Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help tesla account hacked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
Help. My account was hacked last night. And Tesla has been no help. The buyer purchased a charger and changed my account email. Tesla support wouldn't help me since I couldn't verify the new email. I tried the old email with outlook and live and yahoo but that didn't work. Support said I could do transfer of ownership to a new account, but I would lose my free supercharging. WTF. Support said I had to verify the new email which I have no idea.

Well, I guess you can try sending a copy of your Title and maybe you can agree to go to a store or service center with documentation to try to get the account back.

Also, keep posting here and contact various EV sites about this. They'll like the story and then Tesla's Squeaky Wheel Service Team might swing into action and help you.

Reactions: X-pilot
Well, I guess you can try sending a copy of your Title and maybe you can agree to go to a store or service center with documentation to try to get the account back.

Also, keep posting here and contact various EV sites about this. They'll like the story and then Tesla's Squeaky Wheel Service Team might swing into action and help you.

I told the guy on the phone I could have a mobile sevice guy come and and verify but he said no.

I told the guy on the phone I could have a mobile sevice guy come and and verify but he said no.
Tesla being indifferent about owner concerns/problems?
_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.jpg

But hope you can get your account un-hacked. Definitely turn on 2FA when you get it back.

I called customer service back and got a girl this time. She was much more helpful. The first asshole just told me to **** off and it's not his problem even after I protested and gave options to verify my identity. She verified info about the car and myself and send me an update email request to my original account email with a copy of my license and stating the account was hacked so I don't have the current email address. Says I need to wait a few days for it to process. Hopefully it goes through and whoever processes the change on the back end doesn't bitch about not having the current email

And of course if Tesla cannot cancel the order be sure to notify your credit card company. You can also file a police report since that charger has a delivery address. If it was shipped, Tesla can also disable the unit once it connects to the internet.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Tesla must handle this as an identity theft, and act accordingly. It still can be a mess to straighten out, but they must help you prove your identity, and stop any unauthorized charges to your account. They must restore your account wholly. You will not lose your benefits because of an identity theft. Definitely recommend two factor authentication for account access. Unless you have the authenticator device (your phone or computer) you cannot access the account with stolen userid and passwords.

When you get this resolved, make sure you use a complex password that you don’t use anywhere else so you don’t get hacked again. Also, don’t click on links in suspect emails. Those are two common ways people get hacked.
Added an important component. So many of these result from password re-use… don’t use the same email/password combo to secure your car that you use to secure your account at cutecatvideos.com.

Reactions: VegarHenriksen
call your credit card company, reject the charges (as not authorized/approved) and ask for a new card to be issued adn sent Priority Mail. Once you receive the new card, do you have a Service Center close by that you can visit with ID?

So here is an Update.

I still had access on my mobile app and luckily the order history in there had the invoice for the fraudulent wall charger which had the email listed. They used the same email but "protonmail.com" as the domain. They kept the same password. I was then able to login and regain my account. The address listed on the invoice was 1300 Virgil Street, Las Vegas NV. I did a records search and found the address registered to Ramon Nungaray

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 11.53.35 AM.png

A few root problems with this entire scenario. I admit 2FA was needed and I enabled it now. But the two bigger issues.

1. Tesla allows someone to change your email address without any verification.

2. The billing address on the invoice was wrong so should have declined the card anyway. This is probably on my CC side.

3. Even after regaining access to my account. Tesla does not allow me to cancel the order via phone or online. Only email (which increases the chance of the order fulfilling)

99% of the time the address used to ship fraudulent things are not the actual house of the person who committed the crime
Yeah, if this person was intelligent enough to hack into an account, it would certainly be amateur hour if they shipped a charging unit to their own personal address. Even if the person living at the address is "in on it" (accomplice of the perp, etc) if they claim ignorance not much that can be done as far as proving they were in on the scam.

Yeah, if this person was intelligent enough to hack into an account, it would certainly be amateur hour if they shipped a charging unit to their own personal address. Even if the person living at the address is "in on it" (accomplice of the perp, etc) if they claim ignorance not much that can be done as far as proving they were in on the scam.
Pretend to be a delivery driver, come to the house with an empty box and hand deliver it, make a comment like “ooo I see it’s from Tesla, I love those cars”
If they happily accept the package, Kick them square in the nuts

I hate that this happened to you and I hope you are able to get it as well as any money back but I have a legit question. How do so many people have free supercharger miles ? I think that before you could get free miles with people using your link to order their car which mostly helped youtubers but how do regular people get them?

During the pandemic, Tesla had several incentives that offered Free Supercharging. There haven't been any to my knowledge since they started selling all they can make and sell out 6 months to a year's production in advance. Now, they don't offer the referral Free Supercharging incentives any more.

• Informative
Reactions: Desiberius