Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help tesla realize their vision - vote for federal ev incentives!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well. Where do I start, first and foremost an ev , Prius or tesla or most other electric cars have a carbon footprint/cost perhaps as high if not higher than an ice. The cost of mining, refining, transportation and finally the cost of electricity are environmently costly and proven to be as high as driving ice its entire life. Giving an eco rebate is wrong, EV are not that environmentaly friendly, they are more sustainable for several reasons, efficiency for one. However this is not the point. I would be more in favor to have the government offer free parking or free charging instead of offering an incentive purchase an ev at least the sale of ev picks up.

I own a Tsla not for the misguided belief that it will save the world. instead I love the tesla for it s performance and low cost of operation, Guilt free performance, quiet and the instant torque that is so satisfying and intoxicating.
If you really want to save the environment stop buying stuff from China.!

- - - Updated - - -

One reason is that oil companies spend a lot of money lobbying politicians and donating a lot of money to politicians. The US is probably worse than Canada on this - see the Koch family that intends to spend $900 million dollars influencing the 2016 US election.

I don't agree with you statement! You are wrong!

Where am I wrong? The Kochs aren't spending a lot of money trying to influence public policy? Oil companies don't have a strong lobby?

No, they don't. And electric vehicle pollute more than gas vehicles too! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I own a Tsla not for the misguided belief that it will save the world...

That's pretty condescending. I haven't read one post here that said owning a Tesla would "save the world". I doubt you'd even find one person here who is naive enough to believe that. But there is something to be said to support a company that has built these superior electric vehicles, and also Superchargers right from the bottom of the east coast to the US on route all the way to close to those dirty tar sands in your Province that we all know are not doing anything at all to save the world but a lot to harm it. Perhaps that's the perspective many of us have here?

Well. Where do I start, first and foremost an ev , Prius or tesla or most other electric cars have a carbon footprint/cost perhaps as high if not higher than an ice. The cost of mining, refining, transportation and finally the cost of electricity are environmently costly and proven to be as high as driving ice its entire life. Giving an eco rebate is wrong, EV are not that environmentaly friendly, they are more sustainable for several reasons, efficiency for one. However this is not the point. I would be more in favor to have the government offer free parking or free charging instead of offering an incentive purchase an ev at least the sale of ev picks up.

In2oil: With all due respect, none of this makes any sense to me.

Well. Where do I start, first and foremost an ev , Prius or tesla or most other electric cars have a carbon footprint/cost perhaps as high if not higher than an ice. The cost of mining, refining, transportation and finally the cost of electricity are environmently costly and proven to be as high as driving ice its entire life. Giving an eco rebate is wrong, EV are not that environmentaly friendly, they are more sustainable for several reasons, efficiency for one. However this is not the point. I would be more in favor to have the government offer free parking or free charging instead of offering an incentive purchase an ev at least the sale of ev picks up
Charging my Tesla burns very few hydrocarbons as I do it overnight. It is now 2:00am in Ontario and currently only 5.8% of Ontario's electricity supply comes from hydrocarbons and that is from Nat Gas. So the current average emissions are 26 g/kWh which is quite low.

I own a Tsla not for the misguided belief that it will save the world. instead I love the tesla for it s performance and low cost of operation, Guilt free performance, quiet and the instant torque that is so satisfying and intoxicating.
If you really want to save the environment stop buying stuff from China.!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't agree with you statement! You are wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one side of the equation, producing the batteries and the cars is the issue.
Nevertheless, an incentive on a 100+ car doesn't make sense.

And it's not that green.. I just think the tesla is better than a ice in many levels and for me, instant performance torque is what really matters.

This is one side of the equation, producing the batteries and the cars is the issue.
Nevertheless, an incentive on a 100+ car doesn't make sense.

And it's not that green.. I just think the tesla is better than a ice in many levels and for me, instant performance torque is what really matters.

The only way your argument makes any sense is if you are comparing EV to no car at all ie: walking/running. If it's ICE vs EV, both take energy to manufacture, EV runs on sunshine, no contest. Tesla is addressing the entire cycle-zero emission Gigafactory with battery recycling capability, etc.

Incentives make sense on all EV's, no matter the price.

Thank-you for buying two Tesla's. You are helping to accelerate the advent of sustainable transportation. Enjoy the instant torque-all that matters.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just reached out to all media contacts and political leaders on these two things:

IMF Pegs Canadas Fossil Fuel Subsidies at $34 Billion | The Tyee

and

Volts for Oil | Fully Charged - YouTube

I find both incredibly disturbing and cannot sit idle and allow this to continue. Canadian taxpayers deserve to understand where their tax dollars have been hard at work. It's time for change.

It will be interesting to see if anything pops up in the news on this subject in the next few days. Thanks to TMC'ers who shared these two items.

- - - Updated - - -

BC Looks to Norway for Electric Vehicle Inspiration - Techvibes.com

VW news broke just over 2 weeks ago and it's had a massive impact on the auto industry.
There's just over 2 weeks to election...why can't we have a similar massive impact toward making sure it doesn't happen again?

I personally have sent the above email to most national media outlets, most local media outlets, party leaders, and local candidates. It took some of my time, but it's worth it...
I encourage you to do the same.

Business Behaving Badly | TVo_Org

Haha, don't mess with Greenpeace:

Greenpeace takes aim at VW with Halloween ad calling for affordable electric cars | The Drum

greenpeace_vw_ad_0.png

Last edited:
"Why does Norway — a country similar to B.C. in population, geography, and hydroelectric power — have more than 30 times the number of electric? And what would it take to close the gap?"

Cannot cross-post according to the RULES, so check the article here, post #58:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/55710-New-york-times-ev-incentives/page6

Catherine McKenna today named Environment Minister.

Catherine McKenna, Ottawa Centre MP, named minister of environment and climate change - Ottawa - CBC News

UN Climate Change Conference starts Nov. 30th. Policy frantically being crafted now.

If you agree that Norway is kicking some EV butt (they are), you may wish to ask your MP to forward this presentation on to MP McKenna:

http://evroadmapconference.com/program/presentations15/OlaElvestuen.pdf

Norway is aiming for 100% EV by 2025, and reducing GHG 40% by 2030.

Thank-you

- - - Updated - - -

In case any of you are hell bent on a carbon tax vs EV incentives, see discussion here. I think it's compelling (beginning post #26):

Bill Gates Dismisses Free Market's Ability To Counter Climate Change - Page 3

How about the Transport Minister, former astronaut Marc Garneau as well? :smile:

A second science based Minister, Navdeep Bains Innovation, Science and Economic Development.

Some email addresses:

Science Minster [email protected]

Environment Minister [email protected]

Transport Minister [email protected]

Navdeep Bairns doesn't have an email address listed, but probably follows same pattern as the others.

Last edited:
How about the Transport Minister, former astronaut Marc Garneau as well? :smile:

A second science based Minister, Navdeep Bains Innovation, Science and Economic Development.

Some email addresses:

Science Minster [email protected]

Environment Minister [email protected]

Transport Minister [email protected]

Navdeep Bairns doesn't have an email address listed, but probably follows same pattern as the others.

Appreciate these, thank-you.