Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help ordering 2nd Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a LR RWD M3 that I took delivery of in March early 6500ish VIN. I don't want to lose the $7500 tax credit so I was going to order the second by tomorrow night. Some questions and concerns:

1. Drove my neighbors PM3 and WOW its nice but I cannot justify the 14k difference up front.
2. Debating going with AWD or get RWD again? I am confused because there is a decent difference in price, but will it be a notable difference in speed or how it actually drives? Our daily driver is on regular roads, I do like to step on it a bit and enjoy the instant boost. I feel getting AWD would be worth it in the long run as they may offer P upgrade via software for less maybe? Where as I will definitely not have that option in a RWD. Anyone that can help.
3. They raised the price of paint options a bit, my Pearl White was $1000, now its $1500 and the red is $2,000! WTF, thinking of going with red although I love white, but here in FL the bugs and all show very easily.
4. If I get AWD is there a chance I miss the tax credit deadline?
5. I felt when I drove my neighbors new P3 that the seats were softer then my earlier vin, I know they changed a few things, was not sure if they added better or different padding. I know the back seats on my car suck for long drives, very uncomfy IMO
6. Is there any leases on M3 still or no?
7. AWD price has gone from $5k to $4k to now $6k, again is it worth it for the performance aspect being that I am in Florida and getting it more for performance and such?

Almost a $7,000 price difference out the door with tax and all between what I paid for LR RWD with EAP pearl white and if I get LR AWD with EAP and red. Am I seriously better off getting a RWD LR red with EAP? I like EAP. Definitely not a must since mostly city driving but a cool feature and can be convenient. Need to make a decision fast!!! Wish you could just lease these!

1. Ok
2. AWD. Get something different and much sportier.
3. Ok
4. Not if you order before 10/15. I noticed the disclaimer is already gone from the M3 order page.
5. Ok
6. No
7. If you want a more sporty car than RWD, yes. Likely better handling in rain too.

It comes down to why are you ordering another one? Is it replacing your current RWD or what?

Almost a $7,000 price difference out the door with tax and all between what I paid for LR RWD with EAP pearl white and if I get LR AWD with EAP and red. Am I seriously better off getting a RWD LR red with EAP? I like EAP. Definitely not a must since mostly city driving but a cool feature and can be convenient. Need to make a decision fast!!! Wish you could just lease these!
I am in a very interesting predicament, I have another reservation and currently on a LR RWD and debating to get the AWD or should I just get the RWD again? I will sell my current car so I can take advantage of the tax rebate before tomorrow night and get $7500 per car. I currently have white and love it but thinking to go Red. I would love to get the Performance but cannot justify spending that much more. Is the AWD really that much of a difference compared to the RWD speed and performance wise?

I also felt the newer gen seats are softer, am I the only one?
Get AWD. IMO, at $6,000 it is still worth it. My AWD handles differently (better) than the RWD I test drove. I also like knowing 4 wheels are gripping the road when cutting loose. You can order EAP any time. You can't change to AWD later.

There may be future "upgrades" available for AWD that aren't available to RWD. You just never know. You can bet they will be expensive because Tesla will be mindful of people who paid for P3Ds.

Ordering AWD shouldn't delay delivery.

My daily commute is ~100 miles. As stated in another thread, I hated the seats while test driving a Model S P90D two years ago. Fortunately, the seats of my September 2018 Model 3 feel great. What a huge relief!

1. Ok
2. AWD. Get something different and much sportier.
3. Ok
4. Not if you order before 10/15. I noticed the disclaimer is already gone from the M3 order page.
5. Ok
6. No
7. If you want a more sporty car than RWD, yes. Likely better handling in rain too.

It comes down to why are you ordering another one? Is it replacing your current RWD or what?
Yes I'll be selling my current one since I had two reservations and don't want to miss out on rebate. Is it worth paying almost $7k more?

Do you want white interiors? If so you can only get it with AWD. You live in FL, white seats will help not soak as much heat. So that may be the deciding factor for you. AWD is also more powerful and handles better. If you enjoyed P3D's power, maybe try AWD this time so you go kind of in between RWD & P3D.

AWD at 6k isn't as good of a deal as it was when it was 4k. for only another 9k you can get a Performance and then your not just 1/2 second faster.

Other than that I dunnno, I'm still trying to figure out how to get my first car.

Perhaps the old stiffer seats are better? Some people are saying the new seats only last about 5k miles before they wear out.

P is not 14k on top of AWD, it’s 9K more.

You only live once. If you are going to take a hit on selling the RWD light as well go all out. That’s my two cents.

If it makes a difference you can go black and save some money there.

Considering it’s a long journey from Fremont to FL, I would not hesitate in ordering if you have the means to do so.

Probably ok with AWD, P is likely assured.

Yes I'll be selling my current one since I had two reservations and don't want to miss out on rebate. Is it worth paying almost $7k more?
So you are gong to sell you current 3 as used and depreciated, then buy another new one just to use the tax credit???? This reminds me of buying something you don't need or really want at ½ price because you are "saving" money.

Reactions: GSP
Perhaps I am confused in reference to the last couple responses and in that respect glad I posted here. So if I sell my current car I would lose the $7500 tax credit I got on that one? Why?

I have another reservation that I would use and if I can order today I would get an additional $7500 tax credit, would I not?

Perhaps I am confused in reference to the last couple responses and in that respect glad I posted here. So if I sell my current car I would lose the $7500 tax credit I got on that one? Why?

I have another reservation that I would use and if I can order today I would get an additional $7500 tax credit, would I not?
If you have enough tax liability you can use as many credits as number vehicles you buy. The point they're trying to make is you're probably going to lose more than the amount of the tax credit on depreciation from selling your previous Model 3. So if your only reason for buying a new Model 3 is because you want to get a tax credit, then you will end up losing money. If you want to buy another one for the other reasons you listed (ie, upgrading to AWD) then go for it, the tax credit is a nice bonus.

If you want the red, get the red. I'm also in Orlando and and we love the red. Cleans up real nice and looks fab even when dirty. The cost of red is a bit off putting now, but other than that it's well suited to Florida, IMO.