Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Question re: 85D/90D vs P85D/P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am two days away from having to lock and load my order and am suddenly worried that I made the wrong decision. It all started with a plan to buy an inventory P85D which got sold out from under me as I was contemplating it, but then they had a CPO P85+ that I drove and loved. I obviously liked the inventory P85D and liked how it handled, although I might have liked the stiffer feeling ride of the CPO P85+ a bit better (the P85D had 19's and the CPO P85+ had staggered 21's, so not sure how much of it was that). I decided to go for the newest technology and the next gen seats, and instead order a spec'd 90D, due to budget constraints. However, I did not get a chance to drive an 85D or 90D before putting in my order and I am now worried that I am going to find the suspension too soft. I also drove a CPO P85 (not a +) and found the suspension a bit on the mushy side. My driving history has been BMW's and Porsche's, so a firmer ride is something I'm used to.

In short, for those who have driven both the 85D/90D and the P85D/P90D, how different are the rides?

Also, would it be penny wise but pound foolish not to get the 90kwh battery instead of the 85kwh (I am looking for ways to get the price of the P down closer to he non P).

Any input would be most appreciated as this is a huge purchase and I am fearful of making the wrong decision.

Many thanks in advance.

Everyone has their own level of tolerance as far as the suspension goes. I went with an 85D with 19 inch wheels because my wife is used to a Lexus LS. I did not find it mushy at all. The 4WD gives you neutral handling and the low center of gravity gives you excellent corning abilities without a harsh ride. You will want to think about how the car rides on LA freeways.....the older concrete roads can be very uncomfortable. No regrets not getting a P85D.......and saving $20k....higher insurance rates.....and more sales tax and registration fees.

ride is the same in new vehicles, later cars do seem to be reported to ride and handle better than earlier cars, probably just example of continuous improvement

get the bigger battery if you need the range, no other differentiating reason.

imho stick with the 85/90D unless you are going to get Ludicrous with the P85/90D, as without it there is very little real world difference except to your wallet

I had the same decision having come from the 911 S cab. I ended up going with the P90D no ludicrous mode. I wanted the stiffer ride. All I'll say is that I'm happy. I like the sporty set up. I also would say definitely get the 90. The range never seems to be anywhere near the rated range. For that reason go for it as it'll be worth the limited extra dollars.

Spoke with my sales rep at Tesla and he confirmed that the P90D has the equivalent suspension to the old P85+. I am therefore going to go with the P90D, but am dropping the 21's and will get autopilot activated later to keep the price down now.

Spoke with my sales rep at Tesla and he confirmed that the P90D has the equivalent suspension to the old P85+. I am therefore going to go with the P90D, but am dropping the 21's and will get autopilot activated later to keep the price down now.

This is very good news. I'll be upgrading my P85 and had this same dilemma (90D vs P90D). Looks like I'll be ordering new or hopefully find an inventory model later this fall.

I'll definitely get the autopilot activated at some point. The great thing is that the hardware will be there to do it. I realize that it will cost me $500 more later, but I'm just trying to keep the purchase to a price that is not egregiously over my budget now.

I'll definitely get the autopilot activated at some point. The great thing is that the hardware will be there to do it. I realize that it will cost me $500 more later, but I'm just trying to keep the purchase to a price that is not egregiously over my budget now.

Less than $500. Supposedly there is no tax on activating it after the fact, whereas you pay 10% in LA of the $2,500 to activate it per-delivery.

So only $250 difference.