Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Should I trade in a 2018 Model XP100D for a 2020 P3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model X P100D with a surprisingly reasonable trade in offer of $91k expires Feb 18. My concern is that with the looming changes to the S/X and Model Y nearing deliveries that the value for the X is going to drop dramatically over the next few months. Am I crazy to trade in now for a performance model 3 while I still have decent value?

Any prior X owners that trade in for a 3? Regrets?

Good question. The trade in value offer expires Feb 18, the last time I asked for an offer in Dec it was $13k less. I also need the second car in April. I doubt the Model Y will be available by then. I got a line on new performance model 3 that will be available in the next few weeks.

Good question. The trade in value offer expires Feb 18, the last time I asked for an offer in Dec it was $13k less. I also need the second car in April. I doubt the Model Y will be available by then. I got a line on new performance model 3 that will be available in the next few weeks.
Wonder why they’re bumping their offers on X all of a sudden. Makes me want to get my P3D+ evaluated (If it’s high enough I’ll make jump to PYD+.

Reactions: ICON
2018 Model X P100D with a surprisingly reasonable trade in offer of $91k expires Feb 18. My concern is that with the looming changes to the S/X and Model Y nearing deliveries that the value for the X is going to drop dramatically over the next few months. Am I crazy to trade in now for a performance model 3 while I still have decent value?

Any prior X owners that trade in for a 3? Regrets?

They gave me $75k trade in credit for my 2018 MX 75D couple weeks ago. Someone in TMC got $63k trade in number for same car as mine back in Sep 2018.

I don’t understand the thought process. Why did you buy the X in the first place?
it was a whim inventory fire sale when things were looking grim....I love the x but ready to leverage to newer and better(raven/suspension/interior). the thought was to start with the 3 based on availability and presumed better resale then hold on for the expected model x/s refresh.

what did you trade in for? a new x or model 3?
I did trade-in for a new X. But after seeing improved range on MY, I changed my mind and ordered a MY instead. M3 and MY are priced right IMHO. NJ now has $5K tax credit for M3 and MY + no tax.

I feel there is a pretty good chance S/X will get interior updates along with bigger battery and 3 motors towards end of Q3 this year. And if CT price is any indication, price of S/X with bigger battery will be either same or less, not more. And when (not if) this happens, my car's (2018 MX 75D) value will take even bigger hit. And so I am trading in.

Last edited:
Makes no sense to go from a Model X to a Model 3, it all depends on what you need. If you need a bigger vehicle but the Model X is too big the Model Y (due imminently) is a better option. If you need the size of a Model X then keep it, why waste money on depreciation? If a Model 3 fits that size of vehicle you need then go for it, it's much cheaper. I would have bought a Model Y if it was available 2 years ago but went with the Model 3 (replacing a Toyota Tacoma that was 20 years old) as the size fits what I need but I would have liked a Model Y better (more space would be better but the 3 fits what I need) and a Model X was way beyond my budget. The Model X is a cool vehicle and if I had one I'd keep it unless finances forced me to get rid of it.

Reactions: ICON
We have a P3D Stealth and a 2018 P100D X. Driving the X is so much nicer, comfort wise. The 3 is great for zipping around, but i prefer the X honestly. The X is amazing. Both are great though. But X wins. Performance is almost identical when in Ludicrous with X and Sport with 3.

Reactions: KMMM