Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! Shipped my Model 3 to the UK from States, Can't get Tesla Service Here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before moving to the U.K. in October, I checked with Tesla customer service in the States to make sure that my 2018 Model 3 would be operable, and able to be serviced, in the U.K.. I was told that I would have no problems getting service for the vehicle, including modifications (e.g., cell radio changed to U.K. carrier) necessary to use it here.

It turns out that this is not the case. The Model 3 is in the car park at my apartment complex. The Tesla service center for London will not touch it. I'm not sure how I will be able to register the car, as at least some of the modifications required to pass inspection (e.g., adjusting turn signal frequency) will require software adjustments.

I assume I'm not the first person to bring a Tesla over from the States. Does anyone (ideally someone who has done so) know how to get a Model 3 U.K. modified so that it can be registered here?

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000
Probably cheaper to have it shipped back and sell it over there than deal with it. It won't have maps, you can't charge it, there's no warranty or support.. and that's before the cost of making it road legal here.

There was one a few months ago where the owner had been desparately trying to sell it and not getting anywhere.

Isnt the steering wheel on the wrong side, Thought the UK had some rule that the car could only be in the country for so long then it wasn't legal unless it was converted over. Probably more so now because of that word that starts with B. Or I could be wrong and this rule was from when I was living in Australia and was looking at shipping a Corvette across from LA to Melbourne.

Isnt the steering wheel on the wrong side, Thought the UK had some rule that the car could only be in the country for so long then it wasn't legal unless it was converted over. Probably more so now because of that word that starts with B. Or I could be wrong and this rule was from when I was living in Australia and was looking at shipping a Corvette across from LA to Melbourne.
LHD's are legal in the UK. Just a niche market and valuation lower as a result. LHD's are usually speciality in some regard.

Reactions: skippyinspace
Before moving to the U.K. in October, I checked with Tesla customer service in the States to make sure that my 2018 Model 3 would be operable, and able to be serviced, in the U.K.. I was told that I would have no problems getting service for the vehicle, including modifications (e.g., cell radio changed to U.K. carrier) necessary to use it here.

Told in writing, perhaps?

I brought a car to the UK when I moved here (from USA) 20 years ago. It required only a bit of modification (rear fog light, perhaps?). But a Tesla seems a bit of a stretch...

Good luck getting it sorted.

Curious as to why you would ship one over instead of selling and rebuying here?

Sorry to hear your troubles - particularly frustrating given Tesla told you it would be fine...
The common reason is temporary military/gov placement/transfer.

Charging: surely you just need the right socket combination for the UMC. Agree Supercharging & rapids will be an issue without a new charge port.

Pretty poor for an American company to not even try and help. Where there is a will there is often a way.

I know it's extreme but as somone suggested, seriously send it back (or sell it for parts). Getting all that sorted will be a nightmare. And if Tesla won't do it maybe impossible. Charging will be a PITTA. The wheel is on the wrong side and if you come to sell it no one will want it. I know they cost more over here on paper but when you take all that into account its just not gonna be worth it.

I'd say send it back and sell it, if only for the sole reason that your warranty will only be valid in the US/Canada region (check the small print) so even if you get Tesla to agree to touch it they'll charge a fortune for any issues you have.

I assume you don't have an EU conformity certificate for the car either, which may cause you problems (or at least be expensive) with trying to get it registered as an imported vehicle with DVLA.

I remember someone in the past mentioning Supercharging is locked out. Even if you can acquire an adapter to convert the UK supercharger connections to the tesla US plug I would assume that the system will realise it's not an EU car and just not charge. That's before you look at the need to convert the charge port to CCS/Type2 if you want to be able to use any public chargers in the UK (or commission a custom cable if that's even possible).

What an incredibly frustrating situation.
I’m really sorry that I don’t have a solution for you but just wanted to thank you for sharing your misfortune with us.
To me, it further reinforces the lesson than what Tesla says is never to be trusted, even if they put it down in writing.
It’s a shame, but they really at the top of the list of unreliable companies that I should avoid if possible.
(They make such damned good cars, though!)

May be worth seeing if @BoouLookOn has got any suggestions. Opposite problem of OP but still some experience of moving vehicle between regions. They have not been on TMC for a while though. Also, iirc someone on main forum a year or so ago wanting to send car to Germany whilst on service there.

and their follow up

I figured you’ve got the doomsday message now. To be a bit more constructive it might be worth breaking down the problem and exploring it. If you put the warranty aside surely this has to be ‘possible’ at a price and with some hassle and with an uncertain outcome. Using a Tesla approved garage won’t be cheap but you might keep your warranty and get away with a few relatively minor (and reversible) changes.

Hardware: if Tesla won’t do it, there are independent Tesla approved garages with access to parts and presumably some degree of software / config access. I would try to find and ask a couple of them. Light cluster & charge & port can’t be too hard to do. What else is there? Ask here for names- Tesla do have repair shops listed on their website. Or look for companies converting old ICE cars from Tesla wrecks. With ICE you wouldn’t change to RHD: even with the M3 I’d say way too much work. Steering, pedals, centre console=A/C. Forget that.

Plenty of people here have had a charge port replaced and light clusters replaced could give you a UK part number. On eBay there are USA charge ports for sale from UK used parts suppliers: suggests someone has been down this path before you. If it’s just the harness the job might not be too bad at all. Other indicators would be the model S CCS upgrade cost out of warranty - sure I saw someone here got quoted something like £2k from Tesla.

Software: Changing the car region in software. Might be harder/don’t bother? Tweet @greentheonly to see if he would give you a steer on feasibility?
Does the USA SIM roam /work?

Documentation/process: The DVLA’s IVA process, manuals and costs are all on the gov website. Looks straight forward for a car model they sell here too. Price seems fair (without trying to work out the band £200 to £400). Someone here must surely have imported a car before. I’d try and get the original USA declaration of conformity for the car, might help with things like crumple zones standards etc- things they can’t visually inspect.

Please do report back on what you decide/ where you get to.

Parts Replaced or Added

LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE, RH(1077400-00-B) 1.0

LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE, LH(1077399-00-C)

eBay prices are interesting from lights that have probably been replaced because of condensation.

Above are the UK 2021 outer clusters-check https://epc.tesla.com usual Tesla credentials to see if yours are the same.

Can anyone pull an invoice for inner clusters and front lights to help the guy?