Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP!!!! Should I buy this used S75D from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve decided to do everything wrong so I get off to a terrible start in this forum.

Haven’t read the forum rules...in my defense I’ve been trying to quit a number of bad habits so cut me a break ffs! (I’ve limited it to huffing)

Can someone give me pros/cons on this puppy (specifically, is there a reason to stay away from 2017s and can this vehicle move to full self driving once released (see:huffing).

2017 Model S | Tesla

I would get a Model 3 LR AWD for $6,000 less, 100 more miles, quicker acceleration and the latest tech + build quality

You can't see pics of the cars on CPO anymore so it could be in great condition or terrible condition

Reactions: CO_MY
What you're looking at is almost identical to what I purchased about nine months ago, though mine is a 2016.5, came with supercharging, and the standard audio. The linked car is a bit less expensive than mine, but has a shorter warranty than what I got.

The M3 LR AWD configured as comparably as possible to the linked car is more expensive, since the linked car includes Full Self Driving, but the M3 AWD LR requires $10K more for FSD. I'm not sure about quicker (unless 4.2 seconds is faster on a M3 than the same 4.2 seconds on the MS 75D). The main computer on the M3 is better, but you can upgrade for $1500-$2000. You get heated seats on both, but I'm not sure about whether US M3s are shipping with heated steering wheels (the MS with SubZero has it); ditto on the power lift gate on the back.

Folks will differ about the merits of the interior design, though I think folks would agree that the MS is intended to be more premium. And, different folks will value the hatch vs trunk (MS vs. M3) differently.

The linked MS is $52,980 and a "comparable" M3 is $57,990 (noting that there are many things that can't be comparably configured).

Feel free to keep asking questions!

I’ve decided to do everything wrong so I get off to a terrible start in this forum.

Haven’t read the forum rules...in my defense I’ve been trying to quit a number of bad habits so cut me a break ffs! (I’ve limited it to huffing)

Can someone give me pros/cons on this puppy (specifically, is there a reason to stay away from 2017s and can this vehicle move to full self driving once released (see:huffing).

2017 Model S | Tesla

Most Tesla used cars are not worse than other used cars, in spite of what some people might say. (Forums like this have always been a magnet for the discontented.) But, the problem is you don't know till they get it to you. You can refuse delivery at that point, but may lose your deposit.

The model S is overall a way better design than the model 3. I've driven both. The air suspension even in a 2017 is superior to the suspension of a model 3 for just ride quality. But if you like racing around, the model 3 is better. I'm a fan of the model S not as much the 3. So you should take that into account.

The inclusion of full self driving is no small thing, and will grow in capability over time.

Does the vehicle meet your needs?
You are aware that Tesla used cars are worse than “used” cars as far as the condition of the vehicle is concerned.
I would get a Model 3 LR AWD for $6,000 less, 100 more miles, quicker acceleration and the latest tech + build quality

You can't see pics of the cars on CPO anymore so it could be in great condition or terrible condition
You can request the actual pics of the cars, however, they don't always tell the true story.

Our S75D can still charge to 236 miles with nearly 66k miles on it. The car mentioned above has less than 20k miles so I would expect it can probably still charge above 245 miles.

I can only get 220 miles with 65K on my 75D, but I usually only charge to 50% so it's possible my BMS is way off and there is no clear way to calibrate it.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
You might try driving it down to 10% or so and then charge it all the way up to 100% (or close to it) to see if that changes the estimated max charge range.

Yeah I did that fairly recently on a road trip but still got only around 220 miles. Would probably need to keep it charged up for a bit while it calibrates/balances. Or maybe my battery just sucks, who knows. 220 seems to be at the extremely low range of what most people with 75Ds are reporting.