Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help please! Model X Glove box can't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So while waiting on the Tesla tech guy to come out I did some trouble shooting myself. I own a 2017 Tesla Model X and my brother owns a 2017 Tesla Model S. After Checking the fuse and and verifying that the button works by activating the glove box pin, I ended up shooting 12v to the actuator and found out that it still works. Just to double check we ended up swapping the glove boxes with my brothers Model S and found out that my glove box works in his and his does not work on mine. I wanted to confirm that my glove box was indeed good as Tesla was curtain that I need a new glove box which was roughly $400. The Tesla tech came yesterday and after listening to all my trouble shoots he was also convinced that the glove box is good and the issue had to be either wiring or software. Before he started taking it apart he asked if I did a 12V battery reset, which I completely spaced it. That is probably the easiest trouble shoot. He ended up performing the 12V battery reset and sure enough that fixed my issue, glove box is functional.
Mobile Service came out this morning. Tried connecting a new glovebox but it still wouldn't open. He assumed the button must be bad and he did not have one with him, but I told him about the 12v battery reset that I read here. He seemed skeptical but tried it and it worked! He said "how about that".

I had the same issue in my Model X 2016. It did it a few months ago and I was going to take it in but then a software update fixed it.

Then it happened again and si had to take my car in for a different issue and they told me I had to replace my glovebox which would be almost $500. Fortunately they didn’t have the part in stock. They scheduled for the repair to be done at my house the following week. And I was going to pay to replace the glovebox when another software update was done and it fixed the issue again.

I can’t believe that service center was going to replace a glovebox when it’s a software issue. No reason a glovebox should need to be replaced on these Teslas.

Had the same issue with my 2016 MX, which was fixed by a software update.
'Emergency' opening of the glove box: carefully hit the side of the glove box (where the door is) with your fist and the glove box will open.

Had the same issue with my 2016 MX, which was fixed by a software update.
'Emergency' opening of the glove box: carefully hit the side of the glove box (where the door is) with your fist and the glove box will open.
I made a similar experience with my Model X 2017 some time end of 2023 (though In my case it was caused by a software update, possibly the update of the navigation maps). The Tesla SC proposed to exchange the complete glove box compartment. I refused as the button itself worked when I configured a PIN which was prompted when pushing this physical button which is there on older Teslas to open the glove box. Yet the glove box did not open after entering the PIN. I did not hear any noise from the actuator. Reading through several threads here I was convinced that this must be software issue related to a software update. I am on 2022.8.10.16 which is currently the latest available version in my region. So I refused to have my glove box replaced and insisted that the Tesla mobile service would disconnect the 12V battery. All other resets I attempted did not work.

The Tesla SC gave in. The ranger arrived this week and disassembled the whole frunk to disconnect the 12V battery. Disassembling the complete frunk is the procedure according to the work instructions from Tesla (I have seen a video on YouTube which shows that this can be done simply to removing the cover below the windshield:
). Anyway the whole procedure took only like 20 minutes and now the glove compartment opens again. So I can confirm that this was a software glitch which required a hard reset.

I could have done this myself but did not have the time and had some concerns not knowing which configurations might get lost. Actually no config was lost. Only the falcon wing doors need to be recalibrated. This recalibration is done automatically when following the steps described in the Tesla service manual which outlines how to enter into service mode and how to take care not to lock yourself out of the car when the battery is disconnected.

Reactions: 16MX and scottf200