Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help saving a friend from buying a Porsche Taycan in Raleigh, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you please share your experience, reasons, circumstances?

Sure. I've had a 2016 facelift 75D for about 2 years now.

Before getting one I was the biggest Tesla fan but after actually living with one I couldn't ever be happy with their overall build quality, poor design choices, missing features which are present in much less expensive cars (proper blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alerts, proper rain sensor).

I absolutely hate that the Model S has a lot of cabin noise from the wind and tires (see comment about build quality above).

I thought I'd get used to the interior and while the large center screen is cool, I hate the drive selector and I hate there's not center console with buttons. I don't like the steering feeling, besides going straight fast, there's nothing good about it.

The LED headlights in the facelift Model S (mid 2016 - present) are one of the worst performing in the whole market. The beam pattern is all over the place, it's like driving with two disco balls.

Looking closely at all the bits and pieces, fit and finish - I swear there's nothing made with good quality materials or any thought and attention to details.

Lastly the worse and worse customer service Tesla has. It's a pure gamble if you find a service center which will solve your issue or make it worse.

Having all this said, I will keep an eye on Tesla and it's possible the newer 3s and Ys are somewhat better but I wouldn't have too high hopes for now.

I am going to miss Autopilot and straight line acceleration, but when I got in a Porsche for the first time for my drive test, I could not believe how solid it felt and how impressive the build quality was. I actually opened and closed the door a few times, the sales guy wasn't sure what I was doing - it just sounded so nice.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

Before getting one I was the biggest Tesla fan but after actually living with one I couldn't ever be happy with their overall build quality, poor design choices, missing features which are present in much less expensive cars (proper blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alerts, proper rain sensor).

I absolutely hate that the Model S has a lot of cabin noise from the wind and tires (see comment about build quality above).

I thought I'd get used to the interior and while the large center screen is cool, I hate the drive selector and I hate there's not center console with buttons. I don't like the steering feeling, besides going straight fast, there's nothing good about it.

The LED headlights in the facelift Model S (mid 2016 - present) are one of the worst performing in the whole market. The beam pattern is all over the place, it's like driving with two disco balls.

Looking closely at all the bits and pieces, fit and finish - I swear there's nothing made with good quality materials or any thought and attention to details.

Lastly the worse and worse customer service Tesla has. It's a pure gamble if you find a service center which will solve your issue or make it worse.

Having all this said, I will keep an eye on Tesla and it's possible the newer 3s and Ys are somewhat better but I wouldn't have too high hopes for now.

I am going to miss Autopilot and straight line acceleration, but when I got in a Porsche for the first time for my drive test, I could not believe how solid it felt and how impressive the build quality was. I actually opened and closed the door a few times, the sales guy wasn't sure what I was doing - it just sounded so nice.
Thank you for an honest, detailed response.
All make sense.
There is absolutely no doubt, moving forward, some companies are going to make better EV cars than Tesla, at least in some aspects as you mentioned.

Maybe not in price and volume, but I am excited about the future Tesla forced on other companies.

I did experience Tesla's Terrible Customer Service, and slow Supply chain.
Personally, I was never bothered by quality, probably because I never owned a high end car before.
Enjoy your Taycan.

And here are a couple videos of high end car owners giggiing over the plaid and like the interior quality improvements of the Model S refresh. And then a video of a Taycan Turbo S owner buying a plaid. So yeah…. Goes both ways.

Now granted, if plush is a person’s priority over performance, then go with a Taycan or better yet, lucid.

And here are a couple videos of high end car owners giggiing over the plaid and like the interior quality improvements of the Model S refresh. And then a video of a Taycan Turbo S owner buying a plaid. So yeah…. Goes both ways.

Now granted, if plush is a person’s priority over performance, then go with a Taycan or better yet, lucid.

Agree, personally, I am excited by Technology, performance, practicality and usability. Each to there own preferences.

Reactions: SO16
Wow, I am shocked.
I thought this was a Tesla forum.
Notice what I asked for...
A Raleigh Tesla owner to let an EV wannabe test their Tesla.
What did I get... a bunch of smart advice to let an uneducated in the matter friend do what ever he wants.
That Taycan has a little bit more range than 227, that Porsche are great cars, that Tesla will have problems, will depreciate faster, that 396 is probably 370 and that 19" has better range.
Wow, I am impressed with all this info, but I just asked for help to introduce the car since I believe Tesla don't do test drives yet.

Any one?

I probably had 200-300 people drive my car over 6 years, between friends, Strangers and Customers.
I enjoy letting others experience the car. I enjoy hearing how it made their day, their week, how they never expected, blown away.
Planting seeds, exposing them to new options.
I thought most Tesla owners do the same.

This has to be a parody post, right? No one is this controlling of a "friend's" ~$100k purchase.

6 years = 72 months
200 people / 72 months = 2.77 people per month
300 people / 72 months = 4.17 people per month (one a week)

You're letting one new person a week drive your car? Did you tell your insurance company?

Reactions: AMPd
I just saw a gorgeous dark purple Taycan charging at the Vince Lombardi rest area. That’s quite the looker for sure, and I can totally see why it’s a desirable vehicle. Despite the lower range and performance compared to a Plaid. I say let your friend make his own decisions and just be happy for him in whatever he chooses.

