Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help planning a ski trip - Range anxiety!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking the family skiing up to Okemo in VT. I’ve mapped out the trip and I plan to hit one Supercharger along the way. I’ll be driving my Model X 75D. I have the 22” wheels.

Attached are two maps....one shows the route between my home and the Supercharger (64 miles), and the other shows the route between the Supercharger and Okemo (146 miles).

Temps are expected to be in the mid 20s degrees F. There will be some traffic....we will be leaving our house around 4:30p.

Do you guys think if I recharge to 100% at the Supercharger, that I will make it to Okemo? Basically it’s the 146 miles in the cold weather that I’m worried about. I purchased a few electric blankets for the car so I keep the heat off or low. Our skis will be in the car, so there won’t be any additional wind drag.

Do you think I’ll have any problems? I average about 450Wh with my regular daily driving.

3028A93D-9DAE-44B6-8CAA-C257EAD102BE.jpeg
FFF78D95-9B47-4C7A-A308-9BFD03B18E36.jpeg

90D246FC-A74C-4090-BDF7-BCF0FE9B96EB.jpeg
Thanks. I’ve checked out EV Trip Planner. I couldn’t find a Model X 75D in their selection of cars, but I used a Model S 75D with 21” wheels....probably the closest match.

EV Trip Planner doesn’t tell me how much battery I will have remaining when I get to both the Supercharger and my destination in VT. I would like to know how much of a buffer I have to account for the unknowns....traffic, stop for a bathroom break for the kids, etc.

I guess I can use the Nav app in the car for this, but from what I understand the Nav app in the car based on 350Wh of battery consumption/usage. I think I will be averaging around 450Wh based on my variables.

Any other advice?

I travelled to VT during in the brutal cold (between -5 and -20) and here are some tips:

1. Dress in layers...even wear snow pants etc. If the sun is out you'll be toasty warm without using much heat.

2. Allow for more time at Superchargers...don't be in a rush. When it's really cold charge rates drop dramatically and being you'll want to "fill up" at SCs this will take longer as well.

3. When in doubt draft a truck. I've been in situations where I'm driving into heavy winds in cold weather and it looks like I'm not going to make it. In these situations drafting a truck is a life saver...you'll actually see your "battery percentage at arrival" increase.

Use the P90D X on EV tripplanner instead of the S.

Based on some conservative numbers, you should have no problem getting there. Charge to 100% and pay attention to your usage. If its getting to low just slow down. If you go 45mph you can go a huge distance if you need to.

I assume you are sure you will have charging there to make it back?

My concern would not be your range, but your safety with those 22 inch tires if they are summer tires. We were given a MXP90D as a loaner with larger summer tires and my wife slid almost 60 feet in slushy snow. We had to switch the tires and wheels over to our all seasons in storage while waiting for car to be fixed. The difference was HUGE. The MX loaner is now safe to drive in snow.

My concern would not be your range, but your safety with those 22 inch tires if they are summer tires. We were given a MXP90D as a loaner with larger summer tires and my wife slid almost 60 feet in slushy snow. We had to switch the tires and wheels over to our all seasons in storage while waiting for car to be fixed. The difference was HUGE. The MX loaner is now safe to drive in snow.

I have the all season 22” tires. Traction isn’t an issue, but mileage efficiency certainly is with the 22s.

Thanks guys. I’ll checkout abetterrouteplanner.

I am hoping the electric blankets I bought on amazon arrive today before our trip. Do you guys think the power draw of the electric blankets will affect my range? Does the power from the cigarette adapter draw from the main car battery or from the 12V battery?

Even if the planner said you could make 146 miles in one charge, you really want to be conservative on your first drive to the area. We have a MX75D also, and we live in LA. It is mostly flat and outside temp is like 50 to 70 degree F. My wife had been taking the car out on 150 miles round trip quite a few times now starting at 90% charge. When she is back home driving by herself with no other load in the MX, she has about 25 to 30 miles left on the meter just for a reference. And our MX lifetime average for 3000 miles is 365 wh/mile.

On the other hand, our first trip to the local mountain here, abetterrouteplanner gave us a really good estimate on the range. But it was only a 50 to 60 miles round trip.

I would suggest going the 95/91 route and hit Brattleboro sc. Dont bother with albany route or the new supercharger through taconic. Trust me I take this route all the time. Much faster and if u time ur stops u won't each much time. I head up to stratton all the time from NYC area in the model s with roof rack. Plan to use at least 50-90 percent more range in below freezing temps. I usually do a stop at west springfield for 10 min enough to hit Brattleboro.

Reactions: Enadler
Also note that charging at a lower SOC is much faster than charging at about 80%to 100%. So that first 60 mile stop doesnt make sense since it will take u the same amount of time to charge to 100 percent. Just realized you already left for this trip. I would highly recommend going the 95/91 route. Better food choices at west springfield and much faster overall time.

Also note that charging at a lower SOC is much faster than charging at about 80%to 100%. So that first 60 mile stop doesnt make sense since it will take u the same amount of time to charge to 100 percent. Just realized you already left for this trip. I would highly recommend going the 95/91 route. Better food choices at west springfield and much faster overall time.

My trip was last Friday, and it wasn't the first time heading to Okemo in VT in the Model X 75D. I had made this trip once before, and I did take 91 up through Springfield, MA and used the Supercharger there, and once more in Brattleboro, VT. It wasn't a bad trip, but traffic on Friday night through Springfield at 6pm was a nightmare! Added about 45-60 mins to my trip!

On last Friday's trip I decided to try the Taconic and use the new Supercharger in Clinton Corners. I arrived there with about 70% battery remaining, and I charged back up to 100% in about 20 mins. It was a nice place to stop with a decent convenience store, bathrooms, etc. I headed back up the Taconic and was planning to hit Rt. 22 to get to Bennington, VT, then to Route 30....etc. About halfway up the Taconic, the car told me to keep my speed below 65mph to reach my destination! I was about 115 miles to my destination, and the car was showing a range of about 165 miles. It also started snowing around this time, so I was getting a little nervous about making it all the way to Okemo. I decided to divert and hit the Supercharger in Lee, MA, then I headed up Rt 7 to Bennington.

The trip took waaaay longer than expected. A total of 6.5 hours! Our friends made it up following the original route via the Taconic to 22 in 4 hours (in an ICE vehicle). Average consumption was 435Wh on the way up.

The way home was a lot better. I went through Springfield and hit the Supercharger there. Stop was only 30 mins and it was plenty to get me home. Average consumption on the way home was 385Wh. I think the elevation change makes a big difference!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Yea that lee ma detour is the worst. It adds about an hour because it is out of the way. Yea I that Friday traffic is bad sometimes but the 91 route has always been the winner. I did the lee ma detour when they opened up and it ended up being too long because of it being off route. Well glad you made it. Probably wouldve been better off staying below the speed limit and watch ur consumption and do some calculations. Besides that how was the ❄?