Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help promote EVs in Florida - Legislators File Bills Exempting EVs from Sales Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the following reply from my representative's office in response to my email asking for her support on the bill:

We appreciate your email as it relates to the below.

First, we greatly support green initiatives and the creation of across the board tax cuts.

However, we believe the below tax credit would cause an unfair disadvantage for these specific automobile models. We believe strongly in a free market approach and the ability of companies to compete. With that said, we don't believe this bill would allow for fair competition.

We do believe that these product are usually very cost and fuel efficient as built. That should be incentive enough!

We are sorry for disagreeing with you on this issue. That said, we appreciate your email. As always, please feel free to call me with any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Eddie Metzger
Legislative Assistant
From the Office of Representative Heather Fitzenhagen
Florida House of Representatives, District 78
2120 Main Street
Fort Myers, Florida 33901

Not happy! :cursing: Any suggestions on how I should respond?

A petition is good, but it doesn't replace directly reaching out to your state representative and state senator. Call and write to them also to express your views. Better yet, find out when they will be in their district office, and ask to meet with them directly.

I just received the following reply from my representative's office in response to my email asking for her support on the bill:

We appreciate your email as it relates to the below.

First, we greatly support green initiatives and the creation of across the board tax cuts.

However, we believe the below tax credit would cause an unfair disadvantage for these specific automobile models. We believe strongly in a free market approach and the ability of companies to compete. With that said, we don't believe this bill would allow for fair competition.

We do believe that these product are usually very cost and fuel efficient as built. That should be incentive enough!

We are sorry for disagreeing with you on this issue. That said, we appreciate your email. As always, please feel free to call me with any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Eddie Metzger
Legislative Assistant
From the Office of Representative Heather Fitzenhagen
Florida House of Representatives, District 78
2120 Main Street
Fort Myers, Florida 33901
Not happy! :cursing: Any suggestions on how I should respond?

Hi Steve,

Here's what I wrote on my petition reason:

Even with today's low gasoline prices, electric vehicles cost about 50 percent less to fuel and 60 percent less to maintain than comparable gasoline vehicles. Given these savings, electric vehicle owners have additional disposable income to spend on other goods and services. According to an economic impact study conducted by AECOM, this shift in household spending could contribute more than $1.6 billion in economic gain for the state, supporting an additional 9,500 jobs in 2030. In 2014, Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) contributed an estimated $12.5 million to the state’s economy. Today, each new PHEV on Florida’s roads contributes $1,390 every year to Florida’s economy, growing to $2,280 by 2030. Furthermore, the economic impact of 100% battery electric vehicles (BEV) is as much as 150% greater than a PHEV.

In addition to the economic benefits, widespread adoption of electric vehicles can dramatically reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Florida. Even when upstream power plant emissions are considered, electric vehicles are far cleaner than conventional vehicles.

If the economic reasons are not sufficient to convince Representative Fitzenhagen, she certainly should be sensitive to the fact that it is her responsibility to protect the health and welfare of the people she represents. Free market justifications were certainly not sufficient to invalidate the need for the various state environmental protection agencies and the regulations that they impose to safeguard the public. Free market justifications weren't sufficient to let the tobacco industry continue without additional health warning requirements and taxes. Free market justifications weren't sufficient to permit the automobile industry to continue without safety, efficiency and emissions requirements.

There is nothing unfair about providing incentives to promote economy and the public health.

Larry

Help Tesla and EVs in Florida - Legislators File Bills Exempting EVs from Sales Tax

Electric vehicle incentives in Florida generally lag behind other states, but with your help that could soon change.

In February 2015, State Senator Darren Soto and Representative John Cortes introduced legislation (Senate Bill 864 & House Bill 905) that would exempt Electric and Hydrogen Vehicles from Florida Sales & Use Tax. If these bills are passed and signed into law by Governor Rick Scott, consumers and businesses could see tax exemptions on electric vehicles beginning in July of this year...just in time for the Model X!

Florida legislators need to hear your voice in favor of electric vehicle incentives. We need you to let them know that the public supports EVs.

A fellow Model S owner started a petition encouraging the Florida Legislature to pass these bills. Please take a moment to sign the petition and contact your state legislators expressing your support.

Our prevalence for gasoline automobiles raises environmental concerns, creates a dependence on oil largely imported from foreign nations and exposes consumers to volatile fuel prices. By making it easier to purchase Electric Vehicles in the Sunshine State, Florida’s leaders will go a long way towards conserving our precious natural resources, cutting taxes and ensuring our energy independence.

Even with today's low gasoline prices, electric vehicles cost about 50 percent less to fuel and 60 percent less to maintain than comparable gasoline vehicles. Given these savings, electric vehicle owners have additional disposable income to spend on other goods and services. According to an economic impact study conducted by AECOM, this shift in household spending could contribute more than $1.6 billion in economic gain for the state, supporting an additional 9,500 jobs in 2030.

In 2014, plug in electric vehicles (PEVs) contributed an estimated $12.5 million to the state’s economy. Today, each new PEV on Florida’s roads contributes $1,390 every year to Florida’s economy, growing to $2,280 by 2030.

Please help fellow Tesla and EV enthusiasts in Florida by calling for the Florida Legislature to pass these bills and support state incentives for electric vehicles.

Links to the Two Bills:
Senate Bill 864 and House Bill 905

Find Your FL Senator Here and Find Your FL Representative Here

In response to our club's request, Plug In America has joined our effort in supporting these bills in the Florida legislature.

They sent out a mass mailing to their membeship in Florida and have set up an Action web page.

CleanTechnica picked up on their action and has created the following web page:

Support Florida EV Tax Exemptions With Plug In America

Larry

In response to our club's request, Plug In America has joined our effort in supporting these bills in the Florida legislature.

They sent out a mass mailing to their membeship in Florida and have set up an Action web page.

CleanTechnica picked up on their action and has created the following web page:

Support Florida EV Tax Exemptions With Plug In America

Larry

Larry,

This is awesome. Great work! This looks like it's starting to get some momentum. Please sign and share and contact your legislators folks!!

If you click on the Action Page they have a canned email you can send to your legislator. Check it out!