Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help talk me away from the ledge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I see it Tesla has a great product, great people working the front lines, committed fans, but also from what I'm reading, the ball is getting dropped a bit. Hopefully that will be brought up to the level of the other items. I'm impressed at the fit and finish, guess I was just a bit freaked out by all of the other threads about others with issues...

Keep in mind that people are very vocal on issues here.

Unfortunately we don't quite have a Yelp or Amazon style positive/negative review system here, so you can't quite get a good vs. bad review system to guide you to the true quality of the product.

I'm sure I'm joining hundreds or thousands of other users on here that have never had any issues with the car (ok, I had a flat once - hardly Tesla's fault - and even the lack of a spare didn't hurt me at all. Simply used the Tesla repair kit to fix and was on my way in 10 mins).

But what I have learned from the negative reviews is that Tesla stands behind their product.

However, I can imagine that people get upset when they have to leave the car with Tesla for a few days. I get MSWS (Model-S-Withdrawal-Syndrome) from just dropping my car of to get washed for 2 hours every few weeks! Sadly there is no cure for MSWS yet... but there is apparently some hope on the horizon... something to do with an 'X' ?

I am an enthusiast like you as well. I have owned a P car in the past. But, I don't think I will go back to an ICE car. My car before the S was a BMW 1M Coupe. Fast, Quick, and fun to drive. But....I sold it for our S and have never looked back.

But here are some hard facts I computed last night based on our 3 months of ownership with the S:

Over the first 2926 miles, the Model S has cost me 3.3 cents per mile for energy(using my KWH hour rate here in FL - total energy used was 938KWH).
Compare this to my 2011 BMW 1M Coupe - same mileage cost me 15.6 cents per mile (based on average Mpg figures and costs paid for gasoline).

So...I enjoy driving the Model S more, my energy consumption rate is roughly 20% of what it used to be, and I have the "Tesla Grin". What else could one want.

@stsanford, it sounds like you had an enjoyable experience with the Model S test drive, good to hear. :smile:

Like the OP I "revel in the wonderment" that is, in my case, 12 miles per 91 octane gallon. Fun times.
So I wanna trade it in for a Model S while it still has less than 30K miles on it, and never go to a gas station again.

<snip>

There goes the fuel savings, right down the drain.

Depending on how much the installation costs, and how much you drive, you could break-even within the first year. Just to play with some numbers (please gently correct me if I'm off on some of them!):

Gas costs and usage:
- Premium gas ranges from $4.29-$4.89 in your area according to SanDiegoGasPrices/GasBuddy.
- Average of the four reported prices: $4.51.
- 12K miles per year / 12MPG = 1000 gallons.
- 1000 gallons * $4.51/gallon = $4,510 in fuel costs.

Electricity costs and usage:
- $0.30 per kWh (Based off this PDF)
- Model S consumes 330Wh/mile according to Tesla.
- 12K miles * 330 watt hours per mile = 3,960 kilowatt hours per year.
- 3,960 kWh * $0.30 = $1,188 per year.

$4,510 - $1,188 = $3,322 per year (assuming electricity/gas prices remain stable).

This forum is probably not the best place to get objective advice. After all, almost everyone here is biased towards the car. Especially after having lived with it now.

I'd say that you honestly have all the information you need in order to make a great decision. Whatever you decide, I'm confident it will be the best for your situation.

Go right over the ledge, don't ever look back. My 2000 Porsche Boxster never came out of winter storage this year, as it has been permanently displaced by my S85. The Porsche is now for sale if anybody wants it! I can barely drive my 2007 BMW 328xi on long trips (which would require a Supercharger) anymore, the engine now sounds to my ears like it has gravel in the pistons, and it is technologically stunted. It will be sold as soon as soon as the Superchargers land near me. Trust us, this is a decision you will *not* regret.

Stsanford, I own a 1995 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (993) with 33K miles on it. I have owned it since '95 and thought that I will never sell it. It is my weekend car. I picked up my Model S last Thursday (May 16). I am seriously thinking of getting rid of the Porsche. I don't see the need for it anymore.

Same here, have owned Jaguars since 1970, never thought I would own anything else for the weekend car. Once I drove the model s I fell in love and sold my 1997 XK8 Coupe which had 38000 miles. I still own a 99 ML430 Mercedes and hate when I have to drive it. Feels noisy and klunky and so inferior to the Tesla. Still cannot wait to drive the Tesla and find I make excuses just to go for a ride.

I have a 2008 Audi R8 that has been driven exactly 3 times since I've gotten my P85 in March. The Audi now sits and I am seriously considering selling it. The best comparison I can make is this: the R8 is like the sleekest, coolest and shinyest flip phone you could have bought a few years ago. The Model S is the car equivalent of a modern day smart-phone. (think Motorola v60 vs iPhone 5) Once you have it, all the other cars will seem like flip phones from the last decade... and it won't matter how they are dressed up

they will think you are crazy until you take them for a ride... 5K miles on the S and I have zero regrets. like you, not a millionaire, had to sell to move up. my wife was skeptical at first, then a few weeks after taking delivery, her typical response to inquiring friends became: "this car is like driving the future and the future is f-ing awesome!" one time she called me up on the phone while she was driving just to say "I love this car, I LOVE THIS CAR!"

owning one of these things changes the way you think about the world and what is possible!

I think of it as a gift from a billionaire who could have just as easily hung up his coat and gone yachting for the rest of his life after pay pal, instead, he put it all on the line to do something very cool for the world!

JUMP!

Similar situation here to many who have responded. My P85 replaced a 2012 M-B CLS550 that I LOVED, but I don't even slightly regret giving it up. I also had a 2009 Carrera S Cabriolet that sat neglected once the Tesla arrived. I sold it to my local dealer for a very strong price and have zero regrets. I kept a 2009 SL63 because it's more comfortable around town than the 911 was and serves as a long-distance (TX to CA) road trip car, but the P85 gets the most attention. It's absolutely phenomenal.

I'm going to be as impartial as I can here.

I have two major regrets about buying this car.

1) I should've sprung for the P85 instead of the S85. Not that the S85 isn't quick. I just decided after a few months of driving that the extra whoop of the P would've been worth it for me, in hindsight.

2) The software isn't done yet. Oh wait. Updates will come to me. Guess I don't have to worry about this one.

Don't get worried about the technical issues thread. It's a concentration of issues from a relatively small subset of users. I have a fairly early production car. I had a defective inverter replaced early on and a cracked windshield, both early production issues which have now been resolved. Other than that, the car's been rock solid. Tesla has stood behind the car for me 100%.

Has your wife actually driven the car yet? That's probably the easiest way to win her over (as others have pointed out).

I've noticed recently that the Model S is equally admired/lusted-after by both men and women. Everyone I know, man or woman (gay or straight!), thinks it's simply incredible. Other cars seem to appeal to either men or women, but rarely ever both.

(So I guess this is my way of saying: JUMP! Also, get the tech package.)

Writing as somebody who also isn't rich and isn't going to be buying a Tesla unless they succeed with Gen 3...

You want the car but are concerned about the money because you have responsibilities. So, crunch the numbers and work out how much it will cost you. Then, when you have the hard numbers you should be able to make a more comfortable decision either way.

This is funny coming from "ItsNotAboutTheMoney". :biggrin:

I jumped off the ledge last year, and 10k miles later, I am still loving so many things about this car: instant acceleration, style, electronics, room for family, fact that I no longer think about my next Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Porsche, etc.

Only word of caution: your wife will want one too...