Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help talk me away from the ledge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have my test drive in less than 1.5 hrs.
I had committed mentally last week, as I have been seriously in love with the tech and looks of the MS.
Then, I mentioned my plan to my wife and brother-in-law... I got: "You're out of your F___ing mind!"

Here's the plan, maybe I am crazy... A little preface: I'm not a rich guy, I have a car from a time in my life when I didn't have as many obligations...
That being said:
I have a Porsche 911 C4 coupe that I very rarely drive. It's an 07 with 17,500 miles on it.
I have a Porsche Cayenne that I drive daily and revel in the wonderment that is 17 miles per gallon...

My plan was to sell the 911 and Cayenne and use the money from the 911 to down-pay the S.

Everyone thinks I'm insane. I picked up the 911 after having 3 nails removed from various tires and took my younger son for a ride. Now I'm debating getting rid of it.

So... Is the S really something that would be worth getting rid of 2 arguably fine vehicles for? I know that it would be a 1-way trip for me. What with private school and all, the chances of getting another 911 are slim and nil.

I had been reading the mechanical / technical issues thread, and it does give me some worry...

TIA

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. Own an Audi Q5 3.2T Quattro S-Line with every whistle and bell available. Like the OP I "revel in the wonderment" that is, in my case, 12 miles per 91 octane gallon. Fun times.

So I wanna trade it in for a Model S while it still has less than 30K miles on it, and never go to a gas station again.

BUT. Just found out yesterday that the power meter to my townhome in the tiny condo complex I live in is not in the underground garage like I thought, but on the other side of the complex far away from the garage. Virtually impossible to run conduit from my meter to my parking space. So I have to get the gas & electric company to come out, evaluate the electrical meter closet in the garage, determine if there's enough power going in and room for an additional meter, and if there is, get it permitted by the city, and if it's permitted by the city, spend thousands of dollars getting the work done. There goes the fuel savings, right down the drain.

This is the part where I still think that electric cars are like Model T's. We have a long, long way to go. The infrastructure is just not there. I am not a happy camper.

Then, I mentioned my plan to my wife and brother-in-law... I got: "You're out of your F___ing mind!"
Are they saying you're out of your mind because you can't afford it?

A little preface: I'm not a rich guy, I have a car from a time in my life when I didn't have as many obligations...
What with private school and all, the chances of getting another 911 are slim and nil.
It sounds like you've got two paid-off cars and money is very much an object.

Hi,
I had committed mentally last week, as I have been seriously in love with the tech and looks of the MS.

Here's the plan, maybe I am crazy... A little preface: I'm not a rich guy, I have a car from a time in my life when I didn't have as many obligations...
That being said:
I have a Porsche 911 C4 coupe that I very rarely drive. It's an 07 with 17,500 miles on it.
I have a Porsche Cayenne that I drive daily and revel in the wonderment that is 17 miles per gallon...

My plan was to sell the 911 and Cayenne and use the money from the 911 to down-pay the S.

Everyone thinks I'm insane. I picked up the 911 after having 3 nails removed from various tires and took my younger son for a ride. Now I'm debating getting rid of it.

So... Is the S really something that would be worth getting rid of 2 arguably fine vehicles for? I know that it would be a 1-way trip for me. What with private school and all, the chances of getting another 911 are slim and nil.

I had been reading the mechanical / technical issues thread, and it does give me some worry...

TIA

“Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.”

Please post photos of you and the fam in your new Model S in this thread and the "Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions" thread. Also, let us know what your wife and brother-in-law think of your Model S after it arrives.

Last edited:
“Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.”

Please post photos of you and the fam in your new Model S in this thread and the "Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions" thread. Also, let us know what your wife and brother-in-law think of your Model S after it arrives.

Haha, +1. All it will take is a 1 mile test drive.

definitely get the MS and sell the P-cars. I also have 08 9114S and a Range Rover, and there is no question that the MS is much more fun, luxurious, practical, economical, and "newest and coolest" of all cars.

When I take my kids to school in the MS, we get alll the attention as having the most awesome:cool: car, but not with the porsche or range rover.

I also find I don't drive the porsche much at all, it seems so loud, harsh, rough and just doesn't seem enjoyable driving. On the other hand, I always look forward to driving the MS!!

The MS will not disappoint you

Hi,

That being said:

So... Is the S really something that would be worth getting rid of 2 arguably fine vehicles for?
Yes. Take a nice long test drive and you'll be convinced.

I've complained a lot about the internal disorganization of Tesla Motors. But the car. Model S is the best car ever and there is no doubt about that. There is nothing quite like driving electric, and Model S is the current pinnacle of electric driving.

