Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! software update fails and car does not turn on afterwards, have to do a hard reset. Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I have my MX for about 11 months now. No big problems except for a software update back on August 2nd. This caused me to have firmware issues with park assist unavailable, and the front passenger safety restraints error messages which has been happening on and off now for about 2 months. Now even a bigger problem, my car says it has an update, but when i got an update it fails at around 30%. I entered the car after it failed, and the car would not turn on, I tried, soft reset via steering wheel, I tried a remote start, no luck, i called roadside, and they showed me how to do a hard reset via wheel configuration, which worked. Came back in tried the software update again failed. Went out to the garage got in the car, and again would not turn on. The infotainment, and the dash come on but it says car off. Did a hard reset again which did work and was able to turn the car on. Did not touch the software update again. i have mobile service coming out on Tuesday to take a look. Interesting thing now is that when I get into the car the infotainment is on right away and there is a delay in the front dash screen that comes on and it flickers when it comes on. Does anyone have any thoughts on this one?

They might have to force an update or force it to reinstall an old one. I’d just sit tight since they are coming out.

something similar happened once to me and they were able to fix it remotely and I had to wait for another update and that update came in and went smooth.

One thing to try is unplug dash cam drive if you have one and reboot. Dash cam can cause all sorts of problems since it’s release and to this day it’s flaky.

The hardest “reboot” I know is changing tire size and back in service menu. But you risk getting stranded in your situation. So it’s your call if you want to try it.

They might have to force an update or force it to reinstall an old one. I’d just sit tight since they are coming out.

something similar happened once to me and they were able to fix it remotely and I had to wait for another update and that update came in and went smooth.

One thing to try is unplug dash cam drive if you have one and reboot. Dash cam can cause all sorts of problems since it’s release and to this day it’s flaky.

The hardest “reboot” I know is changing tire size and back in service menu. But you risk getting stranded in your situation. So it’s your call if you want to try it.
actually called roadside assistance and they walked me through the hard reset with the wheel configuration. It worked but then I went to try the software update again and the car would not turn on again. I did the hard reset again myself and now I am not touching the software update until they come out on tuesday. But speaking of the dash cam it would not come up yesterday. Tried formatting the usb, nothing. Finally i took it out, put it back and it came back up. Something is for sure not right.

actually called roadside assistance and they walked me through the hard reset with the wheel configuration. It worked but then I went to try the software update again and the car would not turn on again. I did the hard reset again myself and now I am not touching the software update until they come out on tuesday. But speaking of the dash cam it would not come up yesterday. Tried formatting the usb, nothing. Finally i took it out, put it back and it came back up. Something is for sure not right.

You asked for advice then say you're not touching it until they come out. Then why for folks thoughts?

Changing tire size WILL trigger a DEEPER reboot than holding the thumb wheels !!

Try it. Might not fix your issue. But the two thumb wheel reset mostly just reboots the MCU. Changing tire size reboots much more. Probably not as much as disconnecting the battery though. You'll hear fans stop and relays clunk when you change tire size. Sometimes I do this (Tire Size change reboot) before or after an update. I also sometimes remove USB drive during updates. The USB DashCam is buggy for everyone. I run with split partition for USB music as well.

Someone that was really stuck, said the tire size change reboot did get them out of Jam :)

Do the reboots with USB drive removed.

In then end, I think the fix will be they will remove the pending update.

Reactions: gaswalla