TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help: new owner -- cannot clean windshield?!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RBowen, Oct 9, 2016.

1. RBowen

RBowen Member

Hi, I just leased a new 75D inventory car (105 miles), and when I drive it at night, I notice a 'crazing' in the windshield glass, especially on the passenger side. This is difficult to photograph, but please see attached. At first, I thought it was just dirty, but I have tried to clean it multiple times inside and out with no success. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks!

IMG_3866.jpg

2. flashflood

flashflood Member

I had the exact same thing on a brand new P100D. It's in for service now. They claim it was some kind of residue that they were able to remove with clay bar cleaning. We'll see. It had better be flawless.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1760757

3. RBowen

RBowen Member

I'm sorry to see you have this issue too. Please let me know if you get it fixed.

Still, It does not appear to be a widespread problem.

4. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Probably Clearcoat.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Ford had a problem like this many years ago, it was from the interior off gassing in extreme heat. Bon Ami polishing cleanser removed it.

6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Only if the car was repainted. (The cars are painted prior to the glass being installed.)

7. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

#7 Kandiru, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    If clearcoat you will need acetone, aka nail polish remover, Sally's Beauty Supply has it in larger bottles.

Make sure you are outside upwind from car, this stuff can total your lungs. Recommend wrapping two socks on a 0.5x3" soft pine wood stick and rubbing vigorously, hard enough to remove it. Ignore the instructions around the other forums where they recommend using metal scrapers. Pour on the socks, do not spill acetone over the windshield, it evaporates instantly, wear vinyl gloves.

• Informative x 1
  8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Acetone is absorbed through the skin. Do not get it or the vapors on the paint!

9. BerTX

BerTX Member

I have the same issue, I think. I assumed it was adhesive from some kind of protective vinyl used to protect the windshield on the truck. I thought I got it off with alcohol, but no. I ordered some glass polish and will try that.

It's tough to know if you did any good, as it only shows up under certain light conditions.

• Informative x 1
  10. RBowen

RBowen Member

Please let me know if glass polish works.

I can feel the drag in places when I go over the windshield with a microfiber cloth. Windex and lots of pressure does not cut it.

11. Wattup

Wattup Member

I thought it was me. The model S windscreen has been impossible to get crystal clear. I have tried multiple cleaners and cloths and paper. from the tip above I am now going to try a Bowdens Clay Cloth, much easier to use than the bar. Fingers crossed.

12. bob_p

bob_p Member

Surprisingly, the best combination is to use a glass cleaner to get off the dirt/grime, and the follow with water and a microfiber towel - and that seems to work consistently.

I keep a microfiber towel in the car, and will use it to periodically do a spot clean on the inside of the windshield.

13. RBowen

RBowen Member

I took it in to the San Diego service center this morning (unannounced), and they took it to their detail shop. It was back in about 15 minutes. They indicated the windshield has a new car "coating" and they use a "special steel wool" to clean it. I can tell it is better, but I won't really know until I drive it at night.

• Informative x 1
  14. hsctiger93

hsctiger93 Member

Glad you got yours resolved. I thought I had a paint "miss" on the left rear quarter panel. Sort of looked like your picture. Took it to SC in my first service and they said it was the coating they put on the vehicle during transport. Some just didn't come off. I didn't ask them what they used to buff it off but it worked. On the finish, it's one of those things that you don't see unless at a certain angle with light. Would've hated to see it on the windshield!

• Informative x 1
  15. RBowen

RBowen Member

#15 RBowen, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Well, it did NOT get resolved. It may be better, but it still has a 'crazing' or coating on the windshield glass. It is not uniform, which suggests it can be removed with the correct procedure. The problem is that the San Diego SC did not get the coating off, so what do I do next -- just take it back?

16. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I feel like maybe I'm missing something since no one else asked, but what is 'crazing' and how is it different from it being, for example, hazy?

17. gabeincal

gabeincal Member

I would propose that you take it to a detailer and if they can guarantee that they can remove it, have them do the job and submit the invoice to Tesla. But of course confirm first.

18. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

Just in case this is helpful to anyone (don't know if this is the same problem being described by OP) - I have seen several instances in new cars where outgassing from the plastic parts (probably also chemicals used in tanning leather in the seats) - left a residue on inside windshield that Windex would not touch. I found that washing it with distilled vinegar on a paper towel took it off, followed by a double cleaning with Windex (or other glass product).

• Informative x 1