Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Paint Damage to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I wanted to know what options I have to try to alleviate this scratch (see pics) on my Model S (85D) in black. I have tried Mother's Rubbing Compound but it didn't seem to do anything. Is touch-up paint from the tesla shop a good option or is there something better on the market?
I did the exact same thing to my black 85D twice. Both times I took it to the body shop. They buffed and painted a bit. It is hard to notice. Don't waste your time with the touch up paint for the scratches you have. Cost me a total of $140 for the body shop.

Reactions: decrypt
I did the exact same thing to my black 85D twice. Both times I took it to the body shop. They buffed and painted a bit. It is hard to notice. Don't waste your time with the touch up paint for the scratches you have. Cost me a total of $140 for the body shop.
Wow. In NY body shops are very expensive. I'm surprised that it was that inexpensive. Thanks.

My first stop would be a PROFESSIONAL detailer. Those guys can do some pretty incredible things that you'd think were impossible. I've seen mine inspect a scratch with an actual microscope to determine best approach.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
I had one on my Lexus S430 in the same location that actually looked worse than yours. It turns out most of the lighter material was transfer and although there were scratches in the clearcoat, they did not go all the way through and after about 5 minutes with a liquid rubbing compound, you couldn't tell.

photo 2.JPG

The touch up paint will look like crap. Find a local mobile dent repair person. They usually can buff and repair deep scratches on bumpers.
Before you try to touch it up yourself, seek out a paintless dent repair pro, he/she could take care of what appears to be mostly paint transfer with a good buff and polishing.
Thanks for the advice. I will look into this option

Reactions: Reekdog
I had one on my Lexus S430 in the same location that actually looked worse than yours. It turns out most of the lighter material was transfer and although there were scratches in the clearcoat, they did not go all the way through and after about 5 minutes with a liquid rubbing compound, you couldn't tell.

View attachment 193078
Thanks. Do you know of any liquid compound that is good? As mentioned I've tried the mothers "rubbing compound" but no results

Thanks. Do you know of any liquid compound that is good? As mentioned I've tried the mothers "rubbing compound" but no results
You'll need a high speed buffer with the right combination of buffer pads. If you don't have the equipment and experience it's best to leave it to the pros or you could burn through your paint. Call a Paintless dent removal or experienced detailer for a quote, they can make it look great again for way less than having a body shop Repaint and blend the fender. Watch this to see how it's done

Last edited:
You'll need a high speed buffer with the right combination of buffer pads. If you don't have the equipment and experience it's best to leave it to the pros or you could burn through your paint. Call a Paintless dent removal or experienced detailer for a quote, they can make it look great again for way less than having a body shop Repaint and blend the fender. Watch this to see how it's done
Thanks!