Sally's Beauty Supply has it in larger bottles.

Make sure you are outside upwind from car, this stuff can total your lungs. Recommend wrapping two socks on a 0.5x3" soft pine wood stick and rubbing vigorously, hard enough to remove it. Ignore the instructions around the other forums where they recommend using metal scrapers. Pour on the socks, do not spill acetone over the windshield, it evaporates instantly, wear vinyl gloves.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
I have the same issue, I think. I assumed it was adhesive from some kind of protective vinyl used to protect the windshield on the truck. I thought I got it off with alcohol, but no. I ordered some glass polish and will try that.

It's tough to know if you did any good, as it only shows up under certain light conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Surprisingly, the best combination is to use a glass cleaner to get off the dirt/grime, and the follow with water and a microfiber towel - and that seems to work consistently.

I keep a microfiber towel in the car, and will use it to periodically do a spot clean on the inside of the windshield.

I took it in to the San Diego service center this morning (unannounced), and they took it to their detail shop. It was back in about 15 minutes. They indicated the windshield has a new car "coating" and they use a "special steel wool" to clean it. I can tell it is better, but I won't really know until I drive it at night.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
Glad you got yours resolved. I thought I had a paint "miss" on the left rear quarter panel. Sort of looked like your picture. Took it to SC in my first service and they said it was the coating they put on the vehicle during transport. Some just didn't come off. I didn't ask them what they used to buff it off but it worked. On the finish, it's one of those things that you don't see unless at a certain angle with light. Would've hated to see it on the windshield!

• Informative
Reactions: sbtz
Well, it did NOT get resolved. It may be better, but it still has a 'crazing' or coating on the windshield glass. It is not uniform, which suggests it can be removed with the correct procedure. The problem is that the San Diego SC did not get the coating off, so what do I do next -- just take it back?

Last edited:
Well, it did NOT get resolved. It may be better, but it still has a 'crazing' or coating on the windshield glass. It is not uniform, which suggests it can be removed with the correct procedure. The problem is that the San Diego SC did not get the coating off, so what do I do next -- just take it back?

I would propose that you take it to a detailer and if they can guarantee that they can remove it, have them do the job and submit the invoice to Tesla. But of course confirm first.

Just in case this is helpful to anyone (don't know if this is the same problem being described by OP) - I have seen several instances in new cars where outgassing from the plastic parts (probably also chemicals used in tanning leather in the seats) - left a residue on inside windshield that Windex would not touch. I found that washing it with distilled vinegar on a paper towel took it off, followed by a double cleaning with Windex (or other glass product).

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal