Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help ordering 2nd Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for taking a hit on your current Model 3 due to depreciation, etc. I'm pretty sure the perspective buyers can't claim a tax credit so would expect the car to be discounted by that much. I know I would plus a discount for the mileage you put on it. Unless you wanted a different car that performs better than the model you have or is a different color and you plan to keep it for a long time, don't really see the point in going through all this.

Reactions: SageBrush
So if I sell my current car I would lose the $7500 tax credit I got on that one? Why?
Imagine yourself as the shopper for a moment:

You are deciding between a used Model 3 that the federal tax credit has been given to the original owner, or a new Model 3 that is tax credit eligible. If the new car is say $50k before federal tax credit (so $42.5k net out of pocket), how much would you offer for the used car ?

If you don't have $14k, get the AWD, which is a good deal even if you only get a $3750 tax credit. The car is 10% faster for 10% more money, PLUS you get 4WD, which almost never happens, so it's a deal! The P3D is about 30% faster for less than 30% more money, so it's an even better deal. Our P3D+ is ridiculous! Ridiculous! I got it to make muscle-car ICE bigots squirm!

Imagine yourself as the shopper for a moment:

You are deciding between a used Model 3 that the federal tax credit has been given to the original owner, or a new Model 3 that is tax credit eligible. If the new car is say $50k before federal tax credit (so $42.5k net out of pocket), how much would you offer for the used car ?
At this point you could make the argument that you're really looking at $46,250 net out of pocket since there's no more guarantee on the $7k credit. Also keep in mind the new $3,750 credit would be in the 2019 tax year.

@GadgetGeek407 - Get as much as you can. People discounting your car are the ones looking to buy a used one. We all benefit when we hold the line on resale value.