Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Questions on how to proceed after accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

last night I was coming back home from the gym and while pulling in my driveway I lost control of the car (driveway is packed with snow/ice) and I hit the fence. It was a low speed impact but the damage seems to be pretty involving.

The car is a 2015 Model S 70D with 99'000 miles (Pano roof and autopilot).
I've attached some photos.

Steering wheel works, however a piece of the small radiator in the photo is touching the tire, I had to pull it forward to free up the tire. Steering wheel is offset 15-20 degrees to the left.

on the dashboard I have the following messages:
- Stability Control Disabled
- Park Assist Disabled
- Cruise Control Disabled
- Traction Control Disabled
- Automatic Emergency Breaking Disabled

My insurance directed me to a local body shop for an estimate and repair (i've the appointment monday morning) that also happen to be a Tesla certified body shop.

I would like to get more information/feedback on:
- what to expect during the repair process
- is it repairable or total loss?
- Will the body shop take care of body repair and software/autopilot/various sensors calibration?
- Would tesla consider a trade in for a Model 3/S/X?

I can take an additional specific photo as needed.

Thanks for your help.
IMG_2545.jpg
IMG_2546.jpg
IMG_2547.jpg
IMG_2548.jpg

...- is it repairable or total loss?..

It doesn't look that bad but insurance might declare total loss if the body shop estimate is too high.

...software/autopilot/various sensors calibration?...

You'll need to take to Service Center after body shop repairs for re-calibration (with extra cost of course.)

...- Would tesla consider a trade in for a Model 3/S/X?

I don't think Tesla would take in a damaged car as is.

It might take in after you fix it but I am not sure about its value.

I have seen cars a lot worse than that get repaired and turn out just fine. I would think its best to stick with a Tesla certified body shop. Others might disagree, but that's what I would do if it were mine.

Sorry to see/hear. Extended/late winters this year it seems.
Most of your errors are stemming from parking sensors that are probably broken or had their wiring snapped so I certainly don’t think this is a total loss. There’s def one missing/sheared off that I can see. Also, the radiator looks to be in-tact. Only the radiator support post looks bent. Good luck!