TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

help please- question on charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by sarum87, Dec 1, 2015.

1. sarum87

sarum87 New Member

new owner and a question on charging out in the wild. there seems to be many companies that offer charging stations. some don't take a visa card- you need to have their specific charging card. any ideas what are the leading (largest distribution) charging companies out there? it's frustrating when I get to a site and don't have their specific charging card.

2. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

3. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Or you could ask your specific route and owners with experience will give you some advice. Blink, evGo and ChargePoint are not very ubiquitous yet.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Just get all the cards - most (if not all) are free. I keep mine in a bag with adapters.

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

And on the MS, there's the flap pocket at the front of the seat. It's practically made for this exact purpose. I just shove all of mine in there, and they're always ready when i arrive.

6. green1

green1 Active Member

Note that this is only on the old seats, the next-gen ones don't have the pocket.

But I agree, that's where my charging cards live too.

7. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Use PlugShare.com to browse the chargers before you use them. The listings there will discuss whether the charger needs a special card and whether it requires payment, plus helpful tips about reliability and location and such. They even have a special version for the car's built-in browser which works OKish, and smartphone apps.

8. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

9. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

And it was only on the leather version of the old seats. The old textile seats did not have the pocket either.