Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we built our home we had a 240 put in (photo attached) just in case we decided to go electric at some point. Finally made the jump and went to charge for the first time at home today. It seems like the charging is extremely slow. I could definitely be wrong, considering that the more the range, the more the charge rate slows. That said, does this look normal to you? Almost 9 hours when I started from about 25%. If not, what could be slowing the charge?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5C826779-0AAF-4F17-A51B-B2FAFDDC9AF0.jpeg
    5C826779-0AAF-4F17-A51B-B2FAFDDC9AF0.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 78
When we built our home we had a 240 put in (photo attached) just in case we decided to go electric at some point. Finally made the jump and went to charge for the first time at home today. It seems like the charging is extremely slow. I could definitely be wrong, considering that the more the range, the more the charge rate slows. That said, does this look normal to you? Almost 9 hours when I started from about 25%. If not, what could be slowing the charge?

Thanks in advance.
No that is a decent speed. It depends on your amps of the 240 volt. When you wake up in the morning you have a full charge.

What you’re seeing, 8kw, is nominal speed for the 32 amp mobile connector that comes with your car. Everything is working as expected.

In an hour, an 8kw charger will add 8kwh to your battery, so a full 0-100% charge of a 100kwh battery is about 12 hours.

If you want faster charging speed, you could install a wall connector which will give you 48 amps (11.5kw) instead of 32.

If you want to stay with the 50 amp outlet instead of installing a wall connector, you could get a Gen1 UMC which would charge at 40 amps instead of 32 amps.That would allow you to charge 25% faster.

BTW, your 240 Volt outlet is allowing you to charge about 5 times faster than a regular outlet. If you were using a standard 5-15 outlet, you'd only be adding about 3 mph and it would take over 40 hours to recharge from 25%. Cars take a lot more energy than cell phones!

It's right for the UMC and a NEMA 14-50.
How many times are you expecting to charge from 25% to full? Normally I expect that you don't charge this much and it would only take a few hours.

Oh, and 9 hours is perfect for overnight.
Very good point, I was up and down the highway from MD to DE. Tesla recommends charging whenever the car isn’t in use. Wasn’t expecting that, so I suppose I won’t usually be that low. Before purchasing my thought was to only plug in every couple of days.

Very good point, I was up and down the highway from MD to DE. Tesla recommends charging whenever the car isn’t in use. Wasn’t expecting that, so I suppose I won’t usually be that low. Before purchasing my thought was to only plug in every couple of days.

And plugging in every few days is fine. My take on the Tesla statement it to not leave it unplugged for weeks. Of course there seems to be people who seem to take it at exactly face value. But you aren't going to stay plugged in all the time, not while at work, not while driving. So just plug in as it best fits you.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It seems like the charging is extremely slow. I could definitely be wrong, considering that the more the range, the more the charge rate slows.
Not so much when using AC to charge at home. Perhaps you're confusing a slowing charge rate while observing rapid DC Supercharging?
Taking out the guesswork from your screenshot. 32A X 238V = 7616 watts or 7.616 kW.

Reactions: AW9nineteen
And plugging in every few days is fine. My take on the Tesla statement it to not leave it unplugged for weeks. Of course there seems to be people who seem to take it at exactly face value. But you aren't going to stay plugged in all the time, not while at work, not while driving. So just plug in as it best fits you.

I agree it’s “fine”, but if you have charging at home I have no idea why you’d NOT take their advice and plug in every night. Shallower cycles are demonstrably better for lithium batteries.

If you want to stay with the 50 amp outlet instead of installing a wall connector, you could get a Gen1 UMC which would charge at 40 amps instead of 32 amps.That would allow you to charge 25% faster.

BTW, your 240 Volt outlet is allowing you to charge about 5 times faster than a regular outlet. If you were using a standard 5-15 outlet, you'd only be adding about 3 mph and it would take over 40 hours to recharge from 25%. Cars take a lot more energy than cell phones!