Reactions: AMPd and cucubits
I just saw a gorgeous dark purple Taycan charging at the Vince Lombardi rest area. That’s quite the looker for sure, and I can totally see why it’s a desirable vehicle. Despite the lower range and performance compared to a Plaid. I say let your friend make his own decisions and just be happy for him in whatever he chooses.
It looks like a retro Ford Thunderbird squinting 🤮

Also Porsche models have a history of appreciating in value. Their EVs are too new to predict if they will follow that trend but it’s not unheard of, and I have close friends that have made money when they’ve sold their Porsche.
Most Porsche vehicles are definitely not appreciating in value... especially their EV's. As a long-time Porsche owner and PCA member, I can confirm that only their very limited special production and early air-cooled cars will increase in value over time... 918, GT2/3, and early 356/911. The last 25 years of mainstream production have experienced significant depreciation and poor resale value with the recent exception of the Covid bubble. YMMV ;)

Last edited:
Most Porsche vehicles are definitely not appreciating in value... especially their EV's. As a long-time Porsche owner and PCA member, I can confirm that only their very limited special production and early air-cooled cars will increase in value over time... 918, GT2/3, and early 356/911. The last 25 years of mainstream production have experienced significant depreciation and poor resale value with the recent exception of the Covid bubble. YMMV ;)
Plenty of Boxster, Cayenne and Cayman on OfferUp and in the ghetto.

In the last 10 years I’ve owned 4 Porsches and 2 Teslas. I currently drive a S P100D and have a Plaid on order
If Porsche had an EV with similar specs across the board (similar interior room, driving specs, range, ability to road trip anywhere with a good charging network; everything) and was a similar price point, I’d HANDS DOWN own the Porsche. Quality is for sure better, but there’s just a “feel” that comes with driving most Porsches that’s hard to explain if you haven’t owned one for a decent amount of time.
For now, I’ll take the Plaid because the straight line performance is out of this world and Tesla is still ahead of all EV competition in general, but as the other manufacturers catch up with the EV game, Tesla WILL be rapidly passed in the market because their customer service is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, the service centers are a JOKE, the quality is NOT there, and they are not even close to being legit with many of their promises and claims.

I owned a Taycan turbo S.. the fit and finish was nice compared to a Tesla. I actually made them buy it back.
Tell your friend to try out the electronics inside the vehicle they are horrible the layout is terrible the streaming radio doesn't work Apple music doesn't play correctly icons appear and disappear and Porsches answer is we don't know what to do.
I know what to do I told him to take the car back or we'd be in court.
Just my two cents it was a beautiful car lot of beautiful features fit and finish was beautiful interior electronics and infotainment system was designed by a child and kindergarten with a crayon

This has to be a parody post, right? No one is this controlling of a "friend's" ~$100k purchase.

6 years = 72 months
200 people / 72 months = 2.77 people per month
300 people / 72 months = 4.17 people per month (one a week)

You're letting one new person a week drive your car? Did you tell your insurance company?
I guess It is my first "controversial" post.
I will ignore your tone and answer as if we are just 2 guys exchanging words.

1. No, it is not a parody, but it does seem my original post was blown out of proportion.
I am a very passionate proponent of Tesla, both Car and even more stock.
I spend a lot of time spreading knowledge and experience Tesla and EV, I guess I truly see it as a mission.
The smile and the joy you get from letting a new 17 year old driver, an employee, a friend and nearly every one I meet, to drive the car is priceless, and it plants curiosity for Investing and considering EV.

2. I don't control anybody, but I am obsessed to present people facts and experience before making a choice.
In this specific case, as I repeatedly mentioned, he needs a daily driver that could cross 200 miles per day.

3. I also rent my car on Turo and have about 200 hits on my belt, add another 100-200 to that of friends, family and strangers.
To your question, No, my insurance company has no idea, nor should they have. I will even add that my wife doesn't know either and neither does my mom.

I don't know you at all, but this response of yours attempting to doubt, and mock my passion to sharing the driving experience and the knowledge of Tesla, is embarrassing.

Feel free to buy yourself a $100k car and never let anybody drive it, because it is yours and only yours. It is your right.

I understand most people are like that.

I am not. I was probably naive to think there are still many owners who would love to allow others to drive their car and spread the word.
I actually kind of thought Tesla owners were contracted to do so, as the only marketing for Tesla.😂

Thank you for your feedback on this. It's hard to argue with the fit and finish, - Tesla has such a long way to go, it's hilarious. Now, some people may not even notice it or just ignore it on the Teslas, but it's 100% an issue. Now, I picked the Plaid over the Turbo S for many reasons, but it wasn't build quality. The Plaid is phenomenally fun to drive, but the Taycan Turbo S is a great car, too. For me, the Turbo S is too slow (I know, how easily we've been spoiled!) compared to the Plaid, the 2-speed transmission is NOTICEABLE and not in a good way, and it's just not as practical a daily driver, with far less interior space, legroom, trunk room etc - in every metric. The Taycan is for those who want a 911 feel in a more practical body shape, but it's not in the same league of practicality as a Model S.

Now, I'd never try and dissuade anyone from getting a Taycan. It's not for me, but it's a great car. I've also no doubt Porsche has much better service.

Having owned both a Tesla and a Taycan, the Tesla is the better EV, the Taycan is the better car.

The Taycan will be much more enjoyable as a daily driver. It's just a nicer car all around. But if he is seriously driving long distances all the time, then the charging network (not the range) would be a serious consideration. I would tell him to save his money and buy the Model S LR over the Plaid however. The Plaid performance isn't worth it unless you just have to have the acceleration.

Just to stir the pot, I'll throw out another suggestion. Why not a Lucid Air Grand Touring? About the same price as the Taycan and Plaid ($139k) but even more range, luxury, acceleration, and charging speed. 😬

Edit: We should all just be happy your friend is buying an EV. That's the end goal.

Last edited: