Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, Summon Standby is Emptying Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I parked my model s 100d with 50% remaining at the airport and left for with plans to return in 8 days. I noticed that idle drain is a frightening 6% a day (~5kwh). I usually get about 1-2% a day of drain but that went way up when summon standby is on. If this keeps up, my battery would be at 5-10% when I return, maybe less if the weather gets colder, which would make it iffy to get home.

Is there a way to then this off remotely? I am about 1200 miles away now...

Summon standby should turn off automatically if your Tesla app shows that you are more than a mile or so from the car.

So I parked my model s 100d with 50% remaining at the airport and left for with plans to return in 8 days. I noticed that idle drain is a frightening 6% a day (~5kwh). I usually get about 1-2% a day of drain but that went way up when summon standby is on. If this keeps up, my battery would be at 5-10% when I return, maybe less if the weather gets colder, which would make it iffy to get home.

Is there a way to then this off remotely? I am about 1200 miles away now...

Summon standby should turn off automatically if your Tesla app shows that you are more than a mile or so from the car.

It will turn off automatically when the battery reaches 20% state of charge. If that won’t work for you, see if a family member or friend can go to the car and turn it off for you.

Standby works 24/7 to keep your car alert and connected. This takes significant juice and is good to remind the rest of us to turn off all the extra gadgets when the car is going to be stored for any length of time.

Best if the car is allowed to go into hibernation with most items shut down to preserve the battery for the owners return.

Merry Christmas to all out Tesla friends.

Paul

It has it uses... but needs to be geofences and likely time fused. I don’t notice the drain on a daily basis because it is off at home and I plug in at work. At the airport, it is terrible. I hope it auto turns off at 20% so I don’t go back to a dead car.

So much for "sustainable transport" when our cars are burning 5kwh just sitting still. That would increase my 7 person household consumption by 30% doing absolutely nothing. This shouldn't even by an option if thats the price. Multiply this over the fleet and it's an immense waste of energy. I would need to add 1400 watts of solar just to power summon standby. Joke.

Reactions: Big Earl and ucmndd
So much for "sustainable transport" when our cars are burning 5kwh just sitting still. That would increase my 7 person household consumption by 30% doing absolutely nothing. This shouldn't even by an option if thats the price. Multiply this over the fleet and it's an immense waste of energy. I would need to add 1400 watts of solar just to power summon standby. Joke.

I agree. And folks that know it’s usage will still use it because they don’t know how to put things in context like you just did.

Doesn’t this defeat Tesla’s mission?

If you can’t do something reasonably efficient then don’t do it all.

Definitely having more things in the app (or maybe TeslaFi since it has access to the API) would be an excellent idea.

That’s the real need. Anything that can draw above base power should be controllable remotely.

Any other option allows for human error.

There are cases you might want to use that power legitimately but you might even have a change of plans while away.

Reactions: boaterva
Third, we’re talking about summon here, not sentry.
Yes, this is about summon standby. It is eating about 5kwh a day. There should really be a warning about that. I wish this would be gel fenced so it is only on if your app is within a mile of your car.

The Tesla rep on the phone also thought it was sentry mode and asked me to turn it off from the app. He then realized that it wasn’t and cannot be remotely auctioned. Though he think it turns off at 20% state of charge. If it does then I will have 12% upon return. Otherwise, I will return to a dead battery. This all started at a 50% state of charge.

The power drain of 5kwh/day is really not acceptable and irresponsible. I didn’t realized it as I don’t generally park for long outside of work or home, and it is disabled at favourite locations by default. I will likely never use it again.

The issue is that you cannot disable it remotely. So if you left it on accidentally when you park it at the airport and leave for a week, you will loose 5-6kwh a day. I am loosing 6% charge a day, already down to 30% started at 50%, expected to come back to 4-6%. The only hope is for it to shut off automatically at 20% like sentry mode or overhear protection. I am not sure if it will happen though.