Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help saving a friend from buying a Porsche Taycan in Raleigh, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend is looking buy a Porsche Taycan 4S in Raleigh, NC from Porsche Southpoint.

He is going to drop $124k for a loaner 4S, 12.5k miles, 25 month warranty left.
Battery has 93kw, 227 mile EPA at best when new.
3.8 sec 0-60.
They even told him he could get the rebate, which I think is bull.

Any way, I need to convince him to order the Plaid, ASAP.

Can someone in Raliegh- Durham, please, let him drive the plaid and save a soul.

Please drop me a text or call.
Pinny
321-3636757

A friend is looking buy a Porsche Taycan 4S in Raleigh, NC from Porsche Southpoint.

He is going to drop $124k for a loaner 4S, 12.5k miles, 25 month warranty left.
Battery has 93kw, 227 mile EPA at best when new.
3.8 sec 0-60.
They even told him he could get the rebate, which I think is bull.

Any way, I need to convince him to order the Plaid, ASAP.

Can someone in Raliegh- Durham, please, let him drive the plaid and save a soul.

Please drop me a text or call.
Pinny
321-3636757

Unless its your 124k and not your friends, there doesnt need to be any "saving" or "convincing" here. This is one of those "hot button" issues for me, as if other people need to be convinced, or even "saved" as is said in the OP thread title on a car purchase. There are plenty of reasons someone might want a taycan over a tesla, even a plaid, and if they have 124k to spend, they have done well enough for themselves to make that decision... for themselves.

Maybe you are all right, or maybe he needs to actually test the options.
Wonderful to get your advice.
But I still think that 396 mile range vs 227 at best, 2 sec 0-60 vs 3.8, 2020 vs 2022, super charger, FSD option and 2 more years of Warranty, for a daily drive, for a guy that drives 200-300 per day, at same price, is a no brainer, thank you very much.

• Disagree
Reactions: montanaco
But I still think that 396 mile range vs 227 at best, 2 sec 0-60 vs 3.8, 2020 vs 2022, super charger, FSD option and 2 more years of Warranty, for a daily drive, for a guy that drives 200-300 per day, at same price, is a no brainer, thank you very much.
I hope you don’t actually think 396 miles in a plaid is realistic.

Then you should buy the Taycan, I will still try to put him behind a plaid yoke and let him decide along with obvious specs...

And possibly put your friendship on the line, if "something" goes wrong with the tesla? Sharing info is one thing, but thats not what you said. You said "help, I need to save him". If you are using that sort of hard sell on a friend, then the car ends up having issues (like some of the people who have purchased plaid model S have, are you then going to refund their money? (rhetorical question, if you were willing to do that, you would simply buy the car for your friend).

Share the specs, sure, dont push anyone toward anything unless YOU want to be fully responsible for it, and hear about it EVERY SINGLE TIME there is any issue with the car, or anything else you recommended. No car is worth that.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
That range comparison is misleading.

The plaid is rated 396 miles with the 19” wheels, on the 21s it’s only 348. The Taycan range is severely underrated, there was only a 22 mile difference in the Edmunds range test between the 2020 Taycan 4S and the Plaid with the 21s. Other real world range tests showed similar results.

If he literally drives 300 miles a day he shouldn’t buy an electric. He won’t even get max performance when the battery gets below 50% which he will be at half of his day. Does he want to sit at a charger for 40 minutes every day?

Used Panamera Turbo E plug in hybrid is a better choice in that price range. I mean I don’t know….. super fast and fuel efficient if that is a primary motivator. For very frequent long trips I’m still not sold on an electric. If the plaid can really get 400 mile range in chill mode maybe that’s a good choice. 200 mile Taycan no way.

I’d rather have the Taycan personally.

Wow, I am shocked.
I thought this was a Tesla forum.
Notice what I asked for...
A Raleigh Tesla owner to let an EV wannabe test their Tesla.
What did I get... a bunch of smart advice to let an uneducated in the matter friend do what ever he wants.
That Taycan has a little bit more range than 227, that Porsche are great cars, that Tesla will have problems, will depreciate faster, that 396 is probably 370 and that 19" has better range.
Wow, I am impressed with all this info, but I just asked for help to introduce the car since I believe Tesla don't do test drives yet.

Any one?

I probably had 200-300 people drive my car over 6 years, between friends, Strangers and Customers.
I enjoy letting others experience the car. I enjoy hearing how it made their day, their week, how they never expected, blown away.
Planting seeds, exposing them to new options.
I thought most Tesla owners do the same.

These kinds of threads, in any kind of forum always crack me up.

OP: Hey I need help with this what do you think?

Posters: Well we think you’re asking the wrong question.

Some other posters: We think you’re wrong.

OP: Hey can you just give me the answer that I want and nothing else? I don’t need any tangent, like anyone would normally have in an actual, casual, conversation, just agree with me and give me the answer that I want to hear.

LOL deep breaths.

You asked people to help convince your “friend” to get a Plaid, and share their car for a test drive. You could have just left the rest out about the Porsche and convincing and just said:

“Hey does anyone have a Plaid in North or South Carolina that would be willing to let a friend and I check out this car, maybe test drive it before they order?”

Short, sweet, and to the point. No back story, No discussion on what the Plaid is going to be used for, or that it’s being cross shopped.

You didn’t however ask it that way did you. You had to bring Porsche into it, and later the fact it will be used for driving 300 miles every day, so you’re going to run the risk of getting additional feedback.

I would say it’s good feedback about picking the right tool for the job and helping your “friend” make the right decision, weigh all options, something you probably should be doing for this “friend” if he or she is a “friend.” That way they don’t regret making a $140,000 purchase.

This is exactly the kind of feedback you want from a Tesla forum. Honest, thought out, level headed non fan boy bias.

Is a Plaid or a Taycan really the best car for a 300 mile per day commuter? Mmmmm my option is no. Sorry.

Wow, I am shocked.
I thought this was a Tesla forum.
Notice what I asked for...
A Raleigh Tesla owner to let an EV wannabe test their Tesla.
What did I get... a bunch of smart advice to let an uneducated in the matter friend do what ever he wants.
That Taycan has a little bit more range than 227, that Porsche are great cars, that Tesla will have problems, will depreciate faster, that 396 is probably 370 and that 19" has better range.
Wow, I am impressed with all this info, but I just asked for help to introduce the car since I believe Tesla don't do test drives yet.

Any one?

I probably had 200-300 people drive my car over 6 years, between friends, Strangers and Customers.
I enjoy letting others experience the car. I enjoy hearing how it made their day, their week, how they never expected, blown away.
Planting seeds, exposing them to new options.
I thought most Tesla owners do the same.
Last time I was at Southpoint the Porsche dealer HAD a Plaid someone had traded on a Taycan.
Regardless, just lay out the facts for him. It’s no big deal. Someone with the cabbage to drop $120K plus on something they’re going to use up quickly at 300 miles a day has the resources to flip the thing and buy a plaid whenever he realizes the mistake. And if they have that kind of income they should be a good decision maker.
But all this raises lot of questions, the first being who spends that kind of money on a heavy-miles commute car?
does he have a plan for daily mid commute charging for the Porsche?

And here's the TMC thread about that article (if you the OP hasn't already found it...):