Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help on choosing the right window tint.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
googled whats the difference and found this product comparison... looks like the crystalline is their best film and ceramic is not as good in any of the multiple categories, the ones that stand out most to me are heat rejection, infrared rejection glare reduction etc
Product Comparison

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 3.33.40 PM.png

Visible light transmitted
The percentage of visible light that passes directly through filmed glass: the higher the number,the lighter the film.
Total solar energy rejected
The percentage of total solar energy rejected by filmed glass. The higher this value,the less solar heat energy is transmitted by the glass.
Visible light reflection
The percentage of visible light reflected back from the glass.
Infrared rejected *
The percent of light rejected by the film on the glass.Infrared light is primarily responsible for the heat you feel when driving. Infrared Rejected is measured on IR wavelength ranges 900-1000nm
UV rejection
The percentage of ultraviolet light that is rejected by filmed glass. Ultraviolet light contributes sunburn and other harmful skin conditions from the sun and to the fading and deterioration of fabrics and leather.
Glare reduction
The percentage by which visible light is reduced by the addition of film.

Last edited:
Where did you get the quote from? I would the contact as I'm planning to install Potosync instead of 3M

I dont know if it makes sense to tint your leased car - I think it's a personal decision. Are the benefits of tinted car worth the cost for you personally?

So, I do need a car tint, since I live in south florida and the temperature is usually over 90. I park my car on an open space, so this is a must.
There is another thread where 2 stores are mentioned with good reviews:

Coastal Glass - (954) 964-3955
Auto Super Shield - 561-367-0101

The first one installs 3M. The offered me ceramic, but following @Tech_Guy post I think that Crystaline make more sense.
The second one is the only one who offered Prestige Photosync.

Since it's a lease I was thinking on spending no more than $500. But to be fair, if I divide 500 or 850 in 36 the different is so small.
However I'm not really sure if I will notice the difference or not

If you can find a Photosync installer in your area, then that will be your best bet in terms of performance. What 3m doesn't disclose with their Cristalline is that their 97% of infrared rejection only occurs at the 900-1000nanometer range. Its 97% drops down to the low 80% in the 1700nm, which is where it matters most.

Photosync consistently rejects 98% of infrared through the 1700nm with only a drop off of 3%. As reference, we used to be a 3m dealer.

Here is a P100D we just completed with Spectra PhotoSync 75 to the windshield, 45% to the front 2 windows, and 35% to the rears.

DSC03926.JPG
DSC03936.JPG
DSC03938.JPG

If you read the features of both (on the 3M pages linked above) Crystalline would seem to be somewhat more effective at blocking heat. Roughly 10% more effective at 50% tint, and blocks more heat at lighter tints than ceramic.

Both reject the same amount of UV (99%), but you can find any tint that does that.

So, if actual *heat* rejection is one of main criterion for treating your windows, I would select Crystalline.

Also, if you want effective heat blocking without having to go with a very dark tint, Crystalline would also seem to be the right choice.

I have had experience with both Crystalline and Spectra Photosync. In my opinion, the 3M product is delicate. Spectra Photosync is by far the most heat rejecting film on the market. I have never had any experience, nor have I heard anything about the Photosync effecting any electronics or autopilot sensors, which is important to me. I would go with Photosync.

• Helpful
Reactions: ABC2D
I'm in SoCal. Absolutely go for ceramic (quality, heat wise and for mobile phone signal). I was looking at 3M, but didn't like the color shift (warm, a little brown, and not that dark). My highly regarded tint shop suggested I look at their Wincos ceramic automotive film (with life time warranty). We walked around with his glass examples outside and I really liked the color in the tint (a cooler tone). So I went with that. Then I realized it was almost 1/2 the price of 3M. Score. 8 months later, couldn't be more happy. Did all windows except front and roof (I have the Tesla "net").

I used 20 on the rear window and rear doors, 34 on front doors.

[sorry, my dad wanted to show off the electric car to his brothers in Europe]

Last edited:
I think Photosync is the best. However, I went with 3M Crystalline because I have used it on a number of cars over the years. At first I was completely sold on Photosync and would have used that on my MS. Big factor, Photosync in the Atlanta are is twice the price. The small difference in performance was not worth two times the price. I went with Crystalline.

While specs and figures and all are important, when making the decision I'd ultimately go with an installer in your area that has the best reputation for quality work. There are several places around that have the high end materials, but they are all 45+ minute drives from my house.

I'm going with a local installer with 20+ years of satisfied customers who only works with 3M products. I'm leaning toward the Scotshield Crystalline for the side windows and regular Crystalline for the back and front. There's been a rash of window smashing in broad daylight in my neighborhood (usually during soccer games), so the little extra protection is for peace of mind on the rare occasions I have to park out front on the street.

I live in FL and recently researched this fairly extensively. There is one key question: How dark do you want you tint?

If you are an individual that requires a lighter tint but wants all the advantages of the darker tints, you may want to consider 3M Crystalline, Llumar Stratos or the Photosync.

If you want dark tint, say > 30%, I would go with 3M or Llumar Ceramic tint. It will be half the cost with nearly the same heat rejection characteristics

It appears that the total solar rejection is the key figure when is comes to tint and the darker ceramics offer ESSENTIALLY the same solar rejection as the lighter Crystalline or Stratos tint (there may be a 1-5% difference depending on how dark you want the tint).

I also read the Photosync properties that provide such drastic heat rejection begin to deteriorate after 5 years. I don't know how true this is and was not considering Photosync so didn't care to research further.

In the end, I went with Llumar Ceramic 30 all around with Airblue 80 on the windshield. To apply Crystalline or Stratos would've cost double, and I just didn't feel there was enough bang for the buck. Many feel differently.

GL