TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help! Strange intermittent warbling sound from head-unit ...

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by eugenel, Oct 27, 2014.

1. eugenel

eugenel Member

#1 eugenel, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Hello,

I'm getting a very strange sort of warbling sounds that appears related to my Roadster's Alpine head unit. You can listen to it here, recorded in my dashcam:

At first, I thought it was my dashcam, but it isn't. If I select FM radio on the head-unit and re-tune, the warbling is briefly interrupted, until the new station is found. Then it comes back. And it continues for different times, almost as if it is picking up interference from somewhere.

To aid me in debugging this, has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way I can simply switch off the head-unit when this problem occurs, so as to be sure it is responsible.

It's a real PITA, as you can imagine!

Eugene :redface:

2. jnordeng

jnordeng Member

There is a speed camera close by, not necessary on the road or direction you are going:cursing:
    You can turn it off or turn down the volume in the navigation menu.

3. eugenel

eugenel Member

Cheers. Tesla UK concur. I've switched said warnings off, so fingers crossed!

4. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Huh, the alpine unit has a radar sensor? How do I turn it on?

5. eugenel

eugenel Member

It doesn't have a radar sensor. It has a GPS and a map with speed camera locations marked ...