Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Ordered today but didn't get premium package. Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't opt for it. No allergies or fear of bioweapons and it seemed pretty pricey for the gate and lighting. Now they added ventilated seats all the way down to S6O but I don't think that's a game changer either. I did get the Next Gen seats though, I think I will appreciate that more on a daily basis. You could probably get the leather seats and sell/trade for the non leather? Paying the full price for PUP and not getting the leather seats really doesn't seem worth the $$ as that looks like the most expensive part of the package.
The filtration is most useful for filtering the exhaust from all of the surrounding ice cars. I'm very sensitive to the smell of noxious fumes. In my previous car I would drive around with the HVAC set on recirculate most of the time until my windows would start to fog up. In the few weeks that I've been driving my Tesla (and without using recirculate) I have yet to smell any exhaust fumes, and I've been behind at least a couple cars with visibly dirty exhaust spewing out of their tailpipe(s).

• Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado
When I ordered my S85 in 2013 I went PUP since I like real stuff. However, I just ordered an S90 without it. The "pleather" surfaces changed some time in the last year or so. They are matte and really nice IMHO. Almost indistinguishable. Also, since I went with Ultra White Vegan option I figured it really didn't matter since all the bonus leather surfaces would be Vegan anyway. But most importantly I didn't want the perforated, ventilated seats which I think would be a nightmare to keep clean, especially in white. Power tailgate is fine but maybe just something that might break down the road. Simple is good. LED range is really tight--like thirty feet or something which isn't useful at speed. Ambient lighting makes it harder to see the road. I sometimes turn my screen down especially when it's raining at night. Lastly, bioweapon attacks are pretty rare in this part of country. Can't even remember the last time we had one.

• Funny
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Two things I have I would skip without hesitation next time: pup, air suspension. I despise the alcantara on the dash. Interior otherwise is basically the same. I think the side head lights are totally useless. Ambient lighting is OK. I do like the look of illuminated fog lights but hardly worth the price. Only useful thing is the power liftgate, but not worth it on its own to me.

Surprised how much I use heated steering wheel from Sub-Zero package though.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Two things I have I would skip without hesitation next time: pup, air suspension. I despise the alcantara on the dash. Interior otherwise is basically the same. I think the side head lights are totally useless. Ambient lighting is OK. I do like the look of illuminated fog lights but hardly worth the price. Only useful thing is the power liftgate, but not worth it on its own to me.

Surprised how much I use heated steering wheel from Sub-Zero package though.
When I ordered my S85 in 2013 I went PUP since I like real stuff. However, I just ordered an S90 without it. The "pleather" surfaces changed some time in the last year or so. They are matte and really nice IMHO. Almost indistinguishable. Also, since I went with Ultra White Vegan option I figured it really didn't matter since all the bonus leather surfaces would be Vegan anyway. But most importantly I didn't want the perforated, ventilated seats which I think would be a nightmare to keep clean, especially in white. Power tailgate is fine but maybe just something that might break down the road. Simple is good. LED range is really tight--like thirty feet or something which isn't useful at speed. Ambient lighting makes it harder to see the road. I sometimes turn my screen down especially when it's raining at night. Lastly, bioweapon attacks are pretty rare in this part of country. Can't even remember the last time we had one.

Forgot to another item of note: all steering wheels are leather. It's the airbag cover that's actually upgraded on PUP. It's matte so not too plasticky. I'm checking with parts to see if I can replace it with leather.

...Surprised how much I use heated steering wheel from Sub-Zero package though.
I wish the heated steering wheel came standard or was available as a separate option; just can't see paying $1000 for it. I loved the one in my LEAF and miss it in my S. I rarely use or need the cabin heater and having warm hands contributes considerably to comfort. My touch screen gloves help but my hands are still cold much of the winter.

Reactions: Matt125
My £14000 Vauxhall (Opel/GM) Corsa has a heated steering wheel, heated mirrors/back windscreen and fog lights.

Upgrading to the base Model 3 is going to be a huge leap forward in so many ways, but a big step back for those comfort features. Like you, I'm going to really miss not having the heated steering wheel.

My hands start to really feel cold at 5 degrees C. If it is colder like that, my hands are frozen just by deicing the car (even with gloves). Putting the heated steering wheel on sorts them out in only a few minutes.

I'm really going to miss it when I get my Tesla, because I won't be able to afford PUP or Sub-Zero.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
The PUP package is basically a power liftgate, a couple extra strips of leather, a $50 air filter with a corny name, and different light bulbs for $3,000. I respect anyone spending this much money on a vehicle to load it up with options, but its a bad deal. Having seen the differences side by side I might pay $1,000 for all of that. Definitely not $3,000.
I still don't think there is any extra leather on PUP cars currently in production. Just alcantara on the dash instead of pleather.

So, is it a scam then? It says leather arm rests, steering wheel and lower dashboard when paired with leather seating. I guess technically it doesn't say that those things aren't leather if you don't order PUP, but I would say that's what it implies. Did the two cars you looked at, side by side, both have leather seating?

PUP.JPG

Lighted door handles, power lift gate, and the interior ambient lighting--all of these I have found to be surprisingly useful. But if you never experienced it, I can understand how you wouldn't miss it.

Btw, what is the "quick connection phone dock"???

So, is it a scam then? It says leather arm rests, steering wheel and lower dashboard when paired with leather seating. I guess technically it doesn't say that those things aren't leather if you don't order PUP, but I would say that's what it implies. Did the two cars you looked at, side by side, both have leather seating?

View attachment 209368
Yep, both had tan leather seats. The arm rests, steering wheel, and lower dashboard were all the same. It's just marketing and selective omission. They are trying to make it sound like you get more in the PUP. I really doubt if these fittings are actually leather in the PUP anyway, they certainly aren't on a Benz, just some good old MBtex. You pay a huge premium in a Porsche for leather surfaces.

Yep, both had tan leather seats. The arm rests, steering wheel, and lower dashboard were all the same. It's just marketing and selective omission. They are trying to make it sound like you get more in the PUP. I really doubt if these fittings are actually leather in the PUP anyway, they certainly aren't on a Benz, just some good old MBtex. You pay a huge premium in a Porsche for leather surfaces.

I question whether you noticed the subtle differences when you compared the vehicles. The PUP has REAL leather on the areas that the non-PUP uses a fake-leather material. I compared the vehicles just a few months ago and there is a clear difference. It pushed me to the PUP due to the feel of real leather in those areas. The center armrest is the same in both models.

Is it possible to open the non-power lift-gate remotely?

I really like the power lift-gate. I think I would miss it. One thing I read is that you can't set the max opening height without the powered lift-gate. I could see my wife backing out of the garage and running the open lift-gate into the garage opening, but maybe there is an obvious warning if you try backing up with it open. It does open high enough to hit, though. At least in my two car garage. I think three car garage openings are usually higher. One of the first things I did when I got the car was to adjust the opening height so it would clear the garage. Only the paranoid survive.