Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Tesla added $9k to my Model Y order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys!

Really need your advice on our situation.. I don’t have the budget to pay more but needed a car soon as we are going back to work in person in the new year.

I ordered a Model Y 7-seater Long Range RWD in Jan 2020 (yes 2020) and never received my order update (no delivery date update, no calls). I had trouble reaching the support team via the hotline. We were cautious during COVID and were lucky to be able to shelter in place. Fast forward to this summer, after getting vaccinated, we went to a nearby Tesla store to check order status, only to find out that the model we ordered was “cancelled” and in order to get any car, we will need to get the AWD dual motor version. We had 3 interactions with the stores and they were the most inconsistent experience ever:

1. The first time (July 2021) at store 1, we were told that we will get a free upgrade to AWD according to an internal support article about the RWD discontinuation situation. The sales people at the store helped submit a request for the upgrade. We were told we would hear back in 2 business days and get a new delivery date.

2. We heard no news after 2 weeks, and we went back to the store and met with another representative. He promised us the same thing as our first visit but asked me to upgrade my Tesla order to AWD so that I can get a new delivery date. I did that in the store and saw that the price increased by $9k. The person said that we won’t be charged because the delivery team will honor my original price based on the internal support ticket. I asked to adjust the price in my purchase agreement and he said he will follow up.

3. A few weeks later, after a bunch of back and forth, the guy emailed us and said that we have to pay the higher price on the purchase agreement and give no reason to the inconsistency. We followed up and followed up and heard nothing.

4. We went to store 2 near us in October 2021 and explained the situation with the rep there. She heard the story and submitted a ticket to investigate. A few days later, we got a call from her. She said that Tesla won’t honor the original price and have only historically honored the “free upgrade” for FSD price increase ($6k to $10k, which did not apply to my situation) and that was what the support article the reps at the store told me about. I was so confused because it was not consistent with what we have been told in our first two visits.

Thank you for reading this. Would appreciate any thoughts and advice. All in all, the price of my car increased from ~$70k to ~$80k and the delivery is super delayed. We are expecting a new baby this month and this is not something we have budgeted for. We want a 7-seater baseline EV, and do not want to pay a premium for AWD. Feeling very stuck with Tesla now as you know how hard it is to buy a car these days sigh.

I'm going to maybe go against the grain here, but if I were you, I would buy a Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivan and save a whole bunch of money in the process. If $70K to $80K feels like too much of a stretch, then the chances are that you were probably stretching a little bit to justify spending the $70k to begin with. No matter how bullish people are on Tesla or EVs, cars are still not a great place to spend a bunch of money on because you aren't going to recoup that. In addition to that, sliding doors on minivans are AMAZING and you will really appreciate it with having a baby and the ease with which you can transfer them in and out of car seats (not to mention getting them in and out in tight parking lots). I'm still driving around my 2008 Toyota Sienna because I absolutely love having a minivan with young kids and a dog and it's been an excellent car and even the Model Y (which I have on order) is never going to be as capable as the Minivan (which is why the MY will replace my sedan, not the minivan).

EVs are here to stay and their prices are going to continue to climb down. In 4-5 years, they will be a lot cheaper and probably also have much better range and you will also have a lot of other options in the market. I think the prudent and practical thing to do would be to look into getting a plug-in hybrid minivan like the Pacifica to tide you over at least for the next several years, and maybe when prices come down, you can switch to a full EV. I'm still going to hold out for an Electric Minivan before I get rid of my Sienna.

PS - It sucks, but I don't think you are going to have much luck trying to fight your case with Tesla, trying to get them to honor the original price on the RWD.

I went through a similar experience with my MYSR order. They wouldn't budge. Each dept will use the other dept as an accountability shield and the buck stops nowhere when it comes to getting order issues ironed out. The most organized team for this is the Order Support team - OrderSupport@Tesla.com. You can also reach an order support team at 510.249.3100.

Reactions: Jo_cali
. We want a 7-seater baseline EV, and do not want to pay a premium for AWD. Feeling very stuck with Tesla now as you know how hard it is to buy a car these days sigh.
Then you do not want a model Y, as the standard range model Y no longer exists, so you need to move on to some other choice.

This also reads as if you went from January 2020 to "This summer" (so more than a year) without even checking on your order. Thats what you said, anyway.

You dont have any other choices other than buying the AWD model Y or moving to a different brand. There isnt any place to really escalate this to, and even if there was, its unlikely you would get any traction because "I ordered in Jan 2020, Fast forward to summer of 2021".

Also, unless you have no car to haul your baby around, you should wait a year or two to get any car. Newborn babies do not need to go anywhere soon, so you really do not need the new toy now.

Unless the OP sold it, they bought a used model 3 in 2019, so should still have that, unless they sold it to try to cash in or something.

hey guys! Need your advice on how we can make Tesla compensate some of our losses because of their negligence...

