Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, Tesla wants me to buy a new tire after a failed tire patch job

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a flat tire punctured by small pin like object. Called tesla roadside assistance and had the tire sent to service center for repair. tesla patched the tire, and it started leaking air, basically a failed patch job. Had the tire sent the service center again via roadside assistance, and now they're telling me it can't be repair and wants me to buy a new tire.

The first roadside assistance guy that helped me identify the puncture and sent the tire to Tesla said it's totally repairable.
The second roadside assistance guy that identified the air leak told me ," This is a lousy job, you can't let Tesla get away with this."

I sent the tire back to service center (after patch repair) last Wednesday. For the past week I have left 3 voicemails (no call back), called dozens of times (most went straight to voicemail), and got hung up by a service center employee, hooray for great Tesla service. Now, that's not the main grudge, that was expected with all the new model 3s on the road...

BTW, this is Springfield NJ location.

What should I do at this point? Any advice? I didn't even bother asking how much the tire replacement cost would be. Of course I could be wrong that the damage to the tire could be beyond repair, but two roadside assistance guys both told me it's repairable.

20190408_001634.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Get the tire back from them and have a competent 3rd-party tire shop like Discount Tire (also named America's Tire in some parts of the country) repair it. Most Dicsount Tire shops do free flat repair.

If you do end up buying a new tire, get it from a competent 3rd-party shop where they can issue road hazard certificates if you want to buy them. Tesla's tires do not come with a road hazard warranty so you might be back in the same situation if the new tire gets a puncture. Road hazard certificates cover replacement of the tire if you get a puncture that's non-repairable.

It’s frustrating. I just purchased my second tire, thanks to all the construction here. I thought the second puncture could have been fixed, and it was attempted but it didn’t take. About $350/ tire out the door from Tesla.

Going forward, I’ve ordered some lift pads and I’ll find a place in Nashville that can do Tesla’s, but I was kinda up against it for these tires. I’m also learning a lot about when a tire can be repaired, although I suspect, as you do, that the Tesla service centers would rather sell you a tire.

If it were me, id just get the new tire and look for different options going forward, but then I tend to be really conservative when it comes to keeping my car in shape.

The Springfield location isn't great, but neither is Paramus. I had Costco patch/plug a tire for I believe $8 in my previous car and the tire had no issues for the rest of its tread life.

The Springfield location isn't great, but neither is Paramus. I had Costco patch/plug a tire for I believe $8 in my previous car and the tire had no issues for the rest of its tread life.
I'm currently driving with a loaner wheel, and Tesla has my wheel/tire. The best they are offering now is waive labor to replace my tire. I don't think I have any other option besides to buy the new tire now, they're literally holding my tire hostage.

I'm going to do the following:
1. File a complaint with NJ Consumer affair
2. File a complaint with Better Business Bureau
3. File in small claim court

Even if this doesn't work out, we'll learn the process and hopefully future owners will have an easier time. Also, Tesla needs to understand "Great car is how you get customers but Great Service is how you KEEP customers."

I'm currently driving with a loaner wheel, and Tesla has my wheel/tire. The best they are offering now is waive labor to replace my tire. I don't think I have any other option besides to buy the new tire now, they're literally holding my tire hostage.

Even if this doesn't work out, we'll learn the process and hopefully future owners will have an easier time. Also, Tesla needs to understand "Great car is how you get customers but Great Service is how you KEEP customers."

Drive to SC on loaner tire, pick up your tire, take it to Discount Tire for Repair and install on your car, return loaner tire to tesla.

just go to " Discount Tire/America's Tire" simple. zero DRAMA
I wish there's discount tire store near me, seems like it's a favorite tire store for a lot of folks on the forum. Of course there are other tire stores here and that's an option I should've done at the beginning.
Drive to SC on loaner tire, pick up your tire, take it to Discount Tire for Repair and install on your car, return loaner tire to tesla.
Good idea, I'm going to ask tesla to see if they can give me my tire back. The only concern is the hole that Tesla SC drilled to patch is now too close to the tread wall, the AAA roadside assistance person was not sure if it can be patched now.
snapshot20190424181207.jpg

“Holding your tire hostage” a little dramatic, no?

I don’t see what the issue is..they made a good faith effort to patch your tire and it was unsuccessful and now you logically need a tire...what’s am I missing?

I had a nail in my S and took it to the Springfield, NJ SC and they were unable to patch it and I bought a new tire. No drama or anything.

I have seen people selling almost brand new 18” aero tires with the wheels for around $750 for a set of four. If you are getting this many flats and drive in a construction zone, it may be cheaper for you to buy an extra set of four than paying $350 for a single tire.

Otherwise, I agree with others...buy your tires at a place that has a good warranty like Costco.

“Holding your tire hostage” a little dramatic, no?

I don’t see what the issue is..they made a good faith effort to patch your tire and it was unsuccessful and now you logically need a tire...what’s am I missing?

I had a nail in my S and took it to the Springfield, NJ SC and they were unable to patch it and I bought a new tire. No drama or anything.

Car dealers are notorious for not being able to patch tires that are easily repairable.Way more profit in the new tires and its real easy to fear monger people into a new tire. We really need laws against this kind of thing when it comes to car parts. The number of perfectly repairable tires getting disposed of is crazy. Same for things like brake rotors, the environmental impact of throwing away perfect car parts is mental.

Reactions: hlin07
Had a flat tire punctured by small pin like object. Called tesla roadside assistance and had the tire sent to service center for repair. tesla patched the tire, and it started leaking air, basically a failed patch job. Had the tire sent the service center again via roadside assistance, and now they're telling me it can't be repair and wants me to buy a new tire.
[...]
BTW, this is Springfield NJ location.
What should I do at this point? Any advice?

I know that Tesla service location, it's far from being well managed.

For any tire or wheel work, the LAST place I would go is a dealer.
ANY dealer of ANY car brand.
As other stated, take the tire to a reputable tire shop, and they will fix it right.

I wish there's discount tire store near me, seems like it's a favorite tire store for a lot of folks on the forum. Of course there are other tire stores here and that's an option I should've done at the beginning.

I'm in your area, and have successfully used the following tire shops in the past:
Rolf's Auto Craft: Google Maps
Eurosport of Westfield: Google Maps

Every DiscountTire franchise in our area is manned by rabid baboons with aggressive aversion to using torque wrenches.

Has anyone checked to see if Costco can do Tesla tire repair/change?
I was concerned, after reading several forum posts, that Costco might not have the proper lifting equipment.

A lift is a lift, and Costco's is no worse than anyone else's. Tesla's have the same jacking spot geometry as all other cars.
However, Costco has historically resisted working on tires that they themselves have not installed.
They are weird that way.

Good luck!
a

• Informative
Reactions: hlin07