Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help...Please. Looking at a used Tesla...Build Sheets Available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Looking at a very nice 2013 P85 Performance model with 19K miles on it. It is in near perfect shape...But at a Dodge dealership. They really do not know much about it. They know of the basic options / features but not much else. I had to have them search (they are happy to however) for the third row seats (need them), etc.

Is there any way to use the VIN number to obtain a build sheet? Looking to see a list of the options that came on the car. It is about 500 miles from me...So I will have quite the trip home getting to know it (and how to use a Super Charger!).

Thanks in advance!!

Mark

I bought my P85 used. I called Tesla through the 1-800 # but they wouldn't release any info to me. I then called the SC and they listed off everything they car came with from the factory. The one thing I was looking for was dual chargers which was not on the build, but seems like the previous owner added it later. Call the SC and see if they will give you more details.

Sweet! Sounds like a good find. Good luck. :)

It sounds like they know the seats exist somewhere, but just FYI, if the car didn't come with 3rd row seats from the factory it can't have them retrofitted. The chassis has significantly different rear reinforcements installed when 3rd row seats are added as an option, and it's not possible to do that after the fact.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
This is a longshot, but it worked for me once. If the car was traded into that dealership (not purchased at an auction) ask them to contact the prior owner to see if he will chat with you about the car. Can't hurt to ask. Worked for me and I bought the car. Had a great conversation with the prior owner. It was a 911 and I still have it 10 years later.

Reactions: Caligula
It sounds like they know the seats exist somewhere, but just FYI, if the car didn't come with 3rd row seats from the factory it can't have them retrofitted. The chassis has significantly different rear reinforcements installed when 3rd row seats are added as an option, and it's not possible to do that after the fact.

Actually if you search the forum you can see that Tesla changed their mind and you can get the third row seats retro-fitted. A number of people have done it. (They add the reinforcements and all.)

Back in January, I asked tesla about a CPO car with a VIN of 514X. I had heard that at some point in the mid-5000s VINs, tesla stopped putting the reinforcements in *all* model Ss. Meaning, it should be cheaper to retrofit the rear facing seats in those cars (or so I thought).

I was hoping they'd quote me something like $1500, but they quoted me $3500 and I said no way, better to just wait for the right CPO to come along.

I don't know what it would have cost if the VIN was higher. They didn't confirm that $3500 was the "cheap" retrofit.

I was hoping they'd quote me something like $1500, but they quoted me $3500 and I said no way, better to just wait for the right CPO to come along.

I don't know what it would have cost if the VIN was higher. They didn't confirm that $3500 was the "cheap" retrofit.

Why would you expect them to quote you $1,500 when the seats cost $3,000 to add on a new car? It seems pretty standard for Tesla to charge $500 more for something added after the original order. So $3,500 sounds just like what it should be. I think, but am not sure, that one of the people had a car that already had the reinforcement and it saved them a few hundred dollars from that price.

Yeah, a $500 premium for retrofitting seats actually sounds like a really good deal. In fact, if older S's can be retrofitted with rear facing seats for just $3,500, it may be worth it for me to find a great deal on an S without the seats, and just add them afterwards.

Yeah, a $500 premium for retrofitting seats actually sounds like a really good deal. In fact, if older S's can be retrofitted with rear facing seats for just $3,500, it may be worth it for me to find a great deal on an S without the seats, and just add them afterwards.
Beware that retrofitting those seats is highly variable. Sometime in early-to-mid 2013 they stopped adding the necessary rear bracing to all vehicles, only including it on those who ordered the rear seats. If your car has the bracing, they'll definitely install the seats. If your car doesn't have the bracing, it's a toss-up. Some people have had success in getting Tesla to add it, and many have not.

If the seats are a hard requirement, I think you'll potentially save yourself a lot of headache by finding a car that already has them.

Beware that retrofitting those seats is highly variable. Sometime in early-to-mid 2013 they stopped adding the necessary rear bracing to all vehicles, only including it on those who ordered the rear seats. If your car has the bracing, they'll definitely install the seats. If your car doesn't have the bracing, it's a toss-up. Some people have had success in getting Tesla to add it, and many have not.

If the seats are a hard requirement, I think you'll potentially save yourself a lot of headache by finding a car that already has them.

Not a hard requirement, but a "really, really nice to have" want. The used S's that would probably fall in my price range would likely be earlier 2013s anyways, so the retrofit would seemingly be less painful.

But I am definitely tracking CPO's with RFS.

Well pretty much have the deal done. Just wish I knew what I was actually getting.

The local Tesla would not print out an option sheet for me. She did admit it was a nice car but said they were not allowed to share the build sheet.

Bummer for sure. Well I know the obvious options. But nothing about the charging system, suspension, other small options, etc.

If anyone could point me to another route that would be great!!

Why would you expect them to quote you $1,500 when the seats cost $3,000 to add on a new car? It seems pretty standard for Tesla to charge $500 more for something added after the original order. So $3,500 sounds just like what it should be. I think, but am not sure, that one of the people had a car that already had the reinforcement and it saved them a few hundred dollars from that price.

As others have said, back in the <=5XXX VIN range, all model ads had the extra bracing. This AFIK is the hardest part to retrofit. Also, at that time, the rear facing seats were only a $1500 option. So right, when I said I was hoping for "something like $1500", I was prepared to hear a response up to $2000. But $3500 to me sounded like just way too much to pay for what would have originally been just a $1500 option.

To me it felt like double paying or something. And I felt like you just get a better value if you're willing to wait and find a CPO that already has the rear seats. Because then you're kinda paying some depreciated amount on *all* the options that the car has, including the rear seats. What's being proposed here, by paying $3500 on top, is paying more than MSRP for the rear seats...I just don't think that's the way to go. But hey, if you find the perfect car with the exact other options you want, and the price works out for you then go for it.