Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! PPF shop says my entire Y needs to be wet sanded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After getting my Model Y back from the service center after 2 weeks, I was happy to finally have all issues resolved from delivery. Drop my car off to get PPF, STEK Dynoshield and a day later the owner calls to say,

“It looks like Tesla painted your car and then put it outside. There is debris in your clear coat over the entire car, we’ve never seen it this bad before, usually it’s just a few spots on the hood.” They related they would not wrap my car in the Dynoshield because it would just emphasize the debris and they stand by their work and wouldn’t want it looking like they didn’t do their job. They gave me a few options, to contact Tesla and see if they would cover the invoice cost to have them wet sand the entire care to fix it, pay for the wet sand myself if Tesla won’t ($2,000), or go with the STEK DynoMatt which would hide the defects. They related the DynoMatt is more expensive, but if I decided to go with that they would charge me half of the difference due to the unexpected issue. He also sent me a video showing all the debris and I honestly don’t know how I didn’t notice this at delivery, it makes me sick!

I reached out to my original Service advisor and left a voicemail. Made an appointment though the app and text a request to the service number.

Any input and advice is welcomed.
Has anyone had this issue?
Did Tesla cover it?
Does DynoMatt really cost more than DynoShield?
Does $2,000 for wet sanding seem excessive?

Attached is a screen shot from the video of some of the debris.

Attachments

• 36A66987-A5F5-4E4E-A676-03333E436505.jpeg
    36A66987-A5F5-4E4E-A676-03333E436505.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 140
Take some photos of the paint. I wouldn't do a wet sanding. They're saying the clear coat has contaminants right? Which means buffing it out won't do anything. How bad is it?

Xpel stealth gives the paint a matte look and should hide the imperfections well. It seems shady to me. I would get a second opinion.

Reactions: KenYoung1
After getting my Model Y back from the service center after 2 weeks, I was happy to finally have all issues resolved from delivery. Drop my car off to get PPF, STEK Dynoshield and a day later the owner calls to say,

“It looks like Tesla painted your car and then put it outside. There is debris in your clear coat over the entire car, we’ve never seen it this bad before, usually it’s just a few spots on the hood.” They related they would not wrap my car in the Dynoshield because it would just emphasize the debris and they stand by their work and wouldn’t want it looking like they didn’t do their job. They gave me a few options, to contact Tesla and see if they would cover the invoice cost to have them wet sand the entire care to fix it, pay for the wet sand myself if Tesla won’t ($2,000), or go with the STEK DynoMatt which would hide the defects. They related the DynoMatt is more expensive, but if I decided to go with that they would charge me half of the difference due to the unexpected issue. He also sent me a video showing all the debris and I honestly don’t know how I didn’t notice this at delivery, it makes me sick!

I reached out to my original Service advisor and left a voicemail. Made an appointment though the app and text a request to the service number.

Any input and advice is welcomed.
Has anyone had this issue?
Did Tesla cover it?
Does DynoMatt really cost more than DynoShield?
Does $2,000 for wet sanding seem excessive?

Attached is a screen shot from the video of some of the debris.
Take it to Auto Detailing Service | Concours Auto Spa | Los Angeles CA
Have them look at it, for a 2nd opinion, they have a shop in closeby in Torrance