Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help tesla realize their vision - vote for federal ev incentives!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time will tell, but I think Trudeau's approach is to respect what the provinces have accomplished over the last decade in spite of Harper's BS. It would be a mistake to roll in now and say "OK, here's what we are going to do!" He is taking 90 days to create a national policy that will compliment and support what is working at the provincial level. Those discussions are already under way and will accelerate through COP21, and then formalized by early Feb. 2016.

That's my take. Let's take stock early Feb. until then, I'm keeping a positive attitude.

Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

I hope she is enjoying her tax payer funded vacation since, by her own admission, "McKenna says no one expects Canada to announce its own national targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions in Paris."

Emissions targets from Paris won McKenna - National | Globalnews.ca

I guess I'm a "no one" since in my view, the least Canada can do, since there won't be any agreements reached at all, is set an example by announcing Canada's targets. But, surprise, surprise, we won't even do that. It makes no sense why Trudeau would bring along such a large delegation when he won't even announce our own targets. He could have at least reduced carbon emissions by leaving most at home.

Too cynical?

This released today. It's like I said. The only issue I have is that it doesn't mention EV's!! Keep tweeting!!

Collaborating with Provinces and Territories

The Government of Canada will provide national leadership and join with the provinces and territories to take action on climate change, put a price on carbon, and reduce carbon pollution. Together, we will:

• Attend the Paris climate conference, and formally meet within 90 days to establish a pan-Canadian framework for combatting climate change.
  • Set a truly national target that we will work together to achieve.
  • Ensure that the provinces and territories have targeted federal funding and the flexibility to design their own carbon pricing policies.

Investing in Clean Energy and Clean Technology

The Government of Canada will protect Canada’s communities and grow our economy by making significant new investments in green infrastructure and clean technologies. As part of this commitment, we will:

• Endow a $2 billion Low Carbon Economy Trust to fund projects that reduce carbon.
  • Fulfill our G20 commitment and phase out subsidies for the fossil fuel industry.
  • Work with the Provinces and Territories to develop a Canadian Energy Strategy to protect Canada’s energy security, encourage energy conservation, and bring cleaner renewable energy into the electricity grid.

Canada's Action on Climate Change - Canada's Action on Climate Change

This released today. It's like I said. The only issue I have is that it doesn't mention EV's!! Keep tweeting!!

Collaborating with Provinces and Territories

The Government of Canada will provide national leadership and join with the provinces and territories to take action on climate change, put a price on carbon, and reduce carbon pollution. Together, we will:

• Attend the Paris climate conference, and formally meet within 90 days to establish a pan-Canadian framework for combatting climate change.
  • Set a truly national target that we will work together to achieve.
  • Ensure that the provinces and territories have targeted federal funding and the flexibility to design their own carbon pricing policies.

Investing in Clean Energy and Clean Technology

The Government of Canada will protect Canada’s communities and grow our economy by making significant new investments in green infrastructure and clean technologies. As part of this commitment, we will:

• Endow a $2 billion Low Carbon Economy Trust to fund projects that reduce carbon.
  • Fulfill our G20 commitment and phase out subsidies for the fossil fuel industry.
  • Work with the Provinces and Territories to develop a Canadian Energy Strategy to protect Canada’s energy security, encourage energy conservation, and bring cleaner renewable energy into the electricity grid.

Canada's Action on Climate Change - Canada's Action on Climate Change

It drives (pun intended) me nuts!!! Let's give $2B of our hard earned taxpayers money to "projects that reduce carbon". We have a completed project driving on the roads, reducing carbon every day! I drive on 85% rain water (BC hydro dams). So could a ton more people in BC if we brought EV's within reach. That would be HUGE in reducing CO2. Plus, the federal government can do this without getting Provincial agreement (their latest BS excuse). We would be reducing carbon RIGHT NOW in each and every province without needing "collaboration" from the provinces (good luck with Alberta on that collaboration). Here's a fact for you:

"Tesla Motor's Model S sedan is now the best selling car in Norway, accounting for over 5.1 percent of the market. It knocked the Volkswagen Golf down a notch, now at number two with 4.6 percent, according to Reuters."

