Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help picking insurance for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I finally pulled the trigger on a "CPO" 2016 Tesla Model S 75D. Really excited!

Need to work the insurance angle. We currently have GEICO for two cars (2015 Toyota Highlander and 2007 VW GTI), and we pay about $972/six months here in MD for those. (This is husband and wife, now in our 50s! with pretty clean records.)

Going with GEICO (300/500/100 and $1K deductibles) to add the Tesla would be $1726 (=+$754/six months). Moving all three cars to USAA would be $1673 (=+$701 over the two cars currently at GEICO). Progressive has the lowest price of the three on the Tesla (haven't tried doing the rest): adding the Tesla via Progressive would total $1,560 (=+$588).

Anyone have thoughts or experiences to share on these companies and their prices? We've been pretty pleased with GEICO for our cars, same for USAA for our homeowners (though we haven't had any claims). Never dealt with Progressive, but they fair poorly on Consumer Reports' insurance rankings.

Thanks!

Todd

We have progressive because they have the best rates on Tesla's that we could find. Have been with them for about 2 years and no issues so far. Only had one minor claim though when the wife scraped the side of a parking garage but everything went smoothly with that.

We have progressive for all 3 of our cars. Can I say holy outrageous prices Batman. I pay $768 every 6 months and have a $0 deductible. Glass. Roadside. Etc. (I also have my home through one of their subsidiary companies (nationwide) I’ve been with progressive for over 15 years (had a brief 2 year stint with State Farm) progressive has handled a MAJOR accident for me and they handled it flawlessly including the attorney they provided me to fight said accident. And my home owners insurance handled a $10k break in coverage 5 years ago. Also very very quick turn around time with them.

I’ve never had anything but great customer service when calling them (I have a 4th vehicle I keep garages and have insurance on it maybe 30 days a year so I have to go through them to add and then remove
Said coverage)

Everyone's situation will be different so asking who we would recommend is pointless if your trying to find the cheapest. Your best bet is to use an insurance broker so they can check the rates of all the companies so it saves you the hassle.

We have progressive because they have the best rates on Tesla's that we could find. Have been with them for about 2 years and no issues so far. Only had one minor claim though when the wife scraped the side of a parking garage but everything went smoothly with that.

JD, did your rates go up after this claim?
I ask because our M3 windshield broke yesterday and Telsas quote is $1,057.00 (including tax) . Progressive chat agent told me that anything under $1k (of course) and they do not raise rates on this or next term.
So I was hoping your experience might shed some light on what to expect from them with rate increases ...maybe Ill just pay out of pocket??

We have been with Progressive for about 10 years and the Tesla rate for my MS was $50 cheaper per term than my 2016 Nissan Z car (crazy) and my wife's M3 was $100 cheaper per term than her 2018 Pathfinder.
I also have a S2000 with full coverage (its 16 years old) and it is only $60 less than my model S.
Progressive is certainly affordable with Tesla coverage ...I hope that doesn't change anytime soon.

JD, did your rates go up after this claim?
I ask because our M3 windshield broke yesterday and Telsas quote is $1,057.00 (including tax) . Progressive chat agent told me that anything under $1k (of course) and they do not raise rates on this or next term.

The claim was about $4k. Our rates did go up but not by much, can't recall exactly how much.

We have Ameriprise as executive COSTCO members. We have a 2015 late Tesla S P90D. We also have a McLaren (pictured) and a Lexus RX 350. We pay about $1050 for all 3 for 6 months. On top we have a $1,000,000 umbrella with one of their companies for about $350 a year. Great folks to work with.
Just can't beat it.

Hello all,

I finally pulled the trigger on a "CPO" 2016 Tesla Model S 75D. Really excited!

Need to work the insurance angle. We currently have GEICO for two cars (2015 Toyota Highlander and 2007 VW GTI), and we pay about $972/six months here in MD for those. (This is husband and wife, now in our 50s! with pretty clean records.)

Going with GEICO (300/500/100 and $1K deductibles) to add the Tesla would be $1726 (=+$754/six months). Moving all three cars to USAA would be $1673 (=+$701 over the two cars currently at GEICO). Progressive has the lowest price of the three on the Tesla (haven't tried doing the rest): adding the Tesla via Progressive would total $1,560 (=+$588).

Anyone have thoughts or experiences to share on these companies and their prices? We've been pretty pleased with GEICO for our cars, same for USAA for our homeowners (though we haven't had any claims). Never dealt with Progressive, but they fair poorly on Consumer Reports' insurance rankings.

Thanks!

Todd

As a personal injury lawyer that sues these carriers regularly, USAA is the clear winner out of those you listed. CHUBB is a top-flight carrier and should also be considered if you qualify with them. If offered in your state and if multiple vehicles on your policy, make sure to “stack” your Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LN1_Casey