Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Rear Tint Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to get my Model 3 tinted and the shop I’m going to (TintFX in Vienna, VA) told me the only option available to get the rear window done in one piece is 3M Color Stable. Problem is I want to go with 3M Crystalline, which the shop told me they could do in 2 pieces. Not the end of the world but not ideal.

Any vendors/installers/owners out there that could speak to the validity of this? Is it just this shop’s preference/experience level or does the Crystalline film actually not come in a piece that big?

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you contact 3M directly and ask them this question. My guess is that the particular shop doesn't carry the Crystaline in the larger size roll that a one-piece install requires. 3M can probably direct you to a factory authorized vendor who can do the job. I had Xpel ceramic installed in one piece at my local shop with no issues.

I was originally going to have mine done with Suntek but when I got the car back they told me they used 3M ceramic instead. We got to talking about Crystalline and he mentioned something about the tint supplier wanting him to take some instructional course that shows how to properly deal with application and shrinkage. Maybe it’s not the size of the roll but the shop’s ability to properly do it in one piece using Cryatalline?

About to get my Model 3 tinted and the shop I’m going to (TintFX in Vienna, VA) told me the only option available to get the rear window done in one piece is 3M Color Stable. Problem is I want to go with 3M Crystalline, which the shop told me they could do in 2 pieces. Not the end of the world but not ideal.

Any vendors/installers/owners out there that could speak to the validity of this? Is it just this shop’s preference/experience level or does the Crystalline film actually not come in a piece that big?

Thanks in advance.
What did you end up doing?

What did you end up doi
What did you end up doing?
Reluctantly, the 2-piece. Never did get confirmation if that was the only option or not so who knows. The good thing was, it turned out good and you can’t even tell there’s 2 pieces. Wish I could say the same for the rest of the job though, would NOT recommend Tint FX in Vienna, VA. Would be happy to provide details if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance.

Its the shops preference. They dont buy the larger size roll to do it in one piece. I only know this because I have been going to the same tint shop for like 18 years, and I just took my wifes Model Y in for tinting. Same owners, etc. We chatted about tesla tint and he told me about the size of the roll needed for "1 piece" on a model 3 back window is a different (more expensive) roll, that many shops dont stock.

Edit: I see this is a necro rezzed thread, but I am going to still hit "post reply" on this reply because its still relevant even though the OP has long since gotten tint.

Reluctantly, the 2-piece. Never did get confirmation if that was the only option or not so who knows. The good thing was, it turned out good and you can’t even tell there’s 2 pieces. Wish I could say the same for the rest of the job though, would NOT recommend Tint FX in Vienna, VA. Would be happy to provide details if anyone is interested.
Yes, I would like details please!

Yes, details please! I was actually considering this shop for my tint.