Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help please! Model X Glove box can't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Thanks for your input in advance.
My 2016 X glove box suddenly decided to not work today. When i click the button it does nothing and made no sound.
I went online to do some research and found that there is a way to open Model 3 Glove putting the side panel off, but when i did the same the inside looked different.

I have tired to give it some force to assist it open, but with no luck. I have also tired the voice command (thinking the button might be broken or something) but for some reason my 2016 MCU2.0 say Command is not available.

The car is out of Warranty so i wanted to try a few things before sending it in SC. Does anyone has suggestion? could it be the fuse (since it made no noise when i click the glove box button.)? (the light under the button still works. Thank you

Woody

My glove box was once stuck. What i did was, I opened the front door passenger side and gave a gentle push inwards from the right-side of the glove box (you can see the right side of the glove box if you open the front door) - after the gentle push the glove box opened- possibly misalignment of the glove box door. Hope this helps.

I’ve had this happen at least four times in three years. Usually because something shifted inside the glovebox and is blocking one of the latches. Stick a putty knife between the dash and the glovebox door, and gently wiggle it/apply pressure while hitting the release button. It’ll pop right open!

That being said, don’t overload the glove box. 🙃

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
The glove box work AFTER 2022.8.3 update!!! Software issue!!
The glove box work AFTER 2022.8.3 update!!! Software issue!!
Did you have to wait for the software update or was the service able to push the update? Having the same issue. Glove box stopped working no sound at all when I push the button. Did the reset and check the fuse still no luck

Back from Service and glove box is operational again. I did have an MCU software update also.
Screenshot_20220824-200954~2.jpg

So, did they end up replacing the glove box or did they just perform a software update? Is your Tesla still under warranty that it didn't cost you anything?
It says they replaced it, but also that there was an electrical issue (low voltage).

Yes, I got that sweet deal with a 4y used car warranty.

But they also broke my console sliding door. I had to make a ranger appt for that.

So while waiting on the Tesla tech guy to come out I did some trouble shooting myself. I own a 2017 Tesla Model X and my brother owns a 2017 Tesla Model S. After Checking the fuse and and verifying that the button works by activating the glove box pin, I ended up shooting 12v to the actuator and found out that it still works. Just to double check we ended up swapping the glove boxes with my brothers Model S and found out that my glove box works in his and his does not work on mine. I wanted to confirm that my glove box was indeed good as Tesla was curtain that I need a new glove box which was roughly $400. The Tesla tech came yesterday and after listening to all my trouble shoots he was also convinced that the glove box is good and the issue had to be either wiring or software. Before he started taking it apart he asked if I did a 12V battery reset, which I completely spaced it. That is probably the easiest trouble shoot. He ended up performing the 12V battery reset and sure enough that fixed my issue, glove box is functional.

• Informative
Reactions: 16MX and scottf200
I can confirm, that a stuck glove box can to be caused by software on Model X 2016. On September 16th 2022 I was unable to open the glove box. I could tell that the button worked by setting a glove box pin and see that the screen reacted when the button was clicked. However no noise was heard and the box did not open. On September 18th I updated to 2022.24.8 and now it works again. (A tip: My CCS adapter was in the box and I was about to charge at a SuperCharger when I realised that the box was stock. Now I keep the adapter in the trunk, so that I can still charge if it happens again.) . Greetings from Denmark.

Reactions: scottf200