Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help passing cable through firewall on a 22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to install a remote radar system on my 2022 model 3 performance. It seems like the video/resources available are for older generations that have a nice giant grommet to pass cables through the firewall.

My 2022 does not have such grommet. The only thing I could find on the passenger side frunk area is pictured. There is 2 nubs opposite of each other and a wire loom in the center.

Wonder if it’s safe to cut the nub and run a snake through it?

Attachments

• 49B17C86-8AE1-4C0A-9BB0-27361EDE6477.jpeg
    49B17C86-8AE1-4C0A-9BB0-27361EDE6477.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 326
Are the nubs directly across from each other (i.e. one inside and one outside in the same spot)? If so, I would definitely try cutting the tips to pass wire through. Then I would either zip tie the nub around the wire or put in a little bit of silicone sealant to keep dust and air out. Just make sure there are no wires or hoses in the way.

The giant rubber grommet in the older cars (like mine) was lower down near where the passenger lays their feet if they stretch out. I think its the spot where the steering shaft would go through on right-hand-drive cars. Now I think all the right-hand-drive cars are either made in Shanghai or Brandenburg, so Tesla might have eliminated that additional hole and grommet from Fremont-made cars.

BTW, my 2022 M3LR has the large rubber grommet at the top edge of the passenger foot-well carpet. There is a separate matching rubber grommet on the firewall side. I went through both of them to install the power lead from my Hansshow 4G display to the positive terminal of my Li-ion battery.

Reactions: lotech
BTW, my 2022 M3LR has the large rubber grommet at the top edge of the passenger foot-well carpet. There is a separate matching rubber grommet on the firewall side. I went through both of them to install the power lead from my Hansshow 4G display to the positive terminal of my Li-ion battery.
Hi, thanks for the info. I have a 2022 M3LR as well with AMD processor and Li-Ion 12V. I think I see the large grommet on the passenger side. It's under the carpet and not high up behind electronics, correct?