Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Tesla added $9k to my Model Y order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screwed? Not really. He reserved a trim level Tesla doesn’t make. The AWD version costs 9K more than the non existent trim he reserved so he is being forced to pay more to get more because Tesla isn’t offering less.

The sales people are inept and untrained which is why he was erroneously told he would be getting something for nothing.

I would not call it “screwed” though.
Fixed: "Not really. He reserved a trim level *tesla offered at the time and then withdrew without notice*. You cannot possibly blame him for ordering something that was listed on the website as a viable option at the time. It's a bit sad Tesla are taking orders on models they do not intend to supply.

I’m confused, you originally were going to pay $70k for a 7 seater standard range Y, now it’s $80k?
You can get a 7 seater Model Y for $59k now. Sure, that’s white, Gemini wheels and no FSD. You could fully load the car without FSD and still be well below $70k.
Even if you add every option possible; FSD, red paint, 7 seater, white interior, 20” wheels, tow hitch, it’s not $80k.
Am I missing something?

Reactions: qdeathstar
Fixed: "Not really. He reserved a trim level *tesla offered at the time and then withdrew without notice*. You cannot possibly blame him for ordering something that was listed on the website as a viable option at the time. It's a bit sad Tesla are taking orders on models they do not intend to supply.
I didnt blame him. Surely it was not great from a customer relations standpoint but he wasn’t screwed.

I’m confused, you originally were going to pay $70k for a 7 seater standard range Y, now it’s $80k?
You can get a 7 seater Model Y for $59k now. Sure, that’s white, Gemini wheels and no FSD. You could fully load the car without FSD and still be well below $70k.
Even if you add every option possible; FSD, red paint, 7 seater, white interior, 20” wheels, tow hitch, it’s not $80k.
Am I missing something?
I did the math as well…

Reactions: Kairide
your first mistake was to wait 6-7 months to contact Tesla after you placed an order with no update. I would be all over the issue even 6-7 days after my online order for anything.
No help in rehashing "mistakes" - but it sure would be helpful to have a copy of the "memo"

Tesla, in some ways, has gone from the new kid on the block to the newest bully on the block. Success had gone to it's head (hi, Elon) and as the competition builds, this will bite them in the butt

1. I also agree about the Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivan recommendation. We rented the non-hybrid version on vacation in Yellowstone and it was great. Would absolutely do that again.

2. In the terms of the order agreement, Tesla states: "We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order" so there isn't much you could be in an arbitration case about the $9K. It's bad PR and poor customer service, but that's kinda the Tesla way.
Don't you just love contracts of adhesion? Not just bad PR, but a notice from them earlier in the process would have been nice. Or how about this: like the early cars with locked out full battery - lock out the front motor and let him upgrade later if he wishes?

Well they ‘intended’ to offer that model but changed plans. Lots of folks were in the same boat, ordering the LR RWD and having to change their orders, either to AWD or some to the SR. It’s a shame happened to the OP, but it sounds like they didn’t check in for over a year…. We’re all just commenting here with no responses from OP as well so….

Am I missing something?
Same, math looks off. On 7/4, I ordered MYLR, blue paint, white interior, 7 seat w/ tow. It was on delivered 10/18 and wasn't $70k much less $80k.

Just gotta say something....

If you look at the OP's posts, everything seems a tad incredulous. Placed order for CPO late August 2019, got 'screwed' on price; Early Sept, 2019, got 'screwed' on delivery; Jan 2020 placed order for MY and got 'screwed' again? Didn't check on order for 1.5 years??... Eh.

To my untrained eye... looks like someone likes to post negative and watch the responses. Never any updates to his 'conundrums' either. 🤔

Hopefully not a short-seller, with today's stock prices!!!!! ;)

OP, we have a Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle and its the most Tesla-like Minivan you can get right now. We routinely go 1500 miles between gas station fillups and the van is just awesome. That said, good luck getting one right now. The factory in Windsor has only operated 15 weeks out of this year and they are not being produced in high numbers. Most dealers want MSRP + $5K or may order one for you at MSRP but will be 3-6 months.

I'm going to maybe go against the grain here, but if I were you, I would buy a Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivan and save a whole bunch of money in the process. If $70K to $80K feels like too much of a stretch, then the chances are that you were probably stretching a little bit to justify spending the $70k to begin with. No matter how bullish people are on Tesla or EVs, cars are still not a great place to spend a bunch of money on because you aren't going to recoup that. In addition to that, sliding doors on minivans are AMAZING and you will really appreciate it with having a baby and the ease with which you can transfer them in and out of car seats (not to mention getting them in and out in tight parking lots). I'm still driving around my 2008 Toyota Sienna because I absolutely love having a minivan with young kids and a dog and it's been an excellent car and even the Model Y (which I have on order) is never going to be as capable as the Minivan (which is why the MY will replace my sedan, not the minivan).

EVs are here to stay and their prices are going to continue to climb down. In 4-5 years, they will be a lot cheaper and probably also have much better range and you will also have a lot of other options in the market. I think the prudent and practical thing to do would be to look into getting a plug-in hybrid minivan like the Pacifica to tide you over at least for the next several years, and maybe when prices come down, you can switch to a full EV. I'm still going to hold out for an Electric Minivan before I get rid of my Sienna.

PS - It sucks, but I don't think you are going to have much luck trying to fight your case with Tesla, trying to get them to honor the original price on the RWD.
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! I’ll look into Pacifica. I haven’t heard of it before! Agree that I shouldn’t waste time on Tesla..

Just gotta say something....

If you look at the OP's posts, everything seems a tad incredulous. Placed order for CPO late August 2019, got 'screwed' on price; Early Sept, 2019, got 'screwed' on delivery; Jan 2020 placed order for MY and got 'screwed' again? Didn't check on order for 1.5 years??... Eh.

To my untrained eye... looks like someone likes to post negative and watch the responses. Never any updates to his 'conundrums' either. 🤔

Hopefully not a short-seller, with today's stock prices!!!!! ;)
LOLLLLLLS sorry for not being active on the forum, but my experience is real and every time I work with Tesla, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I’m very surprised about it every single time.

I did not check the order in 1.5 years this time because I ordered the car soon after they announced it. It wasn’t supposed to deliver in 8-10 months after I ordered. And COVID hit and I lost my job. So I wasn’t really to buy that car earlier this year until the past summer.

I went through a similar experience with my MYSR order. They wouldn't budge. Each dept will use the other dept as an accountability shield and the buck stops nowhere when it comes to getting order issues ironed out. The most organized team for this is the Order Support team - OrderSupport@Tesla.com. You can also reach an order support team at 510.249.3100.
Thanks! Curious - did you have any luck fighting your case?

your first mistake was to wait 6-7 months to contact Tesla after you placed an order with no update. I would be all over the issue even 6-7 days after my online order for anything.
100%. In hindsight, I really shouldn’t trust their online ordering system… I had a lot going on during COVID and wasn’t on top of it.. the store rep told me that because it was an online order, there wasn’t a sales person assigned to my order