Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Tesla/TrakSport chains, thingamajig not fitting on lug nut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys, just got the Tesla chains yesterday, trying them on today. I get how this is supposed to work, and I have the standard 19-inch pre-slipstream wheels (the good looking ones ;-) ).
From a cursory look, I do not believe I have lug nut covers on there, and nothing seems movable without tools. I have yet to break out my ratchet set...

So the instructions tell you to fit the red handle thing from the chains on the right-most lug nut. But try as I might, it will not fit. All the thing seems to do is scratch up the lug nut, and it seems to be daring me to just mash it home. I don't want to do that and ruin the finish here...
Am I missing something?

Resolution: the sleeve that covers the piece that fits on the lug nut was sticking. It sticks every time you take it off the car.

Problem:
View media item 116686
Solution:
View media item 116687See, it has to be showing it's teeth at you, like a primate trying to intimidate you.
A few gentle taps with a hammer and screwdriver combo freed the sleeve. It sticks every time I remove it from the car. Looks like I need to carry hand tools to avoid this problem if I need to put these on more than once on a trip.

Last edited:
Also, this is a second-hand kit, previous owner had only put them on once to test. At that point, he clearly struggled like I did, and he had tightened everything up like crazy. No good.

For the sleeve to move and free up the "teeth", that handle assembly needs to have some play. Make sure everything moves and is loosened before attempting to put it on the car. There is a hex nut in the middle of the red handle to help you with that if it gets stuck.