The 911 should cover about half the cost of the Model S if you get a good price for it, and the Cayenne will defray it even more. Now, if you don't believe you can raise the rest of the money to pay for the Model S, that's one thing (no point in buying a car only for the bank to seize it), but if you're pretty sure you can earn enough money for the rest of the Model S price, buy it. The savings in energy costs will be significant enough to defray some of the cost. (17 mpg vs. <400 kwh/mile -- look up your electric rates and your local gas prices.)

If you were the sort of person who took 1000 mile road trips regularly, I might give you different advice, since taking trips beyond the range of the car is still a bit of a pain. But you're not. You're on Long Island with cars with high gas usage, so I know you're not a big road tripper.

The Model S handles like a sports car, it has the ride quality of a touring car, it has more interior space than a station wagon and almost as much as an SUV, and it has the unique responsiveness which comes only with electric drive. Your only question should be what options to get. You'll love the car. So will your kids. So will your wife. Even your brother-in-law will, unless he's really really tall.

TIA,

I'll toss a wrench in here and ask that you may want to reconsider your original desire.

The Cayenne and the Model S are for two different purposes.
If you use the Cayenne as an offroad vehicle, or if you use it as a cargo hauler, then the Model S may not work out so well.

Check out the all-wheel drive cargo-hauling Tesla Model X instead.

Of course, you have already taken a Model S test drive, and are probably afflicted with 'Model S Fever'.
I completely understand. There appears to be no cure.

-- Ardie

Writing as somebody who also isn't rich and isn't going to be buying a Tesla unless they succeed with Gen 3...

You want the car but are concerned about the money because you have responsibilities. So, crunch the numbers and work out how much it will cost you. Then, when you have the hard numbers you should be able to make a more comfortable decision either way.

Are they saying you're out of your mind because you can't afford it?

It sounds like you've got two paid-off cars and money is very much an object.

No not that, because they see it as impractical. I probably live well below what my means would permit, I am not a credit user if I can help it.
Thanks Spells for the input!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice one... Hadn't heard that before now. Good saying.

- - - Updated - - -

TIA,

If you use the Cayenne as an offroad vehicle, or if you use it as a cargo hauler, then the Model S may not work out so well.
-- Ardie

Welll, actually I'm using the Cayenne as my daily driver / work vehicle. I occasionally have to haul a decent amount of stuff, and even with the Cayenne, the seats have to fold down. When you fold down the seats in the MS it's probably as big, just configured differently. I am NOT going to miss the Cayenne. The 911... I took it to the test drive. I probably will sell it at some point, but it's hard to let go of it now even though (or maybe precisely because) I don't drive it all that much.

I'll post back to the thread with my test drive impressions...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok,
I've just returned from the test drive. Great experience all-around. Didn't know that Tesla will take trades... Makes it more dangerous for me :)

Impressions:

The MS is smooth. It oozes. The 911 is a much more visceral experience. The 911 makes "that Porsche Sound" a sound that I have loved for many years. It's involving, requires attention to detail (it's a manual, I heel-and-toe, for example) but it's also work.
It's easy to get near-911 acceleration times out of the MS as it's just push down the pedal. Heck even stopping is just let off that same pedal.

I don't think it's going to be a replacement for the 911, unless I do a Performance model, but I don't think I'm yet ready for that type of commitment. Thinking I may cut back some options and take an MS as replacement for the truck (which I have always hated... I am NOT an SUV guy).

As I see it Tesla has a great product, great people working the front lines, committed fans, but also from what I'm reading, the ball is getting dropped a bit. Hopefully that will be brought up to the level of the other items. I'm impressed at the fit and finish, guess I was just a bit freaked out by all of the other threads about others with issues...

Oh, speaking of those with issues. When we pulled in from the test drive, my 911's front trunk (we have those too) was popped... Wasn't a glitch though. I sat on the key and probably activated the trunk release when I got in the MS <G>
Thanks again for everyone's input. Will update as things progress...

I'm not rich either. But my commute isn't cheap.

But I'll recoup 400-450/ month in fuel costs... or about $32K over the life if a 6yr loan.

I'f I subtract $450/month from my payment, what i'm left over with isn't too far above the payments I'm about to get rid of for a 2006 Toyota Sequoia I bought used. And with the 8y yr battery warrantee, I expect I'll keep it at least until yr, 8, which means I save another ~$11K in fuel after that.

Yes, It is going to cost me a bit more monthly right now... but the TCO numbers aren't nearly as bad as the initial sticker price suggests if you drive a significant amount.