I agree with MorrisonHiker to achieve faster charging, if needed. My 2017 ms has the earlier UMC charging at 40 amps for 29 miles per hour using a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. You may be able to find one on ebay or another site. Of course, an electrician must confirm your charging line/breaker can handle that much current. If OP budget allows, go with the faster charging wall connector. Most of us sleep and don't drive for 8+ hrs per day so that's ample time for level 2 charging.

I agree it’s “fine”, but if you have charging at home I have no idea why you’d NOT take their advice and plug in every night. Shallower cycles are demonstrably better for lithium batteries.

Show me "demonstrably" with Tesla batteries? Heck just even a predicted loss over the Tesla battery life would be interesting.

Also, if we take your statement at face value, I drive about 10-20 miles per day normally and charge every 5 days. For the folks that drive 100 miles per day and charge daily, are you suggesting that our batteries are going to last the same?

If we add up all of the "rules" that everyone has, then a Tesla battery probably won't last 3 years. I don't think that's the case.

As I said to your response in another thread, show me "demonstrably"

I don't plug in daily, because I don't worry about the battery. I've been driving EVs for 5 years and this is my 3rd car. None of the batteries have shown significant degradation, actually they are less than average, all at very close to original range. I have so little range anxiety that I barely think or worry about range or plugging in. I fill the car as I've filled every other car, except that I do it at home in my sleep.

Lousy EV experiences, in order.
  1. Charging at a paid L2 charger daily
  2. Charging at a free L2 charger daily
  3. Charging at a DC fast Charger (Supercharger) daily
  4. Charging at a DC fast Charger (Supercharger) weekly
  5. Charging at home daily
  6. Charging at home periodically
  7. Charging at home on a wireless charging platform
I just don't worry about the battery!!!!! (and it stays happy)

Show me "demonstrably" with Tesla batteries? Heck just even a predicted loss over the Tesla battery life would be interesting.
This isn’t some wives tale. It’s based on decades of experience with and refinement of lithium ion batteries across all sorts of applications. Tesla’s advice (plug it in, avoid max charges unless needed) is well established best practice.

Also, if we take your statement at face value, I drive about 10-20 miles per day normally and charge every 5 days. For the folks that drive 100 miles per day and charge daily, are you suggesting that our batteries are going to last the same?
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the term “charge cycles”. I’m saying all other things equal, shallower cycles and staying near the middle of the charge range is objectively better for lithium battery longevity.

I don't plug in daily, because I don't worry about the battery. I've been driving EVs for 5 years and this is my 3rd car.

That’s cool and all. Happy the approach works for you. If I had 3 cars in 5 years I wouldn’t worry about the battery either (or probably anything else for that matter). On the contrary, I’ve had my EV for 3 years, 90,000 miles, and intend to keep it for another 5. Best practice and longevity probably matters a bit more to me - if the trivially simple act of spending six seconds plugging the car in every night has even a modicum of positive effect toward that goal, it’s a no-brainer.

Your personal experience of simply replacing the car every 18 months is certainly an option, but you’re acting like your anecdotal experience in a specific set of circumstances is a valid challenge to established best practice.

This isn’t some wives tale. It’s based on decades of experience with and refinement of lithium ion batteries across all sorts of applications. Tesla’s advice (plug it in, avoid max charges unless needed) is well established best practice.

So there's been no differences in Lithium batteries in "decades" And give me some real numbers. Is it 1% over a 10 year life of the battery 10% or 0.1%.

I can show you Lithium batteries that don't last 3 years, does that mean they all don't?

Charging at home on a wireless charging platform

Ewoodrick, have you ever seen wireless charging for an EV? Some EV buses in Martha's Vineyard, MA have wireless charging. They charge overnight when parked in a special space. A spokesperson said their next step is to install chargers at spots around town where the bus must be idle for 15+ minutes. Elon, give us a wireless charger for the garage.