We purchased a 2018 model 3 CPOa month ago. The car was at our local delivery center. Our delivery contact said there was a paint issue that they need to work on three weeks ago and rescheduled our delivery.. she got back to us again and said that there’s more paint issue that they need time to work on.. our delivery got rescheduled to a week later again. They didn’t provide any details and just told us that the paint issue is not reflected in the product pictures...

1) I’m concerned and curious what kind of paint issue it could be to take forever to repair?
2) I’m very pissed about it since we have car loan check approved and started paying interest but still couldn’t have the car.. I sold my old car and have to Uber for my commute ($40/day)
3) This delay is on top of a price hike of 14% of our order price due to a pricing glitch...

Overall the customer service is slow and irresponsive. I hope to get advice on how to escalate.. we really hope Tesla can do something about it.

I'm going to maybe go against the grain here, but if I were you, I would buy a Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivan and save a whole bunch of money in the process. If $70K to $80K feels like too much of a stretch, then the chances are that you were probably stretching a little bit to justify spending the $70k to begin with. No matter how bullish people are on Tesla or EVs, cars are still not a great place to spend a bunch of money on because you aren't going to recoup that. In addition to that, sliding doors on minivans are AMAZING and you will really appreciate it with having a baby and the ease with which you can transfer them in and out of car seats (not to mention getting them in and out in tight parking lots). I'm still driving around my 2008 Toyota Sienna because I absolutely love having a minivan with young kids and a dog and it's been an excellent car and even the Model Y (which I have on order) is never going to be as capable as the Minivan (which is why the MY will replace my sedan, not the minivan).

EVs are here to stay and their prices are going to continue to climb down. In 4-5 years, they will be a lot cheaper and probably also have much better range and you will also have a lot of other options in the market. I think the prudent and practical thing to do would be to look into getting a plug-in hybrid minivan like the Pacifica to tide you over at least for the next several years, and maybe when prices come down, you can switch to a full EV. I'm still going to hold out for an Electric Minivan before I get rid of my Sienna.

PS - It sucks, but I don't think you are going to have much luck trying to fight your case with Tesla, trying to get them to honor the original price on the RWD.
I've heard great things about the Pacifica! 32 mile battery, good overall quality and features, carpool sticker and that sweet tax credit. Only drawback is it's pretty delayed (they are taking 2022 orders right now).

I've heard great things about the Pacifica! 32 mile battery, good overall quality and features, carpool sticker and that sweet tax credit. Only drawback is it's pretty delayed (they are taking 2022 orders right now).
I would pile n and agree with this. a buddy with kids has had one a couple years and raves about it. No gas use ar4ound town, which is most of his driving,. range is endless when he needs etc. and I’m speaking as a M3P owner who loves teslas.

This is a tough one. Like the others have said, you most likely will not get any reduction in price from Tesla. At this point, even if you were to buy a new MYLR7 the wait would be 6+ months at the very least. Needing a 7 seater puts you in a tough spot because there isn’t much else to choose from. The Hyundai EV suv might work, buts not a 7 seater. Now matter how you slice it, you really won’t get anything in a month. Everyone is waiting.

You could try and find a used MYLR7 but it would cost about the same as a new one.

The price for the car you ordered didnt increase, they are giving you the price of the alternative as it stands TODAY after several price increases. From observing many others who were in the same position, many already changed their order months back when the price difference was only $2000-3000. Why didn't you change your order then? You also had the option to change it to SR RWD 7 seater which would've enabled you to get a refund. Seems you had many opportunities to act and didn't.

Also sounds like they screwed you. They probably don't deserve your money so probably best to go elsewhere.
Screwed? Not really. He reserved a trim level Tesla doesn’t make. The AWD version costs 9K more than the non existent trim he reserved so he is being forced to pay more to get more because Tesla isn’t offering less.

The sales people are inept and untrained which is why he was erroneously told he would be getting something for nothing.

I would not call it “screwed” though.

1. I also agree about the Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivan recommendation. We rented the non-hybrid version on vacation in Yellowstone and it was great. Would absolutely do that again.

2. In the terms of the order agreement, Tesla states: "We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order" so there isn't much you could be in an arbitration case about the $9K. It's bad PR and poor customer service, but that's kinda the Tesla way.

Screwed? Not really. He reserved a trim level Tesla doesn’t make. The AWD version costs 9K more than the non existent trim he reserved so he is being forced to pay more to get more because Tesla isn’t offering less.

The sales people are inept and untrained which is why he was erroneously told he would be getting something for nothing.

I would not call it “screwed” though.
I agree, it an unfortunate situation and there are no good options here with Tesla as far as a MY is concerned. Wait period is too long ( and uncertain) even if you are willing to pay the price. Please consider all the factors in the various posts and do what is best for you and your family.