Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help promote EVs in Florida - Legislators File Bills Exempting EVs from Sales Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And we have a similar bill filed in the Florida House to exempt EV's and HV's from sales tax! HB 905 filed by Rep. John Cortes (D-43) of Kissimmee on February 23rd.

Florida House of Representatives - HB 905 - An Exemption from Sales & Use Tax for Electrical & Hydrogen Vehicles

Senate Bill 0905 (2015) - The Florida Senate

- - - Updated - - -

I sent Rep. Cortes a thank you email. Feel free to re-use what I wrote if you'd like.

Dear Rep. Cortes,

My name is [INSERT YOUR NAME] and I am a Florida resident. I'm writing to express my support of HB 905, a bill that you filed that would exempt Electric and Hydrogen Vehicles from Sales Tax. Your bill appears to be related to a bill filed in the Senate by Sen. Soto SB 864. I am a Tesla Motors Model S Electric Vehicle owner and a member of the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts, a 600+ person group of Electric Vehicle owners and supporters. We overwhelmingly support your efforts and are eagerly following the progress of these bills!

I've reached out to Sen. Soto thanking him for filing this bill. I wanted to do the same to you. Thank you for filing the bill.

If there is anything we can do to spread the word, please advise. We're discussing these two bills on our forum at the following thread: SB 864 - FL Sales Tax Exemption Proposed for EV Hydrogen-Powered Vehichles - Page 3

Thank you for your service and I look forward to your response.

[INSERT YOUR NAME]

Last edited:
Petition Started

Hi folks, I've started a petition that encourages the Florida Legislature to pass HB 095 and SB 864, which would exempt Electric and Hydrogen Vehicles from Sales & Use Tax. In addition to contacting your Senator and Representative, please sign and share this petition with your personal and professional network.

Petition - Exempt Electric and Hydrogen Vehicles from Florida Sales Tax

Feel free to post here when you sign!

Rep. Cortes called my home (wasn't home) and left a message thanking me for bringing awareness to this legislation. Just wanted to let this group know that people are starting to take notice. Sign and share folks!!!

If he calls back, please suggest that the effective date be made retroactive (at least to 12/30/2014 in my case) !
Hope this goes through in time for those still waiting ...

yak-55