It's not just the best selling electric car. It the best selling car. PERIOD! Why not Canada? One reason: Government.

Our government is giving $2B for artsie/fartsie (that's a technical term) "projects that reduce carbon." Oh, and we're going to "Fulfill our G20 commitment and phase out subsidies for the fossil fuel industry." Ha! We going to fulfill a commitment we didn't fulfill! Now I've really heard it all! We don't just accept the BS shovel loads, we ask for more shovel loads. What's that saying about "fool me once, shame on you...". We're being fooled twice folks! Mark my words on that G20 commitment. We're not to pull the oil subsidies -- we're foolish to even think that.

Please wake me when the nightmare is over! I bet the sight seeing is nice in Paris though.

It drives (pun intended) me nuts!!! Let's give $2B of our hard earned taxpayers money to "projects that reduce carbon". We have a completed project driving on the roads, reducing carbon every day! I drive on 85% rain water (BC hydro dams). So could a ton more people in BC if we brought EV's within reach. That would be HUGE in reducing CO2. Plus, the federal government can do this without getting Provincial agreement (their latest BS excuse). We would be reducing carbon RIGHT NOW in each and every province without needing "collaboration" from the provinces (good luck with Alberta on that collaboration). Here's a fact for you:

"Tesla Motor's Model S sedan is now the best selling car in Norway, accounting for over 5.1 percent of the market. It knocked the Volkswagen Golf down a notch, now at number two with 4.6 percent, according to Reuters."

It's not just the best selling electric car. It the best selling car. PERIOD! Why not Canada? One reason: Government.

Our government is giving $2B for artsie/fartsie (that's a technical term) "projects that reduce carbon." Oh, and we're going to "Fulfill our G20 commitment and phase out subsidies for the fossil fuel industry." Ha! We going to fulfill a commitment we didn't fulfill! Now I've really heard it all! We don't just accept the BS shovel loads, we ask for more shovel loads. What's that saying about "fool me once, shame on you...". We're being fooled twice folks! Mark my words on that G20 commitment. We're not to pull the oil subsidies -- we're foolish to even think that.

Please wake me when the nightmare is over! I bet the sight seeing is nice in Paris though.

You are preaching to the choir...your comments here are the entire point of this thread.

I've been working day and night to enlighten our new leaders to Norway's best practice. Hell, that's why I signed up for Twitter...and I HATE social media (Twitter is powerful though, I must say).

If anyone has any great ideas on how to influence policy, I'm all ears. Canada's delegation is on their way to Paris now...so don't hold back. Now is the time.

I've done my part (and will continue to do so).

Norway: http://evroadmapconference.com/program/presentations15/OlaElvestuen.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

I've been working day and night to enlighten our new leaders to Norway's best practice. Hell, that's why I signed up for Twitter...and I HATE social media (Twitter is powerful though, I must say).

3 Days to #COP21!

If you don't want to do the YouTube video, feel free to copy and paste my efforts (serious time in...I'm passionate about this) to Minister McKenna:

Here's my response to Minister Mckenna's YouTube campaign invitation:

Ktown on Twitter:

(If you like) Send to:

Catherine McKenna (@ec_minister) | Twitter

or

[email protected]

CS-0VH3VAAAuK-o.png

Together, hopefully, we can accelerate the advent of sustainable transport in Canada!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is your wake up call, from Elon himself (10 days ago). The time for action is NOW-that goes for everyone!

Big Oil has Big Money. They got the (lobby) guns but we got the numbers...I've done the work, just "copy and paste"

Have a look:

Tesla’s Elon Musk Presses for Action on Climate Change at ‘Racing Extinction’ Screening - YouTube

2 Days to #COP21!

If you don't want to do the YouTube video, feel free to copy and paste my efforts (serious time in...I'm passionate about this) to Minister McKenna:

Ktown on Twitter:

(If you like) Send to:

or

[email protected]

CS-0VH3VAAAuK-o.png

Together, hopefully, we can accelerate the advent of sustainable transport in Canada!

