TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HELP: Stuck at a supercharger and the car won't charge

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Brandon332, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Brandon332

Brandon332 Member

Hey guys, I need help. At a supercharger with 5 other people needing to come back from a road trip. 8 Miles to empty and the car isn't supercharging. The light on the charge port is green and blinking fast. The dash says "supercharging, 1 hour left" but it has been at 8 miles remaining for almost a half hour. It says charging at a rate of 3 miles per hour, voltage is high but amps are at 0. It's weird, the amps will rise from 0 to about 35 quickly, stay for a second then go back down to 0. I tried other stations at this charger and other people were here so it isn't the location. Thoughts? HELP PLZ :)

Attached Files:

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
  2. CaliX

CaliX Member

Did you call Tesla?

3. Brandon332

Brandon332 Member

Call is on hold.

4. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Phone Tesla Roadside Assistance for help 1- 877 - 798-3752

5. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

are others there able to charge? try moving to another charger

6. Brandon332

Brandon332 Member

Yeah others are able to. I moved around. Tesla is going to take care of us, but any thoughts on what is happening?

7. systemcrashed

you might have discharged too low, leave it plugged in and let it try to ramp up slowly.

8. Brandon332

Brandon332 Member

Is this how it works? If the miles to empty is very low, it will take extra time to start up? And it usually takes a half hour?

9. systemcrashed

seems like there is a current, keep it plugged in until Tesla lets you know what to do further.

10. Zextraterrestrial

no.
    unless your car is very frozen (cold)

11. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Usually the opposite, when the miles are low it ramps up pretty quickly. Make sure there is no debris lodged in the charge port.

• Like x 1
  12. systemcrashed

Sometimes I don't push the charger plug in hard enough, it latches but does not charge. Make sure there isn't anything lodged in the plug or your charger port I.e. Insects, dirt.

13. Scrith

Scrith Member

Sometimes one of the chargers is just broken or partially operating. I had this happen to me in Fountain Valley, CA recently (the charger I was using would consistently shut off after 1-5 minutes on each of my 10+ attempts...but then I moved to another charger when one opened up and everything was fine with that one).

14. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

What did tesla say?
    I would have just moved to another supercharger

15. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Curious to know how this story ends. I’ve seen a similar circumstance when the cable was not fully pushed in to the port but seemed to be well seated.

16. Brandon332

Brandon332 Member

Thanks everyone for the help. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I had to continue the trip. I have no useful news here, I was on hold with Tesla, and after 45 minutes it just started charging so I hung up. Still unsure of the issue. And FYI, for the 1st 20 minutes or so we were experimenting, so I was only waiting on the call for about 20 minutes.

17. systemcrashed

Is it possible your battery needed to cool down a bit before charging? You should have tech support check your logs during that charge attempt.

18. Brandon332

Brandon332 Member

Didn't think to have them check the logs. I doubt it was overheating, only because of the rest of the trip. For the first day of the trip, it was 100 degrees outside, with 6 people and AC on. We used 3 superchargers that day and all worked well. This latest time when it failed was only 76 degrees out. And the Amps kept going up then back down, as if it was trying, so I'm not sure what that means.

19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. Since other people were charging at that location and you tried other stalls, one other thing you should keep in mind if it ever happens again is to stop charging, remove the charge cable, and reboot the car by holding both scroll wheels down simultaneously (while the car is on) until both screens go black, then release. The car will reboot in a minute or two. Then try charging again.

20. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I would still have them pull the logs and you should probably try supercharging again to see if the problem is reproducible or just a one-off situation. There may be a contact that is bad or something and you could encounter this again and it not self resolve.