Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help the wife and I decide between the 70D or the 85!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range is a weird thing, EPA is one thing but look at the range calculator.
Say at 90 degrees with AC on at 65mph, the difference is only 20 miles.
And you probably wont' charge at 100%. At 80% charge, the difference is 16, your driving style will probably mean 13 or 14.
And as the temp goes up or down this difference can change.
.. long story short .. we are splitting hairs over maybe 10mi range diff to 25mi range diff.

I dunno... those 25 miles would make the difference between range anxiety and comfortably arriving at my destination. Not all locations have superchargers nearby. This autumn, I'm driving to a destination that is 115 miles away from the nearest supercharger. The return trip to that supercharger would make me anxious if I didn't have the extra buffer.

First post!

The wife and I decided it was time to pick up a Tesla after our test drive in Los Angeles yesterday. We drove a 70D and loved it. Upon getting back to Tesla and building our own, we couldn't decide between the 70D or the 85. The car will likely be heading to Missouri sometime next year, so that plays into this as well.

With the 70D, we can get all the options we want, and the AWD.

With the 85, we can still get all the options we want, but we lose the AWD.

Me, being a male, likes the idea of the 85 because it's the flagship model, minus the "D" - So I can get the 85, gain more mileage, but lose the AWD. Or I can get the 70D, get all the options, still a stellar car, get AWD, but I lose some mileage and I don't have the 85 so any potential upgrades may(?) be limited.

I am sure this has been hashed out before, but going through about 8 pages of the forum didn't really yield what I was looking for.

As much as I like the 85, I think the 70D is the better choice, but need you experts to help us for sure!

As a Missourian who's been driving an S85 for almost 3 years, I think I can offer some insight into your decision.
1)Where in Missouri will you be living? Much of the state and surrounding states have no significant EV infrastructure. I live in the Springfield area and it is very difficult to get anywhere from here (St. Louis, KC (not bad really), Columbia, Tulsa, and Little Rock are all close enough, but barely for the 85). But if you'll be in St.L or KC area, your needs for Superchargers will be less and EV infrastructure in general (esp. in KC) is much better. Thus an 85 is important for me, if I were in KC or STL, 70 would suffice.

2)Where in Missouri--as regards weather? I've gotten by with RWD only even in some fairly sketchy winter weather, but I can tell you there were a few times I was wishing for front or AWD and a few trips I avoided for lack of same. So, again, if you're looking at rural MO where roads don't get plowed for hours or days after a snow or ice storm, then I'd lean toward AWD--that said, if you're in a rural area, you're more likely to ALSO need the 85kWh battery. I do have tire chains and they've saved me a few times. If your wife is driving, she may not be as inclined to try to put those on.

3)Rated range-when new, the 70 is likely quite adequate (other than the aforementioned longer trips), and you can hope that Tesla will meet their near term Supercharger goals and have adequate infrastructure to meet the needs by the time your range delines on the 70. For me, had I gone with anything other than the 85 3 years ago, I'd be in a real bind to get anywhere outside of the local Springfield area...even KC, in winter or strong rains is tough.

My vote, if you simply can't do the 85D, would be the straight 85 unless any of the above issues would sway your decision.

As a Missourian who's been driving an S85 for almost 3 years, I think I can offer some insight into your decision.
1)Where in Missouri will you be living? Much of the state and surrounding states have no significant EV infrastructure. I live in the Springfield area and it is very difficult to get anywhere from here (St. Louis, KC (not bad really), Columbia, Tulsa, and Little Rock are all close enough, but barely for the 85). But if you'll be in St.L or KC area, your needs for Superchargers will be less and EV infrastructure in general (esp. in KC) is much better. Thus an 85 is important for me, if I were in KC or STL, 70 would suffice.

2)Where in Missouri--as regards weather? I've gotten by with RWD only even in some fairly sketchy winter weather, but I can tell you there were a few times I was wishing for front or AWD and a few trips I avoided for lack of same. So, again, if you're looking at rural MO where roads don't get plowed for hours or days after a snow or ice storm, then I'd lean toward AWD--that said, if you're in a rural area, you're more likely to ALSO need the 85kWh battery. I do have tire chains and they've saved me a few times. If your wife is driving, she may not be as inclined to try to put those on.

3)Rated range-when new, the 70 is likely quite adequate (other than the aforementioned longer trips), and you can hope that Tesla will meet their near term Supercharger goals and have adequate infrastructure to meet the needs by the time your range delines on the 70. For me, had I gone with anything other than the 85 3 years ago, I'd be in a real bind to get anywhere outside of the local Springfield area...even KC, in winter or strong rains is tough.

My vote, if you simply can't do the 85D, would be the straight 85 unless any of the above issues would sway your decision.

We will be moving to Kansas City (area). Likely Overland Park.

.../ 2)Where in Missouri--as regards weather? I've gotten by with RWD only even in some fairly sketchy winter weather, but I can tell you there were a few times I was wishing for front or AWD and a few trips I avoided for lack of same. So, again, if you're looking at rural MO where roads don't get plowed for hours or days after a snow or ice storm, then I'd lean toward AWD--that said, if you're in a rural area, you're more likely to ALSO need the 85kWh battery. I do have tire chains and they've saved me a few times. If your wife is driving, she may not be as inclined to try to put those on. /...
What tires did you have when you resorted to the chains?

While the AWD wouldn't literally have more "stopping" traction, wouldn't it have more slowing traction due to four wheel regenerative braking?

Nope. The only thing slowing the car down is the friction between the tires and the road. It doesn't matter whether it's a disk brake or a motor slowing down the rotation of the tire, it's the same power being applied to slow you down.

(With regenerative braking you will not overpower the wheel and lock it up, but that's not an issue with anti-lock braking either.)

We will be moving to Kansas City (area). Likely Overland Park.

There was no 70 when I ordered. I only had the 60 and 85. Back then the $10 difference was worth the extra 50 miles of range to me. After 54k miles in Model S I'm very glad I got the 85. Many long trips would not have been possible and many days where charging even driving locally was just not convenient.

But today the difference between 70 and 85 is smaller. I honestly don't think it's worth the 10k difference. If I had the choice today I'd go with the 70. I would definitely pick the RWD. I love and use the front trunk a lot. Such a convenient extra storage. If money isn't an issue I'd go with the 90 of course!

I believe the D is the next generation and the single motor will be from the past in Tesla's history sometimes soon.

In terms of mileage, I don't see a big difference between the two.

With the 85 you will have the frunk microwave so you can fit a decent sized stroller if you have kids, and it would supercharge faster.

So more people can afford a Tesla, to reduce the minimum price. I think that won't be the case when the model 3 is available.

It's all speculation obviously, but IMO if any car wouldn't get just RWD is the Model X. The Model 3 is advertised as the mass production car, and as such needs the lowest entry price possible and that would be RWD.

It's all speculation obviously, but IMO if any car wouldn't get just RWD is the Model X. The Model 3 is advertised as the mass production car, and as such needs the lowest entry price possible and that would be RWD.
I meant Tesla won't care about the minimum price of the Model S when the Model 3 is available. But I agree, Model 3 will have RWD to make it more affordable.