I just sent this to Catherine McKenna:

===

Hon. Catherine McKenna,
Minister or Environment and Climate Change

I am very happy to see that there is finally some real excitement, a huge jump in media attention and soon some real action from the Canadian government on climate change. I wanted to wish you the best at the COP 21 conference and encourage you to make Canada a leader in this critical issue.

I am sure you are getting tons of advice from all directions, but I would like to share my view. I think there are 3 key technologies that will together make the biggest difference in reducing greenhouse gas emissions:

1. Renewable energy, especially solar. About 21 percent of Canada's emissions come from electricity generation (https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/international/Canada_Carbon_2006.png). There are great steps being made in this area, but much more could be done. As FIT program subsidies wind down (having been very successful in achieving their goals)
  2. Energy storage. As renewable energy becomes a bigger part of our electricity supply mix, we will need large-scale grid-level storage to match the irregular supply with the more predictable demand. Large-scale storage would also reduce costs and emissions by allowing energy from cleaner and cheaper sources to be stored at times of low demand for use in high-demand periods.
  3. Electric vehicles. Transportation is the source of another 30% of our emissions, and electric vehicles have been shown to be an excellent solution. The only remaining obstacles are to drive the costs down and to get manufacturers to produce more compelling EVs.
All three of these areas are good candidates for government-sponsored "nudges" -- temporary economic incentives to suppliers and consumers that make these solutions more attractive, to give them a chance to reach the volumes that deliver economies of scale, that will, in turn, remove the need for any subsidies or incentives.

The Liberal government pledged to reduce subsidies to the oil industry and apply the money instead to green initiatives. I encourage you to "think big" here and work with the provinces where needed. Some examples:

• Remove all taxes and fees on EVs, including GST/HST/PST and license registration fees.
  • Remove all taxes on solar and wind power system installations, including materials and labour.
  • Implement a "super-off-peak" electricity rate that is much lower than the off-peak rate, or even zero (as in Texas). This rate would be in effect during the night, for example from 1am to 5am, and it would provide an additional incentive for electric vehicle users, by lowering their "fuel" cost, while also making better use of surplus or low-cost electricity generation at night. Electric cars are mostly charged at night, so this has an additional benefit of using the batteries in the whole fleet of EVs as a form of distributed energy storage.
  • As FIT programs wind down, implement "Value of Solar Tariff" rate structures that reflect the broad range of benefits that solar power bring, such as reduced transmission and distribution costs, contributing to Canada's emission reduction targets, etc.
Thank you and good luck at the conference.

Appreciate everyone's contributions!!

1 Days to #COP21!

Ktown on Twitter:

(If you like) Send to:

or

[email protected]

CS-0VH3VAAAuK-o.png

Great post Peter!

Many of us have been saying this for almost 5 years...since we bought our first EVs...

If you keep more of Canadians hard earned money in their pockets (by eliminating EV taxes and duties), and surcharge the product costs of ICE vehicles (a la Norway), you will end up with far, far more EVs on our roads (the desired result)

I just sent this to Catherine McKenna:

===

Hon. Catherine McKenna,
Minister or Environment and Climate Change

I am very happy to see that there is finally some real excitement, a huge jump in media attention and soon some real action from the Canadian government on climate change. I wanted to wish you the best at the COP 21 conference and encourage you to make Canada a leader in this critical issue.

I am sure you are getting tons of advice from all directions, but I would like to share my view. I think there are 3 key technologies that will together make the biggest difference in reducing greenhouse gas emissions:

1. Renewable energy, especially solar. About 21 percent of Canada's emissions come from electricity generation (https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/international/Canada_Carbon_2006.png). There are great steps being made in this area, but much more could be done. As FIT program subsidies wind down (having been very successful in achieving their goals)
  2. Energy storage. As renewable energy becomes a bigger part of our electricity supply mix, we will need large-scale grid-level storage to match the irregular supply with the more predictable demand. Large-scale storage would also reduce costs and emissions by allowing energy from cleaner and cheaper sources to be stored at times of low demand for use in high-demand periods.
  3. Electric vehicles. Transportation is the source of another 30% of our emissions, and electric vehicles have been shown to be an excellent solution. The only remaining obstacles are to drive the costs down and to get manufacturers to produce more compelling EVs.
All three of these areas are good candidates for government-sponsored "nudges" -- temporary economic incentives to suppliers and consumers that make these solutions more attractive, to give them a chance to reach the volumes that deliver economies of scale, that will, in turn, remove the need for any subsidies or incentives.

