Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP: Stuck at a supercharger and the car won't charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I need help. At a supercharger with 5 other people needing to come back from a road trip. 8 Miles to empty and the car isn't supercharging. The light on the charge port is green and blinking fast. The dash says "supercharging, 1 hour left" but it has been at 8 miles remaining for almost a half hour. It says charging at a rate of 3 miles per hour, voltage is high but amps are at 0. It's weird, the amps will rise from 0 to about 35 quickly, stay for a second then go back down to 0. I tried other stations at this charger and other people were here so it isn't the location. Thoughts? HELP PLZ :)

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 417
Sometimes one of the chargers is just broken or partially operating. I had this happen to me in Fountain Valley, CA recently (the charger I was using would consistently shut off after 1-5 minutes on each of my 10+ attempts...but then I moved to another charger when one opened up and everything was fine with that one).

Reactions: travis010
Thanks everyone for the help. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I had to continue the trip. I have no useful news here, I was on hold with Tesla, and after 45 minutes it just started charging so I hung up. Still unsure of the issue. And FYI, for the 1st 20 minutes or so we were experimenting, so I was only waiting on the call for about 20 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: DriveMe
Thanks everyone for the help. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I had to continue the trip. I have no useful news here, I was on hold with Tesla, and after 45 minutes it just started charging so I hung up. Still unsure of the issue. And FYI, for the 1st 20 minutes or so we were experimenting, so I was only waiting on the call for about 20 minutes.
Is it possible your battery needed to cool down a bit before charging? You should have tech support check your logs during that charge attempt.

Is it possible your battery needed to cool down a bit before charging? You should have tech support check your logs during that charge attempt.
Didn't think to have them check the logs. I doubt it was overheating, only because of the rest of the trip. For the first day of the trip, it was 100 degrees outside, with 6 people and AC on. We used 3 superchargers that day and all worked well. This latest time when it failed was only 76 degrees out. And the Amps kept going up then back down, as if it was trying, so I'm not sure what that means.

Still unsure of the issue. And FYI, for the 1st 20 minutes or so we were experimenting, so I was only waiting on the call for about 20 minutes
Sorry to hear about your problem. Since other people were charging at that location and you tried other stalls, one other thing you should keep in mind if it ever happens again is to stop charging, remove the charge cable, and reboot the car by holding both scroll wheels down simultaneously (while the car is on) until both screens go black, then release. The car will reboot in a minute or two. Then try charging again.

Didn't think to have them check the logs. I doubt it was overheating, only because of the rest of the trip. For the first day of the trip, it was 100 degrees outside, with 6 people and AC on. We used 3 superchargers that day and all worked well. This latest time when it failed was only 76 degrees out. And the Amps kept going up then back down, as if it was trying, so I'm not sure what that means.
I would still have them pull the logs and you should probably try supercharging again to see if the problem is reproducible or just a one-off situation. There may be a contact that is bad or something and you could encounter this again and it not self resolve.