TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help: Nexus 5 (Marshmallow) as storage for media player

Discussion in 'Model S' started by thegruf, Dec 31, 2015.

1. thegruf

thegruf Member

On other cars I have always been able to connect the phone via usb and set as File transfer (MTP) device and the music would be detected by the car.

The MS isn't doing this for me, just ignores the phone altogether.

Any ideas please?

2. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

Is MTP option available?

3. thegruf

thegruf Member

yes - and when selected the car "sees" nothing

4. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Hmm... I thought the Model S only recognized mass storage devices.... and Apple proprietary ****.

In any case, with a phone this seems less than ideal. Why not just use bluetooth audio, or a mini usb flash drive?

What I tend to do is just have two mini USB flash drives that I sync with a folder on my PC. I just swap them out whenever I modify the data on my PC. Piece of cake, lets me use FLAC files, etc.

5. thegruf

thegruf Member

all fair comment wk, but BT audio sounds really poor, a flash drive the obvious alternative but this means maintaining the files on this as well as the phone.
    I know how lazy I am and will just end up with the music never changing on the flash drive.

Plugging the phone in as an MTP device should mean it works the same as a flash drive ... except clearly it doesnt!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm starting to think this may be a Marshmallow issue as the phone was upgraded not long for the change to the Tesla.
    There's definitely a different implementation of connectivity going on with this build.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#6 stopcrazypp, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    This is false. MTP is different from USB mass storage (which is what a flash drive uses).

When Android dropped USB mass storage support, connecting with MTP became an issue with all the Unix-like systems. The only OS that works flawlessly with MTP (compatibility wise) is Windows.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/

The main difference with MTP is that your file system remains fully mounted on the device and the file transfer is only done indirectly. This allows apps on the phone to continue to have access even while you are doing file transfers with your computer. With the previous USB mass storage, the actual partition in the device is dismounted in the device and mounted by the computer.

The Model S uses Ubuntu (Linux) supposedly and that system does not work out of the box with MTP for all devices (the library has to be continually updated for new devices).
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/87667/getting-mtp-enabled-devices-to-work-with-ubuntu
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/417323/my-mtp-capable-device-is-not-detected-what-can-i-do-about-that/417324#417324

7. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

MTP definitely isn't ideal for this situation, even if the car does support it. (I hadn't tried except about two years ago when I first got my P85, so could have changed since then.) MTP is flaky as a file system, since it really isn't a file system at all. It's just exposed as if it were a file system in some OS's, but it's more like the USB-based equivalent of an FTP server. It's NOT the same as a flash drive at all.

As for bluetooth audio... *shrugs*. Maybe I'm deaf or something from years of driving around with multi-kilowatt audio systems in small cars, but I've never considered it to be poor quality. I use it all the time and it sounds just fine to me. Sounds like playing any MP3 anywhere else. Obviously not FLAC quality, but it seems more than sufficiently clear to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm.... define flawlessly. lol.

I *always* have issues with MTP in windows, especially when trying to move multiple files around. It's annoying.

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I have connection issues too when using MTP (particularly annoying when phone goes to sleep during transfers) and also prefer the older mass storage.

But in this context, by "flawlessly", I mean compatibility wise. You don't need to install drivers, wait for the library to be updated for new devices (like for linux), or install some other software (like for OS X), just to get it to start working.

9. thegruf

thegruf Member

thanks guys. All understood now. Flash drive I guess it is.

However the best solution of all would be if Tesla would support APTx for lossless BT audio streaming.
    (would have to get a compatible phone, but there are quite a few now).

Anybody got this on an Tesla RFE list?

10. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

I believe the issue with mass storage on phones was that the USB host OS utilizing the device as mass storage had full access to the filesystem itself, which is problematic with dual access where the OS on the phone would have issues reconciling changes and such. It also meant that the USB mass storage slave needed full access to the block device being hosted as a mass storage device, which is a potential security issue.

MTP is really just a "server" that works over USB for the filesystem. It doesn't give the USB host OS any real access to anything. For example, with MTP if the host OS wants a file list, it asks the device for it and the device needs to respond. With mass storage the host OS just reads the part of the storage device that it needs to in order to build the file list just like it would with any other disk on the system. Things like random access and such aren't really possible with MTP, either. Where with mass storage I can just read whatever part of a file I want, with MTP the host has to request that the device do this and report back.

I've been calling it the Middle-man Transfer Protocol since it came into wide use.

11. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

Sorry I meant to say PTP not MTP.