The Liberal government pledged to reduce subsidies to the oil industry and apply the money instead to green initiatives. I encourage you to "think big" here and work with the provinces where needed. Some examples:

• Remove all taxes and fees on EVs, including GST/HST/PST and license registration fees.
  • Remove all taxes on solar and wind power system installations, including materials and labour.
  • Implement a "super-off-peak" electricity rate that is much lower than the off-peak rate, or even zero (as in Texas). This rate would be in effect during the night, for example from 1am to 5am, and it would provide an additional incentive for electric vehicle users, by lowering their "fuel" cost, while also making better use of surplus or low-cost electricity generation at night. Electric cars are mostly charged at night, so this has an additional benefit of using the batteries in the whole fleet of EVs as a form of distributed energy storage.
  • As FIT programs wind down, implement "Value of Solar Tariff" rate structures that reflect the broad range of benefits that solar power bring, such as reduced transmission and distribution costs, contributing to Canada's emission reduction targets, etc.
Thank you and good luck at the conference.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Clean Diesel Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq: CDTI) announced it is closing its manufacturing facility located in Markham, Ontario

http://www.streetinsider.com/Corpor...lose+Markham,+Ontario,+Facility/11146948.html

We are a leading global manufacturer and distributor of heavy duty diesel and light duty vehicle emissions control systems and products to major automakers and retrofitters.
Our business is driven by increasingly stringent global emission standards for internal combustion engines, which are major sources of a variety of harmful pollutants.

Probably seemed like a good name for a company when VW was spending huge sums on the "clean diesel" marketing tag line...

Sad to see those jobs and infrastructure leave Markham ON tho.

Interesting.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Corpor...lose+Markham,+Ontario,+Facility/11146948.html

Probably seemed like a good name for a company when VW was spending huge sums on the "clean diesel" marketing tag line...

Sad to see those jobs and infrastructure leave Markham ON tho.

Thanks for sharing. This brings us full circle to this: Is Ontario destined to become a relic of the auto industry?
First of many announcements I suspect. Brad Duguid/Ray Tanguay take note! Ray Tanguay named government 'car czar' in Toronto on Tuesday - Business - CBC News

I hope she is enjoying her tax payer funded vacation since, by her own admission, "McKenna says no one expects Canada to announce its own national targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions in Paris."

Emissions targets from Paris won McKenna - National | Globalnews.ca

I guess I'm a "no one" since in my view, the least Canada can do, since there won't be any agreements reached at all, is set an example by announcing Canada's targets. But, surprise, surprise, we won't even do that. It makes no sense why Trudeau would bring along such a large delegation when he won't even announce our own targets. He could have at least reduced carbon emissions by leaving most at home.

Too cynical?

Canuck-I hope you are feeling somewhat more optimistic:

CWCEGeFW4AEaKgN.jpg

Key Points of the Paris Climate Pact - NYTimes.com

Now on to implementation: Ontario to invest $20 million in stations to charge up electric cars - Page 6

Last edited:

Yes, I am. Not only more optimistic but also very surprised. I also admit I was wrong in saying no agreements will be reached. I still think we are past the point of no return, and circling the drain, but hopefully this will slow the ultimate flush.

Yes, I am. Not only more optimistic but also very surprised. I also admit I was wrong in saying no agreements will be reached. I still think we are past the point of no return, and circling the drain, but hopefully this will slow the ultimate flush.
Amazing...so happy to hear!
Love and agree with this btw: “The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind.”
Now, let's use our collective insight to help policy makers spend our tax $$ wisely:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/58632-Ontario-to-invest-20-million-in-stations-to-charge-up-electric-cars/page6

Amazing...so happy to hear!

I'm very happy to be wrong (and pleasantly surprised) on this issue.

Now, let's use our collective insight to help policy makers spend our tax $$ wisely

Agreed. Let's get to work on a federal EV rebate for Canada instead of that money going to the resource industries. I really want to be wrong twice!