Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP!!!! Should I buy this used S75D from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read that people have seen some improvements in the numbers when they charge to 100% and run it down (like 2%) then charge back up again. I did this once and got it to like 237 miles. I'll try again and see if it's any better.

2016 75D
59,000 mi
with 21's

I’ve decided to do everything wrong so I get off to a terrible start in this forum.

Haven’t read the forum rules...in my defense I’ve been trying to quit a number of bad habits so cut me a break ffs! (I’ve limited it to huffing)

Can someone give me pros/cons on this puppy (specifically, is there a reason to stay away from 2017s and can this vehicle move to full self driving once released (see:huffing).

2017 Model S | Tesla

No. You should be able to get a used 100 pack Model S for under $50k. Some have sold already, so you may want to watch the market.

If you are set on a 75D, here are some better options - 2017 Model S | Tesla

This one has MCU2 already - 2018 Model S | Tesla

Those two do have accidents and were repaired. Probably a decent example of diminished value.
Chiming in to be a data point. I bought my 75D with prior accident/repair for $38.8k, and the next comparable car with clean history was $41k. I got mine end of last quarter, so maybe that's why the pricing was lower than current (just checked EV-CPO, the cheapest 75D available witih AP2 is $43.9k). I had a few issues, none of which I believe were related to the accident history, and they were rectified by my Service Center under warranty without issue. I did some homework via AutoCheck and CarFax first though, just to set my mind at ease about the accident history.

tl;dr: don't be afraid of previously repaired inventory cars in your shopping.

Reactions: EV-CPO
I was looking for a pre-owed Tesla and drove down to the Tesla facility where it was in Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm Beach area. They had a fenced-in facility and delivery center but would NOT even let me see the car! I thought that it was an extremely rude way to treat a prospective buyer!

On the other hand, the Jacksonville, FL service center is not gated. It’s easy to walk the shared parking lot and look at both new and pre-owned Teslas. The service staff there is extremely friendly.

So previewing the car greatly depends on the facility where the vehicle is located.

As to pre-owned vehicles that were damaged and repaired, the key issues are:
What was damaged?
Who did the repair?
How was it repaired?
What is your confidence in that repair?
How are you being compensated for diminished value? (You can be sure that you will receive less when you go to resell the car.)

I looked at a few pre-owned Model S, but ended up buying a new Model 3. It’s nice to have a new car, the newest technology and the Model 3 is holding value well. Of course everyone is entitled to their own preferences.

Good luck!

Thanks so much everyone! These comments have been hugely helpful!

I was able to test drive this particular car as I live right nearby. It was my first time driving a Tesla so I was in awe. The interior however was pretty bad and I think I might roll the dice on the 2018 someone else linked above.

Thanks again and much appreciated!

Thanks so much everyone! These comments have been hugely helpful!

I was able to test drive this particular car as I live right nearby. It was my first time driving a Tesla so I was in awe. The interior however was pretty bad and I think I might roll the dice on the 2018 someone else linked above.

Thanks again and much appreciated!
If the 2018 doesn't work out for you, we have a 2017 S75D (upgraded to MCU2) that we'll probably be listing soon.

This one has MCU2 already - 2018 Model S | Tesla

Noob question, but how can you tell that this 2018 has MCU2? I thought it had to be built after March 2018, so I'm unclear how to tell this from the used inventory listing.

I've also wondered if one could have MCU2 installed by Tesla prior to taking delivery. E.g. order a used 2017 model and pay the extra $1500 to have the upgrade performed prior to delivery.

Noob question, but how can you tell that this 2018 has MCU2? I thought it had to be built after March 2018, so I'm unclear how to tell this from the used inventory listing.

I've also wondered if one could have MCU2 installed by Tesla prior to taking delivery. E.g. order a used 2017 model and pay the extra $1500 to have the upgrade performed prior to delivery.
You can't really tell unless you see the manufacture date sticker or ask Tesla for date of manufacture. You are correct that they started using MCU2 in March 2018. All cars built before that date could be upgraded to MCU2 but they won't install it until after you've taken delivery of the car.

You can't really tell unless you see the manufacture date sticker or ask Tesla for date of manufacture. You are correct that they started using MCU2 in March 2018. All cars built before that date could be upgraded to MCU2 but they won't install it until after you've taken delivery of the car.

Tesla now lists "Infotainment Upgrade" on Used car listings. This indicates MCU2.

See this car for example - 2018 Model S | Tesla

Tesla now lists "Infotainment Upgrade" on Used car listings. This indicates MCU2.

See this car for example - 2018 Model S | Tesla

Now available as a 'Must Have' selection on EV-CPO.com.

upload_2021-2-15_17-20-6.png

Last edited:

Hold on - are you saying that I can test drive a used Tesla sold directly by Tesla? I constantly keep reading that this is not possible. I live near Burbank, so if the used car is listed at Burbank (instead of Lathrop for example) then I can test drive it? This is huge news for used-car shopping for me. I want to buy directly from Tesla because the FSD often is included, and an extra year of warranty.
Can somebody re-confirm that in the past 6 months they have test-driven a used Tesla vehicle? NOT a demo vehicle sold as new, but a used vehicle? Any info is appreciated